The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 12, 2012, 08:56 PM   #51
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward429451 View Post
Lee stuff isn't all worthless junk. They make a darn fine dipper set.
That's one of the things I have that works fantastically...

Along with: case trimmers, safety scale, Collet neck-sizing dies, chamfer/debur tool, Auto-Prime and I know I am missing something.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old July 12, 2012, 11:32 PM   #52
dacaur

Quote:
Along with: case trimmers, safety scale, Collet neck-sizing dies, chamfer/debur tool, Auto-Prime and I know I am missing something.
Presses and dies.....
Old July 13, 2012, 12:17 AM   #53
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I first started reloading shot shells back in the early 70s. I hope this thread counts. Was loading for a team of guys I shot trap with once a week. Bought some powder from my local gun & relaoding store. Hercules Red Dot. Loaded up a dozen boxes of 12ga. 7-1/2 shot. Gave out a half dozen box of 12 ga. to team members. First guy on the firing line. First shot a muzzle blast came out of his 870 barrel about 3 feet in length. Seen quite easily in day light by all. I quickly stopped the line from firing and collected the shells I had handed out. Took them home cut them open poured all the powder back in to the can and took it back to the store I bought this powder from. Counter person determined the powder I bought was actually Hercules rifle power of some sort and apologized and gave me another (inspected) can of Red Dot in exchange. There is a difference in the overall look of rifle verses shotgun powders. When loading with my Mec Jr. I did notice I was having trouble with a more than normal spillage coming off its loading bar. I should have known better than to keep reloading. But I ignored that situation. And darn near blew someone's shotgun apart let alone the possibility of getting its shooter hurt or worse. Learned a lesson from that experience. "What you purchase is not always what you want. Even when something comes directly from the factory. "
Old July 13, 2012, 02:12 AM   #54
warningshot

30-40 Krag.

Using a framing hammer with a fast single swing, I de-primed a live primer that was inadvertenly loaded backwards with a Lee Universal depriming tool.
Old July 13, 2012, 04:06 AM   #55
Justin Appleseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-96 View Post
I wasnt all that new to re-loading, but I pulled 2 major boners at once. 1. Don't reload during a major thunderstorm. 2. Don't mix reloading with food and drinks.

I'd gone to fetch a cup of coffee and was just in the motion of sitting down. With my left hand I had grabbed a can of IMR 4895 and at the exact moment my butt hit the seat cushion and I had the can of powder up in front of my face- lightning struck a transformer right outside. I guess the explosion of the transformer made me flinch and fling hot coffee all over me, everything went pitch dark. I was waving my hand in front of my scalded face thinking "Oh my God- I've blown myself up and I've gone blind!" Somewhere in here I got turned over along with the chair when the thought occured to me that I ought to be running, but I couldn't get up because I was tangled up in the chair legs. I launched myself forward and jammed my head square into a wall, but I was free of the chair and running still seemed to be a major priority. So, I was able to stand up, turn 180 degrees, and resume my running game plan. In maybe a step or two, the chair got me again- and down I went again. I don't really know what all happened next, and I didn't come to my senses until I was a mile to a mile and a half down the road. It never occured to me that I'd doused myself with hot coffee and it went dark because the transformer blew. However, I did use the incident as a learning experience and have since ceased drinking anything around my reloading area and I don't reload during thunderstorms.
It's 0400 and my wife just slapped the Sh#% out of me for laugh so hard! I had a great mental picture the whole way!
Old July 13, 2012, 08:32 AM   #56
Tango2020

Before the days of internet and all this great Info and experience from you guys I made a really bad mistake that taught me a lot.

Had been reloading for about 3 months (9MM browning Hi-Power). Was shooting my reloads one day and (pop, no boom). Pulled the slide back and there was an empty case.........

Hum..... wonder what that was?????? Chambered the next round and pulled the trigger.

Slide locked open due to the big swollen knot in the Barrel. YUP...no powder in the load, primer pushed the bullet into the barrel and then I sent another one in behind it. Great move!!!!!!

I was very lucky and it taught me to be much more careful and investigate ANYTHING abnormal.

I don't tell that story often!!!!!
Old July 13, 2012, 09:17 AM   #57
CS86

Quote:
I don't tell that story often!!!!!
Its a good story for others to know it can happen. I've read about it a few different times and Its a scary thought. If something doesn't look or sound right its best to stop what your doing and start looking things over.
Old July 13, 2012, 09:54 AM   #58
Clark

Seems like I am getting dumber.

I loaded some ammo without primers.
My first clue was powder leaking out the primer pockets.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 13, 2012, 08:02 PM   #59
frumious

I once had 50 .308 cases on the block - put them there on a Monday night. I charged them all with individually-weight charges on Tuesday night and then went to start seating bullets. The first one dropped straight to the bottom of the case. I had forgotten that I had put them on the block Monday night fresh from my case bucket...they hadn't been sized or deprimed yet.

