The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 30, 2000, 12:34 AM   #1
Nevada Fitch

MY family and I were had been on the road all day and we were tired.It had been dark for about an hour.We stopped at the edge of a large city to get a motel.After getting the key we drove around back.The lightng was bad.I did not like the looks of things and thought about getting my money back but we were tired of traveling.Before I got out I took my lightweight commander it was in condition 3 and put in in my waistband.I put 2 extra clips in my back pocket.I had a long shirt that covered all of this.We got out and started getting luggage out of the back of the old Blazer I was driving.About this time a man starts his car and pulls out in front of us and stops.His window is down and he speaks fairly loud and tells me to come over there.He is about 20 feet away.well we really had no place to go, there was a wall and fence behind our Blazer.My wife and kids were on the other side of the Blazer from me.Then he starts talking very low I cannot hear him.I sorta scan the area for fear he might not be alone.Then he tries to get me to come over to his car again.I said what do you want?He starts talking real low again.At this point I have never seen his hands.I had my hand on my shirt tail so I could draw my gun real quick.He must have picked up on that because he yelled about that time "dont shoot me man!" so I said "well what do you want" He started talking real low again.By This time my wife is really scared and Screams out real loud."Get the He** out of here!" This startles me and I make a violent grab for my gun,Knowing full well it is in Condition 3 and I will have to rack the slide,which I had practiced a lot and knew I could do quite fast.This combination of scream from my wife and seeing me go for my gun startles this man and he shoots the gas to his car which is still in drive.All of this happens very quick but I did not complete my draw, I stopped short of pulling it all of the way out.After about 20 feet he stops again.By this time he knows I am carrying for sure.At this point he holds up a gold chain, this is the first time I have seen his hands.My wife screams again we don't want anything you got.I told him to have a nice day.He drove off slowly watching me all of the time.I believe he had a lot more on his mind than selling me a gold chain.I hate to guess what might have happened if I had walked over to that car.I believe he meant to get a hold of me or pull a gun on me at very close range after getting me over to his car.His car was positioned for a quick exit out of there also.I was very glad I was Armed that night.I did not call the police.What is also strange is I never saw anyone around while this was happening.But a few mintes later I seen several people walking around.We had lugage scattered out behind the Blazer and I think I had even locked the doors already except for the tailgate.What could I have done different and what do you think his real motive was?
Old October 30, 2000, 01:13 AM   #2
racegunner

Were you out of State with different plates showing? I guess it wouldn't matter as you were at motel already looking like a traveler with cash?
Maybe he had some stolen gold chains and wanted some cash for them...Maybe not...

What you could have done different: Move to next town right away...he may have felt you threatened him and may be stupid enough to seek revenge or at least damage your vehicle parked outside your room. At least don't park right in front of your door. He could go to police a say "This guy (you) pulled a gun on me and all I was doing was asking directions..." Police search and find gun = headach for you.
You may propose to your wife to not scream unless she sees something, you don't need any other distractions as I'm sure you discovered. Develope a general plan and tell her to lookout for bad guy helpers if a similar situation should ever arise. Maybe develop hand signals to family members to take cover or run for help, or dial 911. Also explain that she needs to look for cover if TSHTF. Wheels & engines are good. Doors, rear fenders i.e. sheet metal is not good cover. And always, always get the plate number and maybe even report it. If there is a cruiser in the area maybe they'll pull him over for no turn signal and peek around. They might find something good enough to keep him busy for 5 to 10.

Old October 30, 2000, 08:17 AM   #3
David Scott

I think you handled it pretty well by keeping your distance. Approaching a possible bad guy is a bad idea. He may have wanted to sell you dope or gold chains or whatever, or he may have wanted you close enough so his partners could bail out of the back seat where they've been crouching and grab you.

IMHO your wife's shout may have been a GOOD idea. Bad guys don't like the sort of noise that draws attention. Still, it's a good idea to discuss plans and scenarios with your wife beforehand. At the very least, she should know not to shout "Get your gun out, sweetie, and shoot those bad guys!"

My only recommendations:

1. Carry the Commander in a decent IWB holster. Just tucking it in the waistband leaves you open to snagged draw or dropping it when engaged in physical motion (like unloading lugage from a Blazer).

2. If you're going to carry a 1911, carry Condition One. You may be quick at racking the slide, but are you quicker than a bad guy who's already got his gun in hand?
Old October 30, 2000, 10:02 PM   #4
Nevada Fitch

Thanks for the imput.I have several holsters for a 1911 including a Milt Sparks summer special,and I usually carry cocked and locked,But I had been keepin it condition 3 for safety reasons since I wasn't carrying it on my person except to go from car to motel at the time.Since than when traveling I do my best to find a motel before dark so I can look around first.the Next morning I figured out I had picked a very bad part of town to be staying in.This is one reason I strongly believe in a National carry law for civilians.Because it is so easy for a traveler who doesn't know the area in a strange city In my case any big city is a strange city to me to find themselves in a bad siduation.
Old October 31, 2000, 01:19 AM   #5
MTAA

"Don't shoot me man"

Who says this ?

He knew what he was doing was sketchy and dangerous otherwise he wouldn't of provoked you and put you in such an awkward position. I mean, come on now, how many times have you engaged a stranger with honest intentions and anticipated being drawn on (maybe this is a bad group to ask ...) ? I would assume the persons grabbing their wallet, getting the keys, scratching their ass, but at any moment that I thought there was miscommunication and I might be in danger, I would of apologized and left. It's just not worth it.

Maybe he wanted to sell you some stolen goods, or get some "Gas" money, who knows, either way you played it out fine. The worst thing to come out of your reaction is you may have missed out on some fine, 12K gold tone rope chain. Might want to communicate better with the wife next time though so she doesn't escalate the situation.
Old October 31, 2000, 10:50 PM   #6
Nevada Fitch

Well one thing is for sure I bet that gold chain was hot.And the other thing is after he figured I was Armed I still did not scare him much if any.But he finaly decided it was just to risky to comtinue with what ever he wanted to do.