The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 27, 2010, 12:32 PM   #26
Brit

Good on you Mike38

I totally agree with you, and did the same with my two, my little girl is 50!

But it was not so in my part time job as Bouncer, and minder, at that time, at that place, and still worked a 44 hour full time job, and did not smoke or drink.

And I am not going to apologies for who I am or what I did, what you see is what you get.

I lived 8 miles out of the City Center, the Pool was, and is different than where my kids where brought up, plus we moved a lot, UK, Australia, Canada, now Gods Country.

But say what you really mean! Don't hold back!
Old June 27, 2010, 12:33 PM   #27
Glenn Dee

My Personal "KUDOS" to Blue Train, and Murdoch. Thanks fellas for keeping this thing in perspective.
I wonder if Brit is now operating in the US? or still in the UK.

I do see his point, but I think he may be mixing, and matching round pegs with squair holes. Although "WARRIOR MIND SET" is popular these days. I believe it's an inapropriate term for anyone other than Active military in an active theatre.

Another poster stated this more eloquently than I could ever do.

Blue Train... your comments about policing, and the warrior mindset is absotively posoloutly dead on target. I feel exactly the same way, based on my experience in Policeing. Notice I say Policeing, and refrain from using the term Law Enforcement. Two different animals.

Just to keep the thread going... Civilians with "firearms" should never confuse themselves with the police... no matter how much better a shot they are, no matter what training they have, no matter what someone told them.

The Police should never ever ever ever confuse themselves with the US Military. No matter what equipment they have, no matter what training they have, no matter what kind of a "FIREARM" they have, No matter what kind of a uniform they wear.
Old June 27, 2010, 01:10 PM   #28
Brit

Were am I?

When I started this, my tongue was stuck firmly in cheek! Was I brave, or foolish? Stirred up a storm yes?

I live in Florida, with legal green card, can apply for US Citizenship in 2011, if you guys don't block it!

I do not take a pill, fit as a flea, my 65 year old second Wife (Who I love to death) thinks I am handsome, despite being a Liverpool Hooligan, she is from Guyana. Came first most accurate in my last IDPA match, out of 45, not too bad, third in class.

By the way, love the US, came in legally, my Son (47) is a US Citizen, I think Arizona is right.

Going back to trying to ignore the fantastic team the Germans fielded!
Old June 27, 2010, 02:04 PM   #29
BlueTrain

Now Brit guy, do you have a picture of a ferry on your wall?
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 27, 2010, 03:02 PM   #30
Brit

No, but I met Jerry Marsden on many occasions, "Ferry across the Mersey" in fact he was featured in a Concert I worked at in New Brighton, we were employed by Brian Epstein, the Stones where on that venue, and Jerry Lee Lewis I think.

A mad house night, one fight all night, till you read the newspapers the next day, same as now, lies galore.

We worked concerts on The Royal Iris, on the Mersey cruises. Is that the Ferry you mean?
Old June 27, 2010, 03:57 PM   #31
BlueTrain

Well, I've known many British folk, including one young (at the time) woman from Liverpool and she did indeed have a photo of a ferry across the Mersey. I've even known a few WWII veterans who served in the British Army, I think probably all gone now. At the home of one, about 25 years ago, I met a former colonel commanding the Blues who served in 2 HCR in WWII, along with a former Polish soldier who competed in the 1936 Olympics. And the gentleman at whose home all this took place also competed (for Canada) in a later Olympic game and had taken part in the last mounted operation in WWII, which was in Palestine. These were all horse people.

Now the curious thing is that in all my converstations with the one (the others I only met once or twice), we never talked about the war, beyond finding out what units were involved. That was pretty much the same with my father, who served in Italy. The was was ancient history. Current events, mostly family, was about it.
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 27, 2010, 07:24 PM   #32
Brit

WW11

We used to watch the flames of the exhaust, from the side of the engines as the fighters took off from Lord Derby's estate, half a mile from my Dad's Pub.

The Long Pull (nickname) The Victoria Hotel.

We had an anti aircraft gun mounted outside the Pub, on a concrete pad, big wing nuts on bolts, at night they mounted the Gun. I would have been 6 or seven.

