The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: AR vs. AK ownership / interest
More than 1 AR, no AKs 44 20.66%
1 AR, no AKs 44 20.66%
No ARs or AKs, but will likely have an AR within a year 10 4.69%
No ARs or AKs, but will likely have an AK within a year 3 1.41%
1 AK, no ARs 16 7.51%
More than 1 AK, no ARs 10 4.69%
At least one of each 65 30.52%
No ARs or AKs, but will likely have both within a year 4 1.88%
No ARs or AKs, and not likely to buy either within a year 17 7.98%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 22, 2012, 11:21 AM   #51
tahunua001

Quote:
The ARs are finely tuned machines, expensive and accurate. The ARs, I have fired, have ranged in price between $1400 and $2400. If I could afford it, I would buy one. I purchased my Arsenal for $299 and my Maadi for $239, back in the 90s.
I think all your friends are AR snobs I hate to break it to you but your Maadi AK is now a collector's item and almost impossible to find. your arsenal AK is now a $1,000+ rifle. decent budget brand ARs like the M&P15 or PSA15 are below $650. most are capable of MOA accuracy from factory.
Old October 22, 2012, 04:26 PM   #52
Rifleman1952

tahunua001: Hey, thanks for the info about the value and collectability of my two AKs. It's also good to know that there are some reasonably priced choices in ARs out there as well. I guess I'm going to have to seriously think about adding an AR-15 to the safe. One more thing on the list for my wife to be mad at me about!
Old October 23, 2012, 05:27 AM   #53
dean1818

I just bought my first AR a few weeks ago

A Bison Armory 6.8

The accuracy is amazing, and it isnt broken in yet.

My SKS is reliable, but after shooting tiny groups with the AR, 4-6 inch plus groups with the SkS, it has me wondering is I should trade up the sks for another AR.

(my wife says no more guns come home unless a gun leaves )

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old October 23, 2012, 11:14 AM   #54
scottd913

Quote:
I have an SKS rifle. Why would I want a carbine that loses velocity and accuracy when compared to the SKS, particularly when dealing with an already underpowered round?
I totally agree with this seems that there will be alot of people leaving alot of expensive rifles to there children all stuffed in Mobile Homes.

Yes the Ar's are more accurate than the Ak's or the SKS but you cant tell me an AK is any more accurate than a SKS as far as reliable they're equal!

Seem to recall the only reason there is an AK-47 is because of the semi-auto ...full-auto issue right? can we go out and buy a fully automatic rifle?

for the most part people buy these for the SHTF scenarios and if ya really think about it 0-50 yards is the common battle field in a urban setting so who ever needs to self defend at 100+ yards are foolish. Thats murder not self defence...right? In the event we all go to a full out war wont the military issue us weapons?
Old October 23, 2012, 11:55 AM   #55
tahunua001

Quote:
tahunua001: Hey, thanks for the info about the value and collectability of my two AKs. It's also good to know that there are some reasonably priced choices in ARs out there as well. I guess I'm going to have to seriously think about adding an AR-15 to the safe. One more thing on the list for my wife to be mad at me about!
no problem, I love helping other people add stuff to the "make wife mad" list
Old October 23, 2012, 07:52 PM   #56
Blade37db

Just about to finish my 2nd AR (it really is a sickness). While I appreciate AKs for their reliability, they don't really do anything for me. Actually going to trade one of my M1 Carbines (an AO) to finish my 2nd AR build (still keeping my Inland).
Old October 25, 2012, 06:07 AM   #57
Rifleman1952

Quote:
I totally agree with this seems that there will be alot of people leaving alot of expensive rifles to there children all stuffed in Mobile Homes.
That's sort of an insult to AR/AK owners, and to people who live in mobile homes. I'm mostly an AK guy (also have an SKS) but my experience with firearms owners, of all kinds, is that they are mostly responsible people. Because if you're not responsible with your firearms, there is a good chance you could end up seriously injured, dead, or in jail for harm caused to someone else. In fact, the proper care and safe handling of firearms is a great way to teach young people responsibility.

The shooting sports create a bond between the youngster with a $199 rifle at the range, right next to the old timer shooting his $1000 rifle with a $500 scope. It is great fun to discuss "which gun is best"; that's why we come to this wonderful forum but I will never disparage a fellow law abiding gun enthusiast for the gun he chooses. AR, AK or SKS; it's what makes life, and forums like this interesting.

Last edited by Rifleman1952; October 26, 2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:42 AM   #58
vba

Voted for none and will not purchase in future.

Just have no interest in these types of firearms. Don't see myself, at my age, huffing around in the hills fighting off bad guys. Prefer a shotgun and handgun for a stand your ground type weapon. I'm a traditionalist that like bolt actions, shotguns and handguns (esp. 1911's).
Old October 25, 2012, 04:24 PM   #59
Mr Budha

Own one AK, plan on buying one good AR. Got the AK first because it was just less expensive.
Old October 25, 2012, 11:49 PM   #60
en-frame

I have several of both, because they are each fun to shoot, collect and study, in their own way. There are as many reasons to own and shoot these beasts as there are people who buy them.
Old October 27, 2012, 05:54 PM   #61
Rifleman 173

I own several of each type of rifle. Both types of rifles have their pluses and minuses. AKs are reliable and shoot a heavier bullet when using the 7.62 X 39 type rifle. The ARs are more accurate and have a longer reach, like out to about 550 meters or so with a trained rifleman behind them.

ARs have enough reach that the Filipino Marine Scout-Snipers use them for their primary sniper rifle.

http://users.belgacom.net/gc378379/s...ino%20MSSR.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSSR_rifle

Both kinds of rifles are fun to own and shoot.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:13 PM   #62
Quentin2

I have three high tier ARs and a cheap WASR10. Love the AR platform but have a lot of fun with that cheap AK and lots of bang for the buck. I'll keep it!