The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2008, 11:57 AM   #1
codger

case mouth bell-Lee clas. turret

I have recently started reloading 45 acp. I'm not new to reloading (started 1965), but this is my first attempt at pistol handloads. I am having trouble getting the bell right, the bullet seems to be mis-aligned somewhat & the case is deformed, or when I open the bell a little so the bullet is seated properly, there is a problem with the powder-through expanding die. The die flares the case, drops the powder charge, and then on the upstroke it takes a very hard lift to decompress the flare and this sometimes spills powder from the case. Will remounting the press to a sturdier bench cure the problem or am I not adjusting the die properly? Codger
Old July 21, 2008, 12:31 PM   #2
snuffy

The tapered portion of the lee expanders is sometimes very rough. What most do is take the expander plug/powder though expander, out of the die and spin it with some fine emery cloth or sandpaper. This should smooth out the rough finish, preventing it from hanging onto the case.

None of my lee dies have ever done this, but it seems to be a common problem now.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 21, 2008, 01:35 PM   #3
codger

case mouth bell

Thanks for the info Snuffy, I'll try that.
Old July 21, 2008, 06:11 PM   #4
UnderDawgAl

I had the exact same problem 3 times yesterday while using my Lee dies to reload .38 Spl. After the first time, I took the expander out of the die, cleaned both the die and expander plug completely, reassembled, and kept reloading. Ten rounds later, another stuck case.

Grabbed different .38/.357 Lee expander die, inserted it, adjusted it, and continued reloading. Less than 10 rounds later, yet another stuck case.

Funny thing is, I've reloaded about 2,000 rounds with the dies with no problems. I keep it set to flare just enough to seat a bullet on top.

Looks like I'm going to try to polish the expander plugs on those two dies, as others have suggested, to see if that smooths them out.

Note that the Lee dies are 20 years old, but have seen only about 2,000 rounds through them. The problem does not just lie with recently produced dies.