The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2024, 08:13 PM   #51
LeverGunFan

Labradar fires back with their generation 2 doppler radar chronograph, shipping in April.
Old March 2, 2024, 05:58 AM   #52
ligonierbill

Ain't free market competition great!
Old March 2, 2024, 09:25 AM   #53
MarkCO

FWIW, I have used the Garmin and the MagnetoSpeed simultaneously a few times now. And I have used the Garmin at 45 feet, on steel (to eliminate that it is picking up beyond the target). Not a single missed shot and I might be ready to sell the MagnetoSpeed.
Old March 20, 2024, 11:18 PM   #54
markr6754

Late to the party. I bought my Garmin last November, had to set it under the tree, and finally took it out to the indoor range 2 weeks ago. I’ve never used a chronograph. Figured I’d run into some kind of learning curve as to placement and aiming. Nope!
It did miss a few shots as it triggered off the next lane…but didn’t calculate any shots not from my lane. So if I happened to shoot just after the next lane did, the Garmin was already triggered, thus missing my shot.
I recorded 22 sessions of mixed 6.8 SPC, 6mm ARC, 9mm Luger, and even some 22LR for grins.
Aiming just needs to be straight down range. When changing magazines I nudged the Garmin a bit…so it was pointing a tad to the left…and it missed 2 shots till I figured it out. No fancy, specific aiming needed…just perpendicular to my lane.
One quirk…it would only sync pistol sessions to my Android phone, and rifle sessions only to my iPad. Garmin support had no answers…just advised me to only sync to my iPad.
Old March 21, 2024, 06:48 AM   #55
LeverGunFan

Interesting... you are the first report I've read of the Garmin missing a few shots. What was the offset of the Garmin from the muzzle of your firearms when you were shooting? In general, the closer the unit is to the muzzle, the better that a radar chronograph will operate.
Old April 5, 2024, 12:26 AM   #56
6MT

I took the new Retrograde out today to try it out.

I had some 1oz target slugs to shoot. Notice that there’s no speed printed on that label.

Now, I’ve never chrony’d a slug from a scattergun. I tried it once with a LabRadar and I wasn’t surprised that it couldn’t pick up the big chunk of lead. Someone at the range told me that only slugs with the wad glued to the lead can be picked up by the LabRadar. It seems to get confused with two pieces flying down range.

Enter the little Garmin wonder. The Garmin only picked up 19 out of the 25 rounds that I fired. To be fair, I believe that I was moving away from the chrony as I was firing. And I got too far away from it. I’ll give the Garmin the benefit of the doubt. Now, just look at those spread and SD numbers!

The fellow shooting next to me was jealous with those numbers. I was amazed. That is pretty consistent ammo! And it’’s just cheapo target grade lower recoil shells.
Old April 5, 2024, 08:10 AM   #57
Unclenick
Staff

Good consistency! I assume you missed getting a ft-lb measure because you didn't enter the slug weight in grains (437.5 grains per ounce). At your average velocity with a 1 oz slug, it works out to be 1565.3 ft-lbs.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 5, 2024, 10:44 AM   #58
6MT

Yes that’s correct. I forgot to get the conversion and figure out the weight of the slug to enter into the Garmin. And at the range I was at, the cell phone coverage is non exsistant.
Old April 5, 2024, 03:45 PM   #59
Unclenick
Staff

It's an easy conversion if you remember there are 7000 grains in a pound and 16 ounces in a pound. To get an ounce in grains, you just divide 7000 grs/lb by 16 oz/lb. The pounds cancel, and you have 437.5 grains per ounce. (I am just putting that in your head in case you forget the 437.5 number next time you measure slug velocities at the range.)
Old April 5, 2024, 03:58 PM   #60
6MT

Yeah thanks, I already knew the conversion and the equivalent gr/lb. I just didn’t have it with me at the range and couldn’t access it because of the lack of cell coverage.

I’ve got it now in my iPad (which is my range computer).
Old April 5, 2024, 04:49 PM   #61
Unclenick
Staff

Yeah, but the calculator in the phone should still work, so if you remember the definitions of grains and ounces, you can get the result using the calculator. No Internet required.
Old April 5, 2024, 05:33 PM   #62
6MT

Awesome idea! Too bad I have old guy brain and never thought of that.