Since weighing charges takes so much time I was furious with myself. So I set up another block with some 45-70's in it and poured all of my .308's into the .45's. Then sized/deprimed the .308's, put them back on the block, and poured the powder back into them from the .45's. But I didn't save any time really...I ended up spot-checking so many of them I should have just started over.

The worst part? I've been reloading for 3 1/2 years and this happened maybe a month ago

-cls
Old July 13, 2012, 08:15 PM   #60
tkglazie

I once had 50 .308 cases on the block - put them there on a Monday night. I charged them all with individually-weight charges on Tuesday night and then
Quote:
went to start seating bullets. The first one dropped straight to the bottom of the case. I had forgotten that I had put them on the block Monday night fresh from my case bucket...they hadn't been sized or deprimed yet.

Since weighing charges takes so much time I was furious with myself. So I set up another block with some 45-70's in it and poured all of my .308's into the .45's. Then sized/deprimed the .308's, put them back on the block, and poured the powder back into them from the .45's. But I didn't save any time really...I ended up spot-checking so many of them I should have just started over.

The worst part? I've been reloading for 3 1/2 years and this happened maybe a month ago

-cls
And this is why it pains me to batch load. Maybe its the nerd engineer in me but damn if I dont love single part processing.

Dont get me wrong, I do it for my rifles still, but I much prefer loading one at a time for my handguns.
Old July 13, 2012, 09:56 PM   #61
FiveInADime

One time I loaded up about 40rds with differing charge weights for a load workup. I took one of each load and stood them up on the kitchen table when I was done so I could take a picture and send it to my friend. Well I walked away for a minute and came back and grabbed all the shells with one hand and instantly I realized I just mixed them all up and couldn't shoot them until the end of the load development. So instead of 5 rounds each weight I only had 4 :/

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

Last edited by FiveInADime; July 14, 2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old July 14, 2012, 09:22 AM   #62
Peter M. Eick

Dumb things I did when I started?

Think about it, I did not invest well early on.

Back in 76 when I started reloading, I bought cheap. Lee because that is what I could afford at the time. Almost every bit of that gear has been replaced sometimes twice now. Had I spent more for RCBS or similar quality back in the 70's to 90's I would not have re-bought so much gear.

I look back on it and realize I bought quality handguns (Colts) but bought cheap reloading gear. I look at my safe now and realize i now only own quality handguns and quality reloading gear and the lee and similar quality equipment has slowly been purged off the bench.

I am not just bashing lee, some RCBS, Hornady, Dillon even Redding gear has been replaced for various reasons. The key is to buy the best quality you can and NOT buy cheap because it is "all you can afford".
Old July 14, 2012, 10:03 AM   #63
Clark

Oh yeah, the work up rounds all in a row in a plastic cartridge box with post-it map of which cartridge has how much powder.
Then knock over the box when the lid is not closed, and they all spill on the floor.
Bullet puller time.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 14, 2012, 11:10 AM   #64
Crankgrinder

I went to change powder/loads and failed to empty the hopper properly. unscrewing the hopper from its base (Lee pro auto disk) I lifted it up and spilled gunpowder all over my lap... Ive done this twice.
Old July 14, 2012, 11:13 AM   #65
THORN74

I set off a primer in my lnl ap press... I had only loaded around twenty rounds when it happened .... scaredbthr wife more than me

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old July 14, 2012, 11:27 AM   #66
Ike666

I started reloading with a Dillon 550B. I was shooting a lot of IPSC and just wanted to chunk out lots of practice ammunition. I screwed .45 ACPs just about every way possible. The first six months I'd guess my good to bad ratio was a poor as 3 to 1.

I learned a lot about reloading - the negative way. This was in the days before internet forums and I'd share my mistakes with shooting buddies, go back, correct, and make a new raft of mistakes. Repeat this process often enough and two things happen: 1) you throw away a lot of good material and 2) when you've made every mistake you can, you start to turn out some damn fine ammo.
Old July 14, 2012, 12:11 PM   #67
dacaur

Quote:
Oh yeah, the work up rounds all in a row in a plastic cartridge box with post-it map of which cartridge has how much powder.
Then knock over the box when the lid is not closed, and they all spill on the floor.
Bullet puller time.
Ive done two variations on that one....

First time I lost the "map".... never found it. Second time I had a full box, and neglected to mark which end was which on my "map", so 2 weeks later when I went to shoot them I was like .
Old July 14, 2012, 01:17 PM   #68
serf 'rett

Quote:
I wasnt all that new to re-loading, but I pulled 2 major boners at once. 1. Don't reload during a major thunderstorm. 2. Don't mix reloading with food and drinks.
Glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read 10-96's post. I'd have snorted the hot stuff out the nose and dumped remainder in lap...

