The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2012, 11:48 PM   #1
scottd913

lasers and sd/hd shotguns

i was just pondering the idea of mounting a laser on my mossy500, thinking of doing so on the mag. tube. i have a full tactical stock and forend with a 18inch barrel but I'm thinking the tube not the forend. question: do lasers mounted as such hold zero well and are they good for quick acquisition for close quarters combat situations because i have no sights at all on it now.

i truly do value everyones input on this forum.
open to other options as well.
thanks ...scott
Old August 10, 2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Creeper

I guess I'm one of those people that find lasers on HD shotguns to be, ah... of limited value.
As an encounter with a miscreant will likely be at night, I prefer a gun mounted light with a momentary switch to illuminate (and perhaps temporarily blind) said miscreant just long enough to locate them... and shoot if necessary.

If your light is a good one and mounted correctly, the gun will shoot to center of the lights POA.

Cheers,
C

Addendum: If you live in a house with really, really long hallways... then perhaps a laser might be advantageous. I've never had a house with a main hallway longer than about 65ft... so a good, 100 plus lumen light works just peachy.
Old August 11, 2012, 01:55 AM   #3
Sheikyourbootie

Pump Ithica 37 with bead front site. I've never seen a need for a laser on a shotgun.
Old August 11, 2012, 02:38 AM   #4
idek

I don't think a laser is necessarily a bad idea, but I don't know that it's better than just sighting down the barrel.

Lasers seem more practical on small handguns that have a short sight radius and sights that may be hard to see/use in a dark, stressful situation.
Old August 11, 2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Tony615

I have a light only on my shotgun as I need to ID the BG first before firing.
Old August 11, 2012, 10:22 PM   #6
scottd913

been researching lites with pressure trigger switches and man are they pricey any ideas there?
Old August 12, 2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Creeper

Nope... You'll drop at least $150 for a decent remote switch light.

You could mount a good flashlight with a momentary button on the back and get it closer to the forend with a generic "magazine tube to 1" light body" mount... that might be a cheaper alternative. I don't know... haven't done that sort of research.

Cheers,
C