The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2019, 07:14 AM   #26
cw308

I shoot a CZ 452 in 22lr. the Wolf target match is the most accurate ammo and I tested alot . I would give the Wolf a try for sure .
Old June 26, 2019, 11:27 PM   #27
2ndtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
Are these any good/descent for just shooting?

https://www.luckygunner.com/bullets-...gold-1000#info
I ordered 1,000 Hornady ,55 gr FMJ a couple years ago because of a special deal from Cabela's which resulted in me getting them for less than $50 delivered. Everything I have ever heard or read is that the Hornady 55 gr FMJ is the best, most consistent 55 gr FMJ available. I have tried 4 different brands of 55 gr FMJ. bullets and have come to the conclusion that they really aren't worth the time, primers and powder to load. Groups of 3"+ for 5 shots at 100 yards just aren't worth it to me.
A far better option is some of the other 55 gr soft point/hollow point or the Hornady 62 gr HPBT from Mid-South are a much better option for a nominal increase in cost. I just don't believe the exposed lead bases are able to provide sufficient accuracy.
YMMV.
Old June 27, 2019, 07:10 AM   #28
David R

I get better accuracy out of SP than FMJ in both of my guns.

David
Old June 27, 2019, 09:57 PM   #29
ninosdemente

Sure difficult to decide now. I can see why most would not want to "waste" primer/powder on not so good projectile. In this case I would rather not use my "good/testing" projectiles on those who only want to shoot for the fun of it. I know they will not care if they get "crappy" groupings or don't get dead center shots. Although, they might try to do so. Just trying to find some large quantities with good pricing. Which why I was asking about the Wolf projectiles. I guess that is up to me to decide... just was curious if they were descent and not really bad or that are bad for barrels as was previously mentioned about the Winchester. Thanks again guys.
Old June 29, 2019, 07:50 PM   #30
Unclenick
Staff

There are reviews at Wideners, who also sells them as well as their own no-name surplus bullets for the same price that have had some good reviews.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 29, 2019, 08:33 PM   #31
hounddawg

Quote:
In this case I would rather not use my "good/testing" projectiles on those who only want to shoot for the fun of it. I know they will not care if they get "crappy" groupings or don't get dead center shots. Although, they might try to do so.
when I take most of my friends out to shoot if it makes noise and smoke and punches holes in a target 50 yards away and they are delighted. My 6.5 Grendel shoots Wolf in about a 2 inch group at 50 and my handloads run about 1/4 that. Still at a quarter a round the Wolf is fun to just blast. The cheapest brass cased commercial costs three times the Wolf's price
Old June 30, 2019, 11:44 PM   #32
ninosdemente

Unclenick, thanks for suggestion Wideners... another list for buying reloading ammo. Did check out their site and found these: https://www.wideners.com/reloading-s...ts/223-bullets

They have a lot of positive reviews. Didn't read all of them just a few. Seems like I found some for the meantime at 500 qty for me to try.

------

Hounddawg, if they are happy and you, it's a win win.