I still rememberer the criss cross of sticky tape on the glass of the windows, and the crump of the bombs, not a light anywhere. We also had a great big water tank in our back yard, emergency water. When they took it down, after the war, big fish in it, Granny cooked it. Was good.
Old June 28, 2010, 06:23 AM   #33
BlueTrain

The last British individual I met, about a year ago, was the grandmother of my daughter's boyfriend. She served in the RAF during the war. War stories galore but no mention of guns. She came here as a war bride. Now my daughter's boyfriend is serving in the USAF. He doesn't have much to do with guns.

Another acquaintence, this one Irish, told me the other day that if I was ever in Cambridge, I should go to the back room in the American Eagle pub. They had taken a wall that was covered in graffiti from wartime GIs and put it overhead. He also said that, knowing the English, it'd be there forever.

I'm still thinking whether or not a nightclub bouncer is a warrior or not but then, I've never been to any nightclub, much less one that had a bouncer.

Did you ever read anything by Jeff Cooper? For most of us, frankly, I think he had more to say for ordinary people about personal defense (that is, defence) than any of the classical works about war. But just as all of the books about the Samauri and Bushido were written well after the warring period in Japan, few of the classical books about war were written by famous and successful generals and more than a few famous and successful generals had a Waterloo. One, however, well worth reading is "Infantry Attacks" by of all people, Erwin Rommel, before he made general.

I can't believe I just recommended Jeff Cooper to someone.
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 28, 2010, 09:06 AM   #34
Brit

Jeff Cooper

Blue Train.

I met Jeff Cooper on more than one occasion, we had him as a guest speaker a few times in an assoc I was a board member of for twenty years.

And my Son and I visited his House one Christmas when the range was closed.

I think I have posted this here? B/4? He put his arm around my Sons shoulder, Michael was a little taller than Jeff, he said "Your Dad is a fine Chap, except for his penchant for that pip squeak calibre, the 9mm"

The Bouncer bit is misleading, I am a Warrior, nothing to do with being a Bouncer really.

I worked with two Pals who were also (Warriors/Villains) Larry Newport was ex SAS, we never found that out till after his death in 2007, in Wales, his beret, and patches, apparently was in his room. The fastest hands I had ever seen.

George Downs, also a partner at the Cavern Club, 6'2'', pair of shoulders as wide as a door, he could grab someones face with one hand, George and I worked together to the extent he has left if I never turned up!
Only happened once! Not able to find George? Last saw him in 1965.

I left some changes behind in England! If you intend to go again, give me a shout. Your friend is right, they will ply you with drinks going to that Pub, we as Brits appreciate those many of thousands of Yanks who died in the War, I know I do, I never would listen to derogatory remarks about Yanks.

I would be speaking German now, or be dead except for those troops, those thousands of white crosses in Normandy, are mute proof.

Then those Germans add insult to injury and beat us in the World Cup!
Old June 28, 2010, 09:13 AM   #35
BlueTrain

You've met Jeff Cooper and even been to his house! Oh, dear. I'll be quiet now.

I'm neither a bouncer nor a warrior, in spite of having served in the army for three years and another in the D.C. National Guard. My father, my son, and my father-in-law all served in the army, yet we're not a particularly military family. And by the way, by now you probably know that in certain parts of the United States, people don't like being called Yanks.
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 28, 2010, 10:34 AM   #36
Brit

Blue Train

[QUOTE certain parts of the United States, people don't like being called Yanks.
][/QUOTE]

My Bad, wonder if that would get a reaction! In England it just means Americans! I remember the old statement about the Americans.
"Over payed, over sexed, and over here!"
My Dad said the first time he was asked for "Scotch on the rocks" (We kept a Pup) "where am I going to get ice from in the Summer".

In working at The Cavern Club, 1960-1964. That is where the Beatles played a lot, I spoke to them many times. Message reads... "Move the Van!" "Carry them yourself" In fact I got stabbed there, twice. If you need to hear about those incidents, send an email.

Remember the Beatles were just an other group to me, the kids loved them, me, I liked to chat to Acker Bilk more, of Stranger on the shore fame. he played Trad Jazz, thursday nights.

Maybe this is not a topic the gun guys want to listen to. Read about?
Old June 28, 2010, 10:58 AM   #37
Glenn E. Meyer

No offense, since the last half of the thread was just chat - I recommend you take it to PMs.

Thanks for the OP.

Closed.