The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2020, 09:49 PM   #1
smleno1mkIII

If you could only use one powder for everything what would it be?

For me it would be close between red dot and unique. I use red dot a lot for cast rifle loads and use unique a lot for pistol but I know both do well vice versa and in shotguns to.
Old May 17, 2020, 10:54 PM   #2
morgaj1

I don’t load for pistols or shotguns. IMR-4350 would be my vote. I have loads in 7mm-08, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag that all produce great accuracy and velocity. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 17, 2020, 11:06 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

It would be Unique . I could make do with it in some guns very well, an in all guns good enough to get by. Not the best powder for any one thing, but the best all around for everything.
Old May 18, 2020, 01:01 AM   #4
smleno1mkIII

Yeah I really like unique in .45acp 45colt and 44 special works fine in 9mm to great in 20 ga and good for cast in a ton of different rifle rounds the only thing is Red Dot for some reason works a little better for cast rifle not a ton better but noticeable.
Old May 18, 2020, 03:33 AM   #5
HiBC

I'm going to be contrary. I handload so I can select the optimum powder for whatever I'm shooting.

You might be able to load a pistol r shotgun powder into rifle reduced loads,

But human beings being fallible,a double charge will easily hide inside the case.

Those wreck guns and hurt people.

I suggest yo list the cartrides you want to load for,and maybe two or three powders will cover them pretty well.

Now,this IS from memory from a few years back,but in the Hogdon Reloader Annual,that looks like a magazine,I recall (IIRC) listed,tested Varget loads from 17 Mach IV to 45-70 trapdoor. I tried some in a Rolling Block 40-70 Sharps Straight/405 Win and it worked...not great,some unburned powder,but it went bang and put a hole in the target.

Its pretty versatile..but I would not load my handguns with it.

If I had HP 38 or HS 6, Unique or 2400, Varget and 4350 or RE 19,I suppose I could get by.

I could be a smart alec and say FFFG Black powder.
Old May 18, 2020, 07:20 AM   #6
USSR

Have to agree with you, smleno1mkIII, regarding Red Dot. I use it for trap loads, handgun loads, and cast bullet rifle loads. Since it is a bulky powder, pretty tough to double charge anything with it.

Don
Old May 18, 2020, 09:15 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

'Everything" covers such a broad selection that it's virtually impossible for one powder to work for "everything." Since there was no mention of rifle, shotgun, or handgun, I think we have to take "everything" as covering the entire spectrum from .25 ACP all the way up through 10-gauge shotgun and at least .30-06 (I'll be charitable and leave out .50 BMG). Can any one powder successfully cause the projectile(s) from anything in that range to leave the barrel? Sure.

Can any single powder load everything in that range to safely and reliably achieve the same muzzle velocities as factory ammo for each cartridge? I'm going to say no. Without even getting into rifle, I've been using Winchester 231 for all my handgun loads. When I started loading for .45 Colt, there was so little powder in the case that double or even triple charging became a possibility, along with concerns about powder shifting under recoil. So I went out and bought a couple of jugs of Trail Boss.
Jeepaholic
Old May 18, 2020, 09:54 AM   #8
pete2

For shotguns and handguns my choice would be Green Dot. Bear in mind no .357 or .44 mag velocities with it tho. There would have to be a different powder for rifles.....would have to study on the rifle powder.
Old May 18, 2020, 10:10 AM   #9
BJung

Unique is known as being fairly universal and can be used in pistols and rifles. I don't like it because it smokes a lot and sounds like miniature corn flakes in my powder thrower. I never tried Red Dot or Green Dot but if they do the same, I could go there.
Old May 18, 2020, 10:51 AM   #10
ms6852

If it was only one powder I would probably change to BP Swiss 2fg. Can use it in a variety of my firearms modern and old.
Old May 18, 2020, 11:23 AM   #11
Swifty Morgan

Every time I try to come up with a pistol load, it seems like No.7 pops up.
Old May 18, 2020, 11:26 AM   #12
Swifty Morgan

This could be a useful thread. Eventually, the left will run America, and people will have to get by on whatever powder they already have. Most people can't buy a huge supply of every powder they like, along with other supplies.
Old May 18, 2020, 11:33 AM   #13
FITASC

For handguns and shotguns, Titewad or Universal will work. Titegroup or Unique in second place. I no longer shoot enough rifle to worry about it so I could buy a few boxes of 7-08 and have enough for a LONG time.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 18, 2020, 11:57 AM   #14
FM12

Unique or red dot.
Old May 18, 2020, 12:32 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
What it would be is too slow for my light handgun loads and too fast for my long-range rifle loads, and it would be frustrating trying to find load data at the extreme ends of my purposes.

