The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 12, 2021, 03:44 PM   #1
Longshot4

Im thinking of a 6mm Dasher for the grand kids.

I have 2 grandsons in the far north of Michigan. They have a lot of acreage to learn how to shoot. I believe they have it all up there. I started of with a Red rider. I want them to have a opportunity to learn how to hit the target wile they are young.

A 6mm Dasher in a solid built Bolt Action would give them the chance. Normally I would look for a Rem. 700 but I'm too late. Are there any suggestion's?
Old January 12, 2021, 03:51 PM   #2
Scorch

There are literally millions of Remington 700s out there, especially right after deer season like now. 6mm Dasher wouldn't be my first choice for a rifle for youngsters, I would choose something that is commercially available like 243 or 6mm Creedmore so they aren't limited in their options. Years ago a friend of mine picked up a Sako in 22PPC. Great shooter, absolutely fantastic. Then he ran out of ammo and it just sat, he shot his 223 more because he could get ammo easily when he wanted it So he traded it. So, nothing wrong with a 6mm Dasher, but think of it from the kids' point of view.
Old January 12, 2021, 07:16 PM   #3
Longshot4

good point

Kind of like the old 22 k hornet, 358 Win. or even 16 gage. All excellent but cant just pick them up at the local shop. The 6mm creedmoor should be around for a wile. So then it seams to me the Remington's only handle 243 the 6CR is the bolt I will be looking for. Ruger came out with one in 6CR a few years ago but I think they discontinued it. I have a Savage 10T that is one heck of a tight shooter but it also is in the 12Lb. area. I watch some of the gun webb sights and I'm not sure If the rifles are available at this time. I should just go hunting on line again to find what I like. Thanks for your input.
Old January 12, 2021, 08:40 PM   #4
hammie

I agree with scorch. Have you considered the 6.5 grendel? I wouldn't consider it a wildly popular mainstream cartridge, but it is not as esoteric as the 6mm dasher. Factory ammunition and brass are available. Also, the grendel should provide significantly less recoil than either of the creedmoors. The last I knew, Howa, Ruger, and CZ offer bolt action rifles for the 6.5 grendel. The problem will be finding any of them during this panic.

Last edited by hammie; January 12, 2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old January 12, 2021, 09:09 PM   #5
taylorce1

6mm Creedmoor and look at Howa, I really like mine
Old January 12, 2021, 09:13 PM   #6
bobn

fwiw the 6.5 grendel is a absolute joy to shoot. i have been a 243 fan since the seventies, sav99 was my first center fire gun.
... but alas i am a borderline geezer so noise and any kind of recoil is bothersome. i am resizing 762 x 39 brass using 140 grain exposed lead tip bullets with almost any medium speed powder in my ruger. darn thing shoots ten shot groups like no other sporter i own. just saying (btw 6 creedmoor is awesome but man is it noisy) good luck.....bobn
Old January 12, 2021, 09:53 PM   #7
stagpanther

You only live once--I say get the dasher.
Old January 13, 2021, 08:22 AM   #8
old roper

I would do the dasher. As to brass, I shoot Sako 22ppc and you can buy brass.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/category/categoryId/623

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...rass-questions
NRA Life Member
Old January 13, 2021, 10:33 AM   #9
Double K

Giving a rifle chambered in a wildcat cartridge to youngsters who don't have any experience with them or even live with you makes no sense, if you want a Dasher get it for yourself and get them a rifle in a factory cartridge chambering.
Old January 13, 2021, 02:11 PM   #10
Longshot4

6 dasher will be a good place to start loading. The kids Father started around 5 years old. Although he needs to get back into it.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Townsend Whelen

Old January 13, 2021, 03:29 PM   #11
stagpanther

I believe you can simply fireform 6 BR norma--in fact just fire the cartridge straight-up like you can fire a 280 Remington in a 280 AI.
Old January 13, 2021, 06:59 PM   #12
Longshot4

With primers... hard to find. It is going to be hard to find any reloading equipment for quite a wile with coved 19 slowing our lives down and I hope politicks cool down.
Old January 14, 2021, 09:09 AM   #13
std7mag