Loading up a ladder or series of rounds for testing and realizing you didn't reset your scale for the next powder charge step. Now you've got two rows with the same charge. This generally occurs with the high dollar store bought bullets, of which you only have a limited supply for testing. Even worse is when the bullets were mail order. Done it more than once. Time for the kinetic and upper body work out.
Old July 15, 2012, 12:42 AM   #69
Clark

Ever get to the range, and the ammo is seated too long and will not chamber?
Ever get to the range, and you forgot they are closed on Monday's?
Ever forget a gun at the range, and the rangemaster calls you wife?
Ever shoot a hole in your chronograph at the range, come back, they make fun of you, and you do it again?
Ever have a mouse chew a hole in the bottom of a container of powder, it leaks out, and you try to salvage some of it?
Ever seat a bullet so long that it gets stuck in the lands? Then when you pull it out, the bullet stays and stick powder is spilled all over? Get some sticks of powder in your chamber and the next round you fire has the brass come out with leprosy?
Ever try to moly coat soft tipped bullets and the Lead contaminates the vibrator and media?
Ever accidentally buy brass that is the wrong cartridge, but you keep it anyway, because someday you might own a gun in that cartridge? 10 years later, still no 30 Luger pistols around here.
Ever can't load anything because there is one little thing you can't find?
Old July 15, 2012, 09:00 AM   #70
dwhite

I've got a .38 Special round from loading in probably 1982 with a primer in backwards. Powder, bullet, and all. I keep it as a reminder to check things before moving onto the next operation.

All the Best,
D. White
Old July 15, 2012, 10:43 AM   #71
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by serf 'rett
Loading up a ladder or series of rounds for testing and realizing you didn't reset your scale for the next powder charge step. Now you've got two rows with the same charge. This generally occurs with the high dollar store bought bullets, of which you only have a limited supply for testing. Even worse is when the bullets were mail order. Done it more than once. Time for the kinetic and upper body work out.
Last time I did a work-up I completely skipped a step in my ladder and just barely realized it when I was done. I just went back and added that step in. I have also done the same thing and charged 2 steps with the same charge on accident but I realized my mistake before I seated the bullets.
Old July 15, 2012, 12:23 PM   #72
ScottRiqui

If I accidentally charged two "steps" on the ladder with the same charge, I'd probably just set the extras aside rather than breaking them down, just in case that particular charge ended up being the most accurate - I'm just an optimist like that. Doesn't always work out, though!
Old July 15, 2012, 12:46 PM   #73
zimm

Dusted off my equipment after being in storage for 5 years (was stationed overseas). Set it all up, re-read the instruction manuals and started cranking .40s&w out of my Dillion 550b. I kept getting upside down or sideways primers smashed into the pockets, and it took me an hour to make 50 rounds. Took the primer feed apart to clean and lube it. Turns out I was using the large primer pocket for small primers, and the primer drop tube was installed 180 out so it wasn't seated all the way.

Then at the range the first round jammed my m&p 40 so bad I almost had to get help to get the round out of the chamber. Looks like the sizing die was up too high in the press so I had go through 300 rounds with a go-no-go gauge to find the oversized rounds. Luckily they fit in my glock so I shot those up.

Wasted a whole day.
Old July 15, 2012, 03:23 PM   #74
boxerrider

dumb things

I load on a Lee Classic turret.

I've taken the hopper off of the powder measure and spilled powder out of the bottom. More than once.

Early on I was loading 38 special and spent a lot of time trying to get the primers to drop correctly until I realized I was using the large primer arm with small primers.

Chased roll crimps back and forth from not enough to too much until I started trimming revolver brass.

Enjoy!
Jeff
Old July 15, 2012, 06:40 PM   #75
5R milspec

my dad started reloading 20ga. years ago.( late 70's )he and another friend of his went out a bought two Poness Waren press' ( spelling ) with all they needed to load with.not to my story or bad boobooo

I have always been a monkey see monkey do type of person.so watching my dad I thought I got this no big deal.well I waitted till my dad was gone no where to be found.I thought I would just help him out and put out what ever I could for him.so I put the empty hull in the case slot then lowered the ram to put the empty hull in the die.I was able to complet all stations of the press.( no problem at all even for the first ten rounds ) well I got to the 11 th one and thats when I had my fist bobo.I ended up makeing a good round till it came time to remove the finished round.some how some way when I started to push out the finished round it collapsed and then got stuck into the die.I know for and soild hour I tried anything I could to get it out.well I couldn't for the life of me get it out.so I left it and walked away to let my dad find out when he went to loading some shells.needless to say he never let me around that press again or even let me hlep.it took 20 or more years for me to get into loading again.

and even years latter I end up smashing my finger in the same press when I first start reloading with it.I think the press is just trying to tell me something. like don't do what ever it was you did to me years ago.