The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2009, 08:52 AM   #1
trippingpara

Lee Challenger Press?

I am looking to get into reloading pretty soon and I am now looking at presses. I really want the Dillon but the wallet refuses to drink any of the blue kool-aid so it looks like it's going to be a Lee for me! Plus I figure it's probably best that I start off with a single stage and then work my way up to a progressive. Any ways, my questions is: "what is the difference between the Lee Challenger press kit and the 50th Anniversary Lee Challenger press kit?" They look the same but there is quite a price difference. Any ideas?
Old March 8, 2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Kevin5098

I have just started reloading and this is my first post here, but I think I can answer your question. The Challenger kit uses the Breech Block Challenger Press. It is designed for quick change of dies using bushings that screw into the top of the press. Handy if you load more than one caliber. With the Anniversary Kit, you have to reset the dies each time you change them.

I could not find the Annniversary kit anywhere, either online or in stores. I found one Challenger kit at Cheaper than Dirt and bought it. Sent my first 150 rounds (.357 magnum) downrange yesterday, and very happy with the results.

Kevin

P.S. Good luck finding primers!
Old March 8, 2009, 10:45 AM   #3
CrustyFN

I believe the 50th Anniversary is the breech lock press where you only have to turn the die 1/4 turn to remove it. If you were wanting the Dillon it sounds like you are planning on loading pistol. If you budget allows I would recommend the Lee clssic turret. It can be used as a single stage to learn on and the with the index rod you can load around 200 rounds per hour which will be 3 to 4 times faster than the single stage. Here is a link to the best place to buy it and the price. The $22 upgrade is well worth it.
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41

Rusty
Old March 8, 2009, 12:43 PM   #4
billcarey

Same presses and accessories but different priming method.

"This kit replaces the popular 35th Anniversary Kit features the same components as the 50th kit but we have replaced the Safety Prime with the Auto-Prime and a set of Auto-Prime shell holders. This kit is for those who prefer to prime off of the press".

I'm not a Lee fan but I think this is a great starter kit to get your feet wet. For about $100 street price you can get the kit.

bc
Old March 8, 2009, 12:43 PM   #5
TheNatureBoy

I use the Breech Lock Challenger Press to load .243, .280, and 7mm Rem Mag. and haven't had any problems with it. One of the differences I believe is that one package offers something that the other does not. Because I'm new to reloading (about 8 months) I don't have experience using other presses. I do like the bushings (see Kevin5098 post) that allows you to set and remove dies easily and quickly by pushing a release button and a quarter turn without knocking them off. I do agree that a single stage press is a good start. Others may disagree but its sorta like crawling before walking. Welcoma aboard

Purchase primers in bulk.
Old March 8, 2009, 12:53 PM   #6
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

The quick change bushings are NICE!!! The only thing that sucks is buying them for every die. I think I was paying $3.50 per bushing.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old March 8, 2009, 06:26 PM   #7
trippingpara

Thanks for the info guys! I'm also looking at the Turret press that Crusty mentioned but I am loading rifle as well as pistol (more rifle than pistol). I'll be loading a range of calibers such as 308 Win., 7.62x54R, 7.62x39, .223 Rem., 8mm, 7.5 French and 7.5 Swiss. Is the Lee Turret good for these calibers?
Old March 8, 2009, 07:06 PM   #8
CrustyFN

I don't have experience with those calibers. I load a lot of 223 on my turret and it shoots great. I know a couple of people that load 30-06 on the classic turret and are happy.
Rusty
Old March 8, 2009, 07:12 PM   #9
Russ5924

I have to agree with CrustyFN on the Lee classic press I bought one about 6 years ago and still use it today for small runs of cartridges. I have replaced it with a Dillon 550 but I like to use the Lee Classic more. I bought the one that takes 4 dies so takes four pulls of the handle to make one bullet. But have loaded thousands of rounds with it. The Dillon one pull. The Lee press I load .45Long Colt, 9MM and .44MAG I leave the Dillon set up for .38 and .45 ACP
Old March 8, 2009, 08:06 PM   #10
wncchester

Trip, I have used a lot of presses over the last 46 years and agree the Lee presses, and dies, are as servicable for normal reloading as any and a single stage is perhaps the best place to start. Loading has a a steep learning curve and turrets and progressives just make it more difficult than necessary to start off.

That said, the current Lee Classic Turret (iron/steel rather than an alum. alloy body) is a good opiton IF you are pretty sure you will want to load large volumes of pistol ammo later. You can disable the auto index part and use it as a single stage until you get the basics down pat. And easily swappable turret heads are available for little less than a full set of Breech Lock bushings.

Or, if you choose to go single stage, look at the Lee Classic Cast single stage. It's made of iron and sells for very little less than the Challenger press, big enough and strong enough and durable enough to do anything you may wish for as long as you may live! And it has some very nice user friendly features the others in its class do not. (Has a fully adjustable handle and the spent primer catcher works!)

I can't understand the attraction of any "quick change" die system. Anyone who can learn to load ammo can sure learn to screw dies in and out, easily, and it really doesn't take long to learn either! Why anyone would choose to spend extra money for quick change bushings for dies just to save a few seconds changing them a couple of times in a loading session that may last for hours is beyond my imagination to understand.

No dies should EVER need to be readjusted when swapping them around, that's exactly what that die locking ring thing is there to prevent!

Last edited by wncchester; March 8, 2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old March 8, 2009, 08:41 PM   #11
45Marlin carbine

save room on your bench for a 'tandem' set up of single stage. you'd be surprised the ammo you can turn out with a buddy running the seating/crimping die - once you have it set up and you do the expand/load/place slug in.