The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Wyoredman

Locking ring problems on RCBS dies.

Hss anyone else had problems getting the locking rings on RCBS dies to stay put? On several sets of RCBS dies the locking ring won't stay in place unless I tighten the brass set screw so tight that allen hole starts to round.

I have ruined more than a few brass set screws and am getting a bit frustrated. If I just snug them, I lose my setting when I unscrew the die from the press and must reset the die the next time it is used.

Any suggestions?
Old January 9, 2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Sevens

Two suggestions:

1) Most of the world seems to hate the lock rings on Lee dies that are a simple rubber o-ring with no set screw, but I love them. Rather than relying on a lock ring to keep my settings, I use a sharpie on the die with an index line and a matching index line on my press so that when I screw a die in, those two lines tell me for certain that my dies are SET. The lock ring is snugged with a wrench. It's ROCK-SOLID, and won't move no matter what force is thrust upon it. Setting is 100% perfect.

2) Most folks get RCBS dies and their set screw to cooperate a bit by using a single lead pellet for shotshell between the screw and the die-- the lead ball crushes to fit and snugs it all up. Shot size... maybe 7 1/2?
Old January 9, 2012, 12:30 PM   #3
mrawesome22

Are you installing and removing the die using a wrench on the ring itself?
Old January 9, 2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Clifford L. Hughes

Woredman:

Place one or two lead shotgun BB's ahead of the screw and then tighten it.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old January 9, 2012, 12:47 PM   #5
farmerboy

I also have had problems in the past and tried the lead shot with not much help. I took the die in my hands and you can run that set screw all the way through the locking ring. Theres usually alot of metal shavings in behind the set screw and once you push it out with your set screw then the set screw will hold. Or that fixed mine.
Old January 9, 2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Wyoredman

Thanks guys. I am glad that I am not the only one having this problem.

I remove the die by twisting the die, not the lock ring. I have thought about getting a set screw made from steel instead of brass, but I think i will try the index marks and the lead shot trick first.

I need somthing to lower my frustration level
Old January 9, 2012, 03:02 PM   #7
David Bachelder

Mr Hughes is spot on. I use the same trick and the rings stay in place.
Old January 9, 2012, 03:05 PM   #8
serf 'rett

No problem with my RCBS dies...

since I replaced the original lock rings with Hornaday rings (cross bolt design).
Old January 9, 2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Wyoredman

Serff, where did you get those Hornady rings?
Old January 9, 2012, 03:14 PM   #10
brickeyee

Hornady rings are a lot better, but a piece if shot under the set screw on the RCBS rings is all you need.
Old January 9, 2012, 03:35 PM   #11
mrawesome22

Hornady rings are the best, but if you put the wrench on the ring itself, this will be a non-issue.
Old January 9, 2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Wyoredman

I have also had the die move (because the lock ring didn't hold) when adjusting the seater plug on the seat die after I had the die set for crimping. This gets pretty frustrating also.

After moving the seater plug down to touch the bullet and then locking it in, the die threads in a bit further from the force aplied to the seat plug lock nut. This results in more crimp than wanted if not reset!

All is fine in the end, but it takes lots of time and gets me irritated because I have to keep adjusting my die from one session to the next! I won't even mention the frustration that comes when the brass set screw strips!

I am going to try the shot under the set screw. Thanks.

Last edited by Wyoredman; January 9, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old January 9, 2012, 05:58 PM   #13
Cheap 870

I had the same problem with rounding out the allen heads. So I went to the local hardware and picked up some little brass screws. I can't remember the tread size, it's an uncommon size. Just take the ring with you & find the one that fits.
Old January 9, 2012, 09:55 PM   #14
JohnAL

I have been using the lead shot trick and putting the wrench on the ring instead of the die for 35 years and never had a problem. When you do want to move the lock ring, loosen the set-screw just a little, then give the ring a moderate tap right beside the screw to make the lead turn loose of the die threads.
Old January 9, 2012, 10:20 PM   #15
hk33ka1

I change them to Lee rings when I have a problem.
Old January 10, 2012, 12:15 AM   #16
F. Guffey

I do not have problems with locking rings secured to the die, because? I do not secure lock rings to my dies, if in my possession there is a die with the lock ring secured to the die, it is not my die. I secure the die to the press with the lock lock ring.

When securing the die to the press I raise the ram with a shim between the bottom of the die and top of the shell holder, I raise the ram to put a load on the threads, putting a load on the threads remove the slack between the threads, then secure the lock ring, my favorite lock rings are the hex sided ones, but, not a problem if they are round with knurled surfaces, I have purchases enough equipment from other reloaders that used slip joints, pipe wrenches etc.. I do not have to worry about appearance, anyhow, replace the lock ring and, like new again.

Knurled surface? Anything that has a knurled surface is to be hand tight.

Then there are those that have adjustments that they maintain, no matter what? I adjust my dies every time I use them, lock rings secured to the die slow me down, again, I adjust the die to the shell holder every time I use them, then secure the die to the press with the lock ring.

F. Guffey