With the dumpster fire called politics, i don't foresee any letup in the future on firearms, ammo, or components.
And with the kids not living with you, reloading may or may not be an option.
Hence i'd probably lean towards a readily commercially available option. But i don't know what that would be right now.
While the 6 Dasher is a fine cartridge, don't over look the 6BR.
And you can find guns chambered from the factory in 6BR.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 14, 2021, 05:33 PM   #14
Longshot4

std7mag you also make a good point. I thank all for your input.
Old January 15, 2021, 07:10 PM   #15
jetinteriorguy

So, why not just get a .243. Win? What would be the advantage to the Dasher? Given the more commonly available.243 and no real difference performance wise I am curious why?
Old January 16, 2021, 12:03 PM   #16
Longshot4

243 Win is a good round. So is the 45acp and 30-06, 300 H&H and 300 Win. Mag., 22 LR and 22 mag. and 22 Hornet...

The 243 Win. and 6mm Creedmoor are over bored compared to the 6mm Dasher. I am in Michigan here a 22-250 is to small to hunt Deer legally. The Dasher would be a excellent cartrage to hunt Deer, Groundhogs, Coyotes and target shoot. I believe it would be a great training tool for my grand kids to learn what it takes to shoot accurately. It is kind of why you might have learned to shoot with a pellet gun or 22 LR. But the 6mm Dasher can teach them much more.

What do you think about that?

Also Maby if we promote it it could become a common off the shelf rifle chamber some day.

Last edited by Longshot4; January 16, 2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old January 16, 2021, 12:32 PM   #17
stagpanther

You and your grandkids will love it--you have my word on it.
Old January 17, 2021, 07:43 AM   #18
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot4 View Post
243 Win is a good round. So is the 45acp and 30-06, 300 H&H and 300 Win. Mag., 22 LR and 22 mag. and 22 Hornet...

The 243 Win. and 6mm Creedmoor are over bored compared to the 6mm Dasher. I am in Michigan here a 22-250 is to small to hunt Deer legally. The Dasher would be a excellent cartrage to hunt Deer, Groundhogs, Coyotes and target shoot. I believe it would be a great training tool for my grand kids to learn what it takes to shoot accurately. It is kind of why you might have learned to shoot with a pellet gun or 22 LR. But the 6mm Dasher can teach them much more.

What do you think about that?

Also Maby if we promote it it could become a common off the shelf rifle chamber some day.
I have no doubt that the 6mm Dasher would be a good round, I’m just looking at it from a more pragmatic point of view since the .243 is so much more common. To me the only advantage the Dasher would have is maybe being a more efficient round.
Old January 18, 2021, 11:24 AM   #19
DaleA

I would have seconded the .243 for ammunition availability...no question there, but:
Quote:
You only live once--I say get the dasher.
is only too true.

Find the dasher ammo online just once (remember the old saying: buy once, cry once) and buy a goodly supply of it and your problems are solved. And as you already said, you and yours reload so not so much of a problem, especially once the component drought goes away and I have to believe it must go away sometime.

Good luck.
Old January 18, 2021, 04:00 PM   #20
sako2

it's going away on Wednesday. LOL
Old January 19, 2021, 11:58 AM   #21
Longshot4

This world is spinning so fast lately. I just seen a artical on how investments in you not needing cash before long. I say look out for the crooks. China...

I would not be surprised if some day soon if you don't have ammo you won't be hunting... I started loading back in the 70s and have never regretted it. Ill load as long as I can and pass it on. When I cant load a 6mm Dasher we will all be in trouble.

What is your vote or how long will your vote count?
Old January 20, 2021, 10:40 AM   #22
stagpanther

I still have my bows--just in case.
Old January 20, 2021, 11:24 AM   #23
aarondhgraham

"Giving a rifle chambered in a wildcat cartridge to youngsters who don't have any experience with them or even live with you makes no sense, if you want a Dasher get it for yourself and get them a rifle in a factory cartridge chambering."

^^^ This ^^^

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)