The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 31, 2005, 11:04 PM   #1
Severian

Post Katrina: Refugees in your city

Let's say that you live in Lafayette, Lake Charles, or Baton Rouge, and that thousands of New Orleans refugees have come into your town. While the majority of them are decent citizens, some are without a doubt the same lowlifes they were before they evacuated. My question is does this change your routine; is there a genuine cause for concern? It looks like there are thousands of unemployed, short tempered refugees with not much left to lose.

I believe there is cause for concern. Those familiar with the seedier side of New Orleans would probably agree. Yeah, they're refugees. Yeah, they just lived through a horrendous natural disaster. However, I doubt those who lacked honor and morality before the storm would change. They'd more likely revert to their old ways in a new city.

I don't have a concealed weapons permit, so I'll have to be armed legal-style (armed only in my car and at home). Am I being too paranoid or are there grounds for concern?

Maybe it's just an excuse for me to get a HD shotgun.
Old September 1, 2005, 08:25 AM   #2
Mark54g

I was in New Orleans until Sunday (the day before it hit) and if they are some of the same ones I encountered (got mugged day 1), I would suggest if you don't carry on a regular.... do so as much as the law allows.
Old September 1, 2005, 06:00 PM   #3
Mannlicher

I think its plain and clear. The government cannot, and will not protect you. No reason at all to let the law limit how you plan to protect yourself, and yours.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 1, 2005, 06:32 PM   #4
BCBR

Refugees

Not to stomp on your or your post.
Whats up with all the refugee talk and terminolgy?
We ought to address this label asap as it could appy to any of us .
so a city or 4 gits wiped out,a free country to come and go as we please in pursuit of happiness etc.
Label em refugees,restrict how and whree they can go ,cause they are refugees?
I hope some one more articulate can address this, it aint right.
Mostly poor,helpless fellow American citizens that were a victom of a ferocius storm that left them homeless,and needing help fast ,and no labels like refugees.
I am always armed and look at 99 % of folks the same every day.
In fact I fired 2 rds of 9mm into the ground in the back this am 4:45 and scared the living hell out of 2 crooked thieving azzs messing with my truck.
be alert and stay safe.
Old September 1, 2005, 06:33 PM   #5
Rojoe67

True

And it might only be 1 percent of the folks are less than good citizens. I think that is reason enough to be that much more careful and ready. One can never have a stronger reason to look at the tools in the box and make sure your skills and equipment are up for the duty. Sounds like a reason I would find a good 12, 20 or even 410 security pump gun......... Best of luck and I like #4 Turkey Mag loads for such mission......... Don't just buy one but train and get practice with it......... Take care
Old September 1, 2005, 08:37 PM   #6
rdebert

Let's see: a bunch of people lost everything they may (or may not have actually) had. No job, no money, shelter provided (if at all) by some entity for free as well as food and water. In a new area where people have no idea who they are and would not be able to identify them. Some of them were bad people before becoming refugees to start with. Some may believe that they have to become people and do bad things in order to start rebuilding their life as quickly and easily as possible (takes money to get an apartment with utilities, clean clothes, food, and there will be a lot of competition for jobs). And, finally, unlike most countries that have had to manage refugees in the past the U.S. is unlikely to marshall these people into containment areas and fence them in while they are being provided for and processed (whatever processed may mean).

If you are looking for a good excuse to purchase a HD shotgun (or, insert home safety product of choice here)...I can't seem to think of a better one at the moment.
Old September 1, 2005, 08:43 PM   #7
Hans

First of all, let me say that all of my in-laws are from New Orleans, and most of them live w/in 4 or 5 blocks of the Canal St. levy breech, and lost everything they had. Thank God they are all OK, and I will be praying for all of those people down there.

However, I have been to the Big Easy several times and have seen the seedier side of things. I would not hesitate to arm myself if I were in that situation. You can never be too careful.
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old September 1, 2005, 08:48 PM   #8
tshadow6

refugees

The local shelter in my city is sending a bus to bring back 30 families from N.O. I will be in condition orange when they arrive. Also, to the guy who doesn't have his CCW permit, why not?
Old September 1, 2005, 10:35 PM   #9
Lawyer Daggit

Bcr- Hear, Hear!!!
Old September 2, 2005, 07:42 AM   #10
TangoTracker

Refugee vs. Other Terms

Why are they referred to as refugees? Because it's a sort of permanent state. I don't believe anyone here is saying we should treat them as second class citizens or anything of the like. There are simply people here that recognize the potential for serious problems with a large number of people that now have nothing, over an extended period of time.

