The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 16, 2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Hiker 1

"Armed man in my house" - next door

I work from home and this morning at 8:30 my cell starts ringing while I'm on my land line with a customer. The caller ID says it's my next door neighbor. I ignore it, thinking he wants to see if I want to go to lunch which we do sometimes.

He calls back 3 times in a row, so I text him that "I'm OTP, what's up?" He responds "911". I immediately think his wingnut stepson has OD'd as the kid has had a lot of drug problems. I get off with my customer, call my neighbor (who is out of state on a business trip and his wife took their girls on an overnight trip the next town over) and ask what's going on. He says "there's an armed man in my house with Tommy (not the kid's real name)". "They're tearing up the house, please call 911 right away."

So I bolt from my home office, get my wife and kids into our safe room, while relaying this to 911. She grabs her .38. I get my Glock .40 and slap a mag into my AR15 in case this little incident starts spilling over on to my property.

SWAT arrives. I give them the intel and they and haul "Tommy" and another loser out of the house. They don't find any weapons but site them both for underage intoxication and release them.

Apparently a third kid was over there and had started making threats to "Tommy" and involved a weapon-unknown, not a gun. He beat feet before the cops got there, but they know him.

Let me say, this is a very nice neighborhood and they are a nice family with a very troubled son. It's so unfortunate that this crap is happening but I could hug every member of the Founding Fathers for giving us the wonderful 2nd Amendment. We were ready for a meth-head in seconds and ready for a squad of al Qaeda in 2 minutes.

My wife and two small kids did great! I couldn't be prouder.
Old March 16, 2011, 02:51 PM   #2
gearhounds

This is the kind of story the anti-gun folks hate to see; where level headed people have weapons, were prepared to protect themselves, and since everything worked out, they can't put a negative spin on it.

Exactly why ownership of firearms for those that want them is a must. Cops aren't able to materialize out of thin air, and the ability to protect ones self and family is paramount. Kudo's to you and the fam.
Old March 16, 2011, 03:19 PM   #3
kx592

Well done, good move by only calling 911 to relay info. Too many times we read about the hero next door shooting people on the neighbors property "defending" their neighbor and go to jail. Good to hear its all 100%.
Old March 16, 2011, 03:24 PM   #4
glockcompact

Quote:
This is the kind of story the anti-gun folks hate to see; where level headed people have weapons, were prepared to protect themselves, and since everything worked out, they can't put a negative spin on it.
Exactly.

Also another story you'll never see publicized by the media.

Good job to the OP. Glad your family's safe.
Old March 16, 2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Hiker 1

Thanks! Yes, we had taken a completely defensive position, especially as I had not heard a scream for help or anything along those lines. The only time I went out was to brief the cops on the situation and the layout of the neighbor's house.

I was very impressed with our police department - professional and well-equipped, though it was several minutes before they arrived.
Old March 16, 2011, 03:33 PM   #6
psyfly

Good response on your part and I'd be proud to have you for a neighbor.

How come your neighbor wasn't able to call the cops himself?

Prelude to a bit of unasked advice: Keep your local PD's, Sheriff's dept local non-911 phone number so you can call them when you're out of the area if need be.

Best,

Will
Old March 16, 2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Hiker 1

How come your neighbor wasn't able to call the cops himself?

He was in San Jose, Ca. and we live in Colorado. He wanted to make sure the cops got there asap. When I called 911, they asked for his cell # and called and spoke to him as well.
Old March 16, 2011, 04:54 PM   #8
markj

"Like a good neighbor, Hiker1 was there" and we will rename the company...... good job. Now if everyone was as good a neighbor.....
Old March 16, 2011, 05:27 PM   #9
bravo124

Way to stay level headed and "hold the fort". Good job Hiker1.
Old March 16, 2011, 08:35 PM   #10
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

I'd be glad to have you for a neighbor, Hiker 1!
Old March 16, 2011, 09:03 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Quote:

Exactly why ownership of firearms for those that want them is a must. Cops aren't able to materialize out of thin air, and the ability to protect ones self and family is paramount. Kudo's to you and the fam.
Yeah, and like with Zamudio, this is the kind of story fervent pro gun people go out on a limb in the other direction, trying their hardest to make a story where guns played no role in the resolution of the situation in regard to the protagonist. It is pretty much a complete non-event from either side of the political issue. Folks in every other house in that neighborhood could have been doing the exact same thing, but we don't know about it and we don't really care. Brady and NRA folks won't canvas the neighborhood after the fact to try to get stories to twist to their political advantage because as with Hiker1, the guns played no role in the outcome.
Old March 17, 2011, 10:51 AM   #12
Hiker 1

Thanks for all of the positive remarks. I appreciate it.

One of the lessons learned: after my Glock .40, I went for my shotgun, but I had recently organized my ammo and during that process, managed to un-organize where I keep my buckshot and long-range #4 shells. Birdshot was not my first choice.

I didn't dig for long. When I realized that the HD shells where not where I though they were, I immediately switched to the AR but it was a good lesson learned.
Old March 17, 2011, 11:16 AM   #13
Mr. Wild

It would be great to have a neighbor like you.
Around my area, the neighbors would just turn their heads and ignore a situation.
I live in a quiet, nice little town, but like a lot of other places no one wants to get involved even if it just means calling 911.
But if there is gossip, well, God help everyone.

When SWMBO and I moved here 35+ years ago the neighbors would keep an eye on your home especially when you were away.
People also did this when I was growing up in a different town.
Now they pull their curtains and say they didn't see a thing.

The older ones have passed on and the younger ones don't seem to care what happens as long as it doesn't happen to them.

I'm an older guy and I do keep watch on the neighbors homes for any trouble , but some have said that is being nosey.
Old March 17, 2011, 01:49 PM   #14
scud

another commendation for Hiker1 here good job!
Old March 17, 2011, 02:48 PM   #15
Hiker 1

It would be great to have a neighbor like you.

Thank you. We are fortunate to have a good group of neighbors who look out for each other, but I have lived in places where the neighbors would look away when we would wave.
Old March 17, 2011, 02:56 PM   #16
comn-cents

It sounds like you are a neighbor to have. Maybe there is a good neighbor forum you could post on. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with TFL. Not trying to be a downer just doesn't seem to be gun related.
Old March 17, 2011, 03:01 PM   #17
Skadoosh

Quote:
One of the lessons learned: after my Glock .40, I went for my shotgun, but I had recently organized my ammo and during that process, managed to un-organize where I keep my buckshot and long-range #4 shells. Birdshot was not my first choice.
Keep the tube magazine loaded and you wont have that problem again.