Something like 4227 would make good magnum handgun loads, get nowhere near maximum velocity in large case capacity rifle cartridges, and probably fail to light and burn reliably in very light handgun target loads. Probably closer to universally usable, if you don't mind dirty and possibly corrosive, would FFG black powder, though, again, not the best in a 32 Wadcutter and far from the fastest in a 338 Lapua Mag.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 18, 2020, 01:16 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Gunpowder....today known as Black Powder

A medium /fast pistol powder will "work" in "everything" but "work" in this case only means pushing the bullet out the end of the barrel.

There is NO one powder that will give full performance over the full range of "everything" (small pistol cases up through large rifle cases)
Old May 18, 2020, 01:19 PM   #17
Metal god

Interesting question, sure we've seen it before but I've never seen it to include both rifle and handgun loads. If I were to be taking this seriously, I think I'd first have to or at least in combination with the first need to decide what guns/cartridges I was now only going to shoot. As Unclenick points out this would include completely abandoning some firearms and their purpose.

I already use too many, maybe I should just use one.

With out putting too much thought into it, I'd think a slow pistol powder would be good. Maybe 2400 or similar for magnum handgun because I'd have to give up on the 9mm If I'd want any decent rifle load ??? There might be better powders I just don't know enough about them all. I'd think a slow handgun powder that could be loaded down but still be pushed hard if need be.

Maybe even going 357mag or 44mag and only have revolver and lever gun. All's I know is if I could only have one powder I'd have a lot more safe queens then I already do

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; May 18, 2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old May 18, 2020, 02:52 PM   #18
Paul B.

One powder? Ridiculous! I'd settle for a minimum of two. Unique would handle all my handguns and H4350 or Rl17 for the rifles. I've retired the heavy boomer like the .375 H&H, .404 jeffery and .416 Rigby as serious recoil just isn't as much fun as it used to be. Even so, it wouldn't surprise me if even they might still work with a cast bullet load of some sort and the H4350.

I've been working with the 7x57 a lot lately and H4350 and Re17 both work very well in that cartridge. Re17 seems to be the better choice for accuracy in my rifle and is tied with H4350 for speed.
I've had some interesting results in the .44 Mag. and Colt .45 cartridges with Unique lately. I had to go to them because I can't find any 2400. It disappears as fast as they put it out.
Paul B.
Old May 18, 2020, 02:56 PM   #19
DaleA

One powder...

But there's no reason to limit yourself!!!

You might as well ask what one meal would satisfy your nutritional needs and just eat that every day for every meal.

You've given your reasons (which I understand) and my reply is use what's best for what you're doing and pray we're never limited by law to what we can use. (I think a total BAN on reloading powder would be more likely then THEM limiting us to just a few selections.)

Please note, I'm not being a wet blanket here...just contributing to the discussion.
Old May 18, 2020, 05:46 PM   #20
Average Joe

Red Dot but only for shotguns and handguns. ( between your two choices that is)
Old May 18, 2020, 05:54 PM   #21
Kevin Rohrer

Another too-often asked question where the answer is always the same.

Unique.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old May 18, 2020, 07:36 PM   #22
SHR970

I reload from 32 ACP to 375 Remington Ultra Mag. One powder???? Got any canned Rainbow Unicorn Farts?
Old May 18, 2020, 09:54 PM   #23
Metal god

Quote:
Got any canned Rainbow Unicorn Farts?
I'd only get the 8lb jugs of those , you know cus of the hazmat

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; May 19, 2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old May 19, 2020, 02:40 AM   #24
HiBC

Once again,OP,

If the point of this post is just BS ing and wasting time,well, IMO,black owder is as good an answer as any.

If you will just list the cartridges you load for,and bullet weights, we can help you select a minimal powder inventory that will actually give you pretty good ammo.

Till then,this is a yawner
Old May 19, 2020, 08:21 AM   #25
rodfac

Well...pretty tough to come up with one that'll work with handgun, shotgun and rifle...but given that premise, I'd pick Unique.

It'll do for handgun with medium to high velocity loads, say up to 1200 fps, in .357, .41 and .44 Magnums without hitting pressure limits. And it's always a good, reliable choice for 9mm, .40 S&W, and .38 Special rounds.

In shotgun, with a little load research, you'll find that it'll do well for 12, 16, & 20 gauges.

But for rifle, with cast bullet use, and if you limit velocities to the 1900 vintage lead bullet loads in cartridges like .32-40, .44-40, .38-55, and .45-70; it'll do nicely as well in .270, .30-30, .30-06, .308, & 7x57 mm, etc.

Aside from its less than sterling dispenser measuring attributes, and a somewhat smoky burning characteristic (hell..it's known as "flaming dirt" by various detractors), Unique will do nicely as a one single choice powder....that said, I've currently got exactly 14 lbs of it in my powder cabinet and both Dillon 550B powder measures are full!

YMMv, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; May 19, 2020 at 08:27 AM.

Tags
best all round powder