The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2000, 01:15 AM   #1
BigPig

As some of you know, I'm am just getting started in reloading . I bought 100 new cases for .223 for my first attempt (this makes things easier for me).

I measured a few of them, and they varied in length. So, I ask you guys, do I need to trim them before I seat the bullet? Do I also need to resize them? I will be crimping the brass, BTW. Thanks for any and all help.
Old April 13, 2000, 01:54 AM   #2
Gopher a 45

NEW, new brass, or once-fired new? If it's new, I'm surprised that it varies in length (beyond more than a couple of thousandths). How much did they vary by? You don't need to resize brand-new brass ususally. If you want to trim them all to the same exact length, go ahead. The trim-to length on .223 brass is 1.750" I think.
Old April 13, 2000, 05:42 PM   #3
Mike / Tx

For new brass I wouldn't go to the trouble of completely resizing the whole case but sometimes its good to run the expander ball thru them to make sure the mouths are all round.

Then if, as you mentioned you are going to crimp I would at least trim them back so that all of the crimps are uniform.

You didn't mention if these are going in an auto loader. If there not then the crimp isn't necessary. Personally I would still trim the mouths just to square them all.

Its a personal preferance. I do a lot of things that I could let slide, but then I want all things as equal as I can get them on every round.
Old April 13, 2000, 06:55 PM   #4
Patrick Graham

I would like to second what mike said about running the expander ball through the neck. I would go so far as to neck size. The cases could have been mishandled in shipping.

I wouldn't trim unless they were in excess of the max aol. If you do trim you should at least neck size because your trimmer could hog out or deform the neck.