The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 11, 2015, 12:43 AM   #51
hartcreek

You do not implement laws allowing public hunting of hogs on private land you declare the hogs a nuisance and employ hunters contracted out to a state agency and then bill the land owner for the eradication services because the land owner failed to stay in compliance.
Old November 11, 2015, 08:13 AM   #52
thallub

Quote:
Deer hunters often exasterbate the problem by feeding pigs as a backup plan and Christmas hams
If you put a feeder in hog country you will get wild hogs. Those wild hogs often run the deer off the feed.

There is one sure way of keeping hogs away from deer feeders; install a low fence. Deer hop over the fence but the hogs stay out.

To attract hogs after deer season is over simply open one end of a panel.
Old November 12, 2015, 07:47 AM   #53
Gunplummer

Somebody mentioned about seeing less deer with more feral hogs. Anybody know of them going after fawns? I have seen penned hogs patiently wait acting like they were sleeping and grab full grown roosters and eat them. Just curious.
Old November 20, 2015, 01:24 PM   #54
¤_Ozark_¤_Hunter_¤

To Gunplummer: the guy who's land I hunt on has a neighbor who had a calf killed by hogs I've spoke to the guy and he swares it was hogs because coyotes would have atleast ate the calf. Wether it be true or not is beyond me but that's what I heard. I'm sure if they will kill calfs given the chance they would surely kill a fawn.
Old November 20, 2015, 02:51 PM   #55
kcub

A friend who owns land says hogs run off deer and turkey.

Two years ago his 90 year old mother-in-law said she saw the "cows wrestling" so she walked outside to have a closer look and slipped on the ice and broke her hip. "No mother, those aren't cows those are pigs."

He called up his ex green beret military buddies together and they wiped the pigs out.

Last edited by kcub; November 22, 2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old November 21, 2015, 07:15 AM   #56
thallub

Quote:
Anybody know of them going after fawns?
IMO: Some hogs develop a taste for fawns. i caught one big boar in the act of killing a fawn. Another was eating a fawn i heard him kill. Both hogs died on the spot.
Old November 21, 2015, 01:58 PM   #57
rickyrick

In general hogs can infiltrate a herd of animals, wild or domestic, and cause problems. They will eat anything... At the bare minimum, they can bully other animals and cause stress to the population.
Old November 21, 2015, 09:09 PM   #58
stillquietvoice

here in ny hog hunting is illegal. dec says killing one will split the group and exacerbate the problem.
Old November 21, 2015, 09:33 PM   #59
Doyle

Quote:
here in ny hog hunting is illegal. dec says killing one will split the group and exacerbate the problem.
They are idiots.
Old November 22, 2015, 06:54 AM   #60
Double Naught Spy

That isn't exactly what the NY DEC says.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/70843.html
Quote:
When a hunter shoots at a boar, the animals in the sounder run off in all directions and don't always come back together again. Hunting prevents us from trapping all the animals in the sounder, makes the boars harder to trap during subsequent attempts (boars learn to avoid traps if they are shot at around a trap), and instead of one large sounder, we must now have to locate and eradicate two or more smaller sounders.
If there goal is to catch entire sounders in traps, then their statement isn't without merit. Sounders can be scattered for a brief period of time, but individuals find each other pretty quickly.

With that said, even with professional trappers like JagerPro, trapping is only part of the solution and is not 100% effective.

However, they do say something that is mind boggling.
Quote:
Because the boars have a high survival and reproductive rate, hunters must take 70-75% of the population each year just to stabilize the population.
That implies that the population, if unchecked by hunters/trappers, will triple to quadruple every year.

They go on to say...
Quote:
That is nearly impossible to do. Even in Texas where wild boar hunting is very popular, hunters take less than 40% of the population each year.
So if you only need 25-30% of a given population to survive and repopulate to comparable number within a year (stabilized population) and Texas is leaving behind >60% per year, then the Texas population must be more than doubling? Well, no. Despite apparently leaving behind so many, the annual increase is around 20% increase per year. http://www.invasivespecies.wa.gov/do...arvestinTX.pdf

Even at a claimed growth rate of 20% per year, the estimates for the Texas hog population surprisingly do not seem to reflect a 20% per year increase in population. We have been at 2-3 million hogs for more than a decade. If we were at 2 million 10 years ago with 20% population increase, then we should be at well over 12 million by now.

The bottom line here is that the giant population increases that should be occurring as indicated by stipulated numbers from government and academic sources are not occurring.
Old November 22, 2015, 09:41 AM   #61
mxsailor803

Gunplummer, I know first hand, hogs will eat snakes and other small critters they can kill. I don't see why they wouldn't go after a calf. In SC, they are becoming a problem to the point that we're seeing hogs more than deer. Granted, I don't mind filling up my freezer with pork. We also don't have a season or limits. For us, when deer season ends(Jan 1st) hog huntin begins.
Old November 22, 2015, 01:51 PM   #62
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Gunplummer, I know first hand, hogs will eat snakes and other small critters they can kill. I don't see why they wouldn't go after a calf.
Roadrunners go after snakes and other small critters, but won't go after a calf, LOL.
Old November 22, 2015, 02:06 PM   #63
kcub

Some female pigs don't get what they want for xmas, birthday, and Valentines day and refuse to procreate.