The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 6, 2008, 12:14 PM   #26
Robs22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvrG4T2K4sE
Old July 6, 2008, 04:55 PM   #27
rampage841512

I'd agree that those all should be in the top ten RIFLES, but I don't agree with the rankings or some of the classification. Boltguns assualt rifles? Maybe in their time, but not now. If your going to include bolt action rifles yous should be including Kentucky Rifles too, IMHO. The FAL should have beat out both the M16 and the AK47, as well.
Old July 6, 2008, 05:35 PM   #28
flyby

^Actually that video uses the loose term 'combat rifles' to include any 20th century military rifle used for fighting ..instead of using more specific classifications like 'Assault' or 'Battle' rifles.
Old July 19, 2008, 09:39 PM   #29
taylora

Steyer Aug best gun ive ever fired
AK
M16
MP44 just cause i wont one
AR18
Old July 20, 2008, 04:57 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

Assault rifle

The German Sturmgewehr (MP 43/44/Stg 44) is the prototypical assault rifle. The salient features are select fire, and intermediate size cartridge (more than a pistol, less than the standard WWII infantry rifle round).

Sturmgewehr translates to "Assault rifle". it could also be translated as "Storm rifle".

Most assault rifles have straight line stocks (or close to it), pistol grips, large capacity detachable magazines, flash suppressors/muzzle brakes, bayonet lugs, and may feature synthetic stocks. These features, while common, do not determine if a rifle fits in the assault rifle catgegory. Only the caliber, and the ability for select fire make it an assault rifle.

Semiauto rifles (or handguns) which have straight line stocks (or close to it), pistol grips, large capacity detachable magazines, flash suppressors/muzzle brakes, bayonet lugs, magazines which do not enter the pistol grip, and may feature synthetic stocks are classed in the media (and in some US law) as "assault weapons", a term made up entirely based on the cosmetic features of the gun, not on the caliber or the function. Assault weapon is an anti-gunner BS term and we should not use it.

Assault rifle is a proper firearms term (in use since 1944/45) and when used in the correct context is entirely proper.

Select fire rifles using a full power round are generally called "battle rifles". Full auto rifles (without semi auto function) are called "automatic rifles" in general use, but under US legal definition are machine guns, as are assault rifles, because of the ability for full auto fire.

Assault pistol is another BS anti gunner term, and we should not use it. Small automatic rifles firing pistol caliber ammo are submachine guns. Because they fire full auto, under US law they are classed as machine guns for legal purposes. Full auto handguns are rare (very few models made), and under US law would also be machineguns.

Calling an AR-15 an assault rifle is wrong. It is incorrect. Calling it an assault weapon is drinking the anti-gunners kool-aid. It was technically correct, under the definitions of the 1994 AWB, but that bill has sunset in 2004, and no longer has any legal standing. Calling an M16 an assault rifle is correct.

The only oddball in the definitions is the M2 Carbine. Remember the definitions come from the WWII era when the assault rifle was first fielded(except for those made up by the antis), and at that time, the .30 carbine round was considered an oversize pistol round, and was not included in the pistol category (being more powerful than standard pistol rounds, and with no pistols made for it, at the time). Likelwise, it was not big (powerful) enough to be considered an intermediate power round, so it was not included in the assault rifle category. Neither fish nor fowl, nor good red meat, the full auto (select fire) M2 carbine got classed all by itself for definitions, but is considered a machinegun under US law.

So, if your select fire rifle chambers the 7.92x33, the 7.62x39, the 5.56mm, or some equivalent round, it can be an assault rifle. If it chambers the 7.62x51, the 7.62x54R, the .30-06, the 8x57, the 7x57 or some equivalent round, it is not an assault rifle, and it is incorrect and improper to refer to it as such.

ARE WE CLEAR ON THIS?
Old July 20, 2008, 05:45 PM   #31
Michael A. Le Lack

ASS.ualt.weapom

Please.see.post.#4,less.words.same.thought.
Old July 25, 2008, 01:26 AM   #32
imp

Well..if there is only 2 true assault rifles, why do we have a thread titled "Top 5 Assault Rifles!"???
Old July 25, 2008, 04:10 AM   #33
Catchabullet

Replace one of those with...

H&K 416.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gZpZryZEiY4&feature=related
Old July 25, 2008, 08:57 AM   #34
republican24/7

How about the Sturmgewer 44...? The grandfather of all assault rifles?
Old July 25, 2008, 09:59 AM   #35
Firepower!

Well if people read the posts before typing less than intelligent and redundant posts, they will realize that I have changed the term assualt to automatic after nonchalant whinning.

An automatic rifle that I use for assualt formation is an assualt rifle for me regardless of what you guys say.

I practically live in war zone with automatic weapons unlike ppl who are commenting non stop on terms and yet have not been in a combat ever.

This is as polite I can be to tell folks out their to get a life.
Old July 25, 2008, 10:42 PM   #36
Crosshair

Quote:
How about the Sturmgewer 44...? The grandfather of all assault rifles?
Not really. The design was very German (Overly complicated) and it was not a very durable rifle (The sheet metal receiver was easily bent.) Still, it was the first assault rifle that was fielded in significant quantities.
Old July 26, 2008, 12:28 AM   #37
Catchabullet

i still say the 416
Old July 26, 2008, 12:56 AM   #38
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

Actually Crosshair, the weak points on the MP-44 do not include a weak receiver. It's not as easily dented as you think. The problems with the MP-44 include complicated mechanism in pistol grip (though it's very reliable), weak buttstock connection (using the MP-44 as a club will break it as easily as a M-16), and the 7.92x33 round's bullet is a bit too heavy for the powder charge (Russian 7.62x39 is superior). The MP-44 is also a bit longer and bulkier than the AK-47. It's darn good for a gun that was developed so quickly and rushed into production, but it was doomed primarily by a lack of ammo produced for it.
Old July 26, 2008, 02:57 AM   #39
Southern_guy

I'd go for:

1. AK-47
2. M-16
3. FN FAL
4. Steyr AUG
5. M14
6. AK-74
7. P90
Old July 26, 2008, 01:35 PM   #40
Crosshair

Quote:
It's not as easily dented as you think.
Hmm, I always read that it suffered in the durability department.
Old July 27, 2008, 08:28 PM   #41
hknut

1) M14
2) HK 91
3) FN/FAL
4) M16 family
5) AK family

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old July 31, 2008, 12:08 PM   #42
Firepower!

hknut, since we are talking automatic rifles may be you ought to replace hk91 with G3.

I think G3 is heavy but a heck of a power tool. I shot ten mags today on select. Its just awesome. I guess I like the 308 BANG!
Old August 1, 2008, 01:42 AM   #43
hknut

If you live in a full auto state, you can have a full auto 91.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.