To that end, I was in a local gun store yesterday. The 800 exchange was messed up in the LA area. The store owner had agreed to do call-ins for weapon checks for stores affected by this. His phone was ringing off the hook, he had already shipped several guns to dealers in Houston and had a monster stack of call-ins for LA. I think this has had a profound impact on people. And yes, I will be very aware for an increase in crime throughout Texas as people are being spread from Dallas in the north, to Houston and San Antonio, as well as Austin. You simply cannot have an influx of people that have nothing and no where to go over a long period of time, without a spike in crime. It just doesn't happen. I don't care if it's people from the 9th Ward, New Orleans in general, or any other place. It's just a fact.
Old September 2, 2005, 08:10 AM   #11
Apple a Day

Why are people getting uptight at the term 'refugee'? They've left their homes because of hardships and are looking for someplace else to call home. You can call them 'fuzzy pink bunnies' if you want but that definition fits.
Half of my family have been refugees at some point, members of the Key West Rafting Club 'cause Cuba sucks. No point getting wound up about a label.
I remember someone quoting something like 'be polite to everyone you meet... and have a plan to kill them all if you have to." I think that goes double for the situation posed in this thread.
Old September 2, 2005, 09:12 AM   #12
yorec

Quote:
Maybe it's just an excuse for me to get a HD shotgun.
I've heard worse reasons!
Old September 2, 2005, 03:31 PM   #13
Severian

Sorry

Refugee was the first word that came to my mind. Absolutely no negative or derogatory connotations to it.
Old September 2, 2005, 04:03 PM   #14
buzz_knox

Quote:
And yes, I will be very aware for an increase in crime throughout Texas as people are being spread from Dallas in the north, to Houston and San Antonio, as well as Austin.
It's already begun, according to some reports.
Old September 2, 2005, 05:19 PM   #15
Mannlicher

I think the term 'refugee' is very apropros. The ones that are being housed, bussed, and cared for are the result of generations of welfare mentality, and live in an entitlement culture. Thats why they waited for the man to come and save them, instead of walking out of town.
My guess is that we will house, feed, and care for these 'displaced persons' for many years, if not forever.
Well, maybe not forever. After all the law suits they might all be rich.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 2, 2005, 06:39 PM   #16
Duxman

If you look at Miami in the late 70's, early 80's the when Castro sent a lot of his criminals to our shores, it resulted in higher crime both organized and random. Whenever any sort of macro situation occurs that affects our lifestyle, like the introduction of possible crime into an otherwise crime free area, the answer is resounding YES.

At least until the situation normalizes. Buy extra guns, get more training. Security system for the car and home. Plan with your family on what to do in case of an emergency.

And YES...its a great excuse for a HD pistol, shotgun or AR.
Old September 2, 2005, 07:11 PM   #17
swmike

It will be interesting reading some day in the future when the statistics are published regarding number of Criminals in the final evacuees. The Chief of Police, last night stated on TV that they battle a lawless element representing 1%-2% of the poplation of NO on an everyday basis. 2% of 500,000 would be 10,000 hard core criminals. If 80% of the city evacuated, how many of the lawless element remained. My guess is realtively few evacuated prior to the storm. This would indicate that the lawless element may have risen to the 10% of those remaining (and some news reports of rape, shooting, sensless looting {excluding food/water} might substantiate this estimate). As the last occupants are evacuated, one might surmise that 1 out of 10 is a criminal (by actions if not by conviction). You might say they are "Coming Soon to a Neighborhood Like Yours! They will be arriving with less than nothing (some possibly with guns they looted) and will be foraging in your community for their existance. Again, when this disaster is over and put into the history books, it will be interesting to see where NO's crime relocates. On my last trip to NO I felt like a prey animal as I walked down the street. Fortunately, however, my state and Louisiana have a reciprocity agreement and I was carrying.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old September 3, 2005, 06:57 AM   #18
Drue

I am a refugee from New Orleans. Since Sunday we have been staying with friends in Natchez. In normal times, it is normal (??!!) to have six or eight murders a week in New Orleans. The police reports in the paper are several pages long. If a number of bussed in, urban underclass refugees arrives nearby, appropriate caution is in order.

Drue
Old September 3, 2005, 09:15 AM   #19
Eghad

How about the term evacuee

and they are Americans not refugees...

Most of em were working guys like the rest of us...not criminals.

NRA Life Member
Old September 4, 2005, 09:19 AM   #20
John28226

Really?

Eghad, do you personally know "most of them"? The original question was a good one; the choice of terms is not really relavent to the question. Caution is caution! And yes, it would seem prudent to anticipate an increase in crime. That also happens when a large number of people move into any area. And that is a fact that can be proven. I rest my case.
John
Old September 4, 2005, 09:40 AM   #21
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

If you think you have a reason to arm yourself, by all means do so.

However, this thread has gone off topic and comments such as "The local shelter in my city is sending a bus to bring back 30 families from N.O. I will be in condition orange when they arrive." lead me to believe that some are looking for an excuse.

My God people, the majority of these folks are good Americans who have lost everything and may have contracted serious medical conditions while being rescued from a toxic swamp.

Denny
Closed Thread