The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 3, 2020, 11:44 AM   #1
tpcollins

Question about sighting in a red dot

I understand MOA is based at 100 yards, and at 50 yards you adjust twice as many clicks. I read where to pattern your turkey gun at 10 yards and see where the wad hits the target first as a point to adjust from.

But if I have a red dot that’s 1 MOA per click, and I hit 3” high the first time at 10 yards, would that still be 30 clicks down?

Or is there an issue with the red dot’s line of sight versus where the direction the bore is aiming? Seems like it would only work “after” the shot has crossed above the red dot’s line of sight - and at whatever that distance is.

Or is a close distance irrelevant and the formula is treated the same as any distance under 100 yards? Thanks.
Old March 3, 2020, 02:08 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...see where the wad hits..." The shot pattern, not the wad. Where the wad lands doesn't tell you anything.
The shot pattern is the circle of holes made by the pellets. So when patterning, you fire at a great big sheet of paper or cardboard(butcher paper is good. That reddish stuff butchers wrap meat in. Or a roll of wrapping paper or art paper. 50 feet runs about $18 in Walmart. Or this https://www.amazon.com/Kraft-Paper-R.../dp/B01N6584SD), draw a circle around the holes, measure the diameter and either count or guesstimate the number of pellets in the circle. Then sight in based on where the middle of the pattern is. Easier to do than describe.
However, MOA really doesn't apply to shotguns using shot. One MOA equates to 1" at 100 yards. So one click on your sight will move the dot that much at 100.
Old March 3, 2020, 02:20 PM   #3
tpcollins

Wouldn’t where the wad hits at 10 yards be close to the center of the pattern for starters?

Seems like a quick start to eliminate wasting a bunch of expensive turkey shells.
Old March 3, 2020, 02:27 PM   #4
Virginian

Depending on how high the sight line is above the bore, the POI may rise excessively after 10 yards. Sight in at 10 or 15 yards, and then check at longer distance. It's very easy.
Old March 3, 2020, 07:12 PM   #5
Blindstitch

The wad my be only useful at 10 yards or less. Best to look at the pattern and remember depending on the choke you're looking at up to 1 inch of spread per yard of distance.

As for clicks it's easier to just go a certain number of clicks. 5, 10, 15 whatever and shoot again. Better than guessing and over correcting.
Old March 11, 2020, 09:46 PM   #6
bamaranger

zero

Don't count on the wad to tell you anything. Most all are bladed, unstable, and won't go to the same place twice. What will land consistently at close range, say 15 yards, is your shot column, chewing a hole in the target about the size of a softball, maybe less depending on load and choke. The wad may or may not go with it, but where the wad goes doesn't matter. I normally stick a paster on the target, when I blow it to smithereens, I move back to 30 yds and shoot again. At 30 yds, you will still have a discernible, distinct, tight pattern that you can slide around with your sight system, to center on target. By 50 yds I'd think about all load and choke combos would be open enough that interpretation of centered would be difficult. I zero at 30, and shoot a couple at longer ranges to see what the gun is doing density wise, but accept my 30 yd zero as good.

I'd suggest you set up on bags just like you would a rifle. When I zero my turkey guns, I start with everyday shotshells, no use wasting expensive gobbler ammo if your "pattern" lands a foot or so off. As noted, with your line of sight markedly above your bore, your load may well land a bit low initially, then rise markedly once the line of sight is crossed. When you verify your zero with turkey ammo, I sometimes switch to a small cheater bag on my shoulder to soak up recoil.
Old March 12, 2020, 10:03 PM   #7
darkgael

Pattern

Pattern spread per choke (from the NRA Firearms Fact Book)
FC = one inch per yard
MC = 1.5 inches per yard
IC = 1.75 inches per yard
CYL = two inches per yard.
These are not carved in stone. They are approximate. Your gun, your loads, your choke may be different.
For very detailed info see Bob Brister’s “Shotgunning: The Art and the Science” or Michael McIntosh’s “Shotguns and Shooting”.

Pete
Old March 13, 2020, 01:15 AM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
I understand MOA is based at 100 yards, and at 50 yards you adjust twice as many clicks.
MOA is not based at 100 yds, nor 50 yds, nor even 5 yards. MOA is a geometry description of the angle between the different flight paths of projectiles coming from a point of origin. It works at any distance because it describes the amount of the dispersion. 1 MOA (minute of angle = 1/60th of 1 degree) equates to 1.047" at 100 yds, and .1047" at 10 yds, but it is actually describing an angle with the point of the cone or triangle at the muzzle and the the ends of the legs at certain points on your target. So 1" is roughly 1 MOA at 100 yds, but 1" at 10 yds is roughly 10 MOA. You are trying to equate MOA and inches, it's much easier to get your brain aroung if you just think in either MOA or inches.
Old April 1, 2020, 01:12 PM   #9
jrothWA

Point of aim = point of impact. Just like a slug barrel.

Recommend to sight-in @ 20 -25 yards, then back out to where you lose pellet density on
a standard turkey target.

Also, recommend you avoid "magnunitis", you'll find standard game loads are friendlier, on you [shoulder]and the wallet!

Good Luck