The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 19, 2009, 05:52 PM   #51
Big Bill

I bet when young men are required to do a two or three year hitch in the armed forces that interest in guns and hunting will pick back up.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old October 20, 2009, 03:27 AM   #52
bamaranger

my boy

I have a son, now 14, who I have taken hunting and introduced to shooting at age 6 or so. He still goes w/ me, but is not really on fire for it.

He goes mainly 'cause he wants to be with me, I think. Conversely, I fool around w/ his video games and interest in team sports to be with him.

He still lacks patience to stand hunt, and likes spring turkey more than deer hunts 'cause '"you get to walk around and stuff". Its warmer (usually) too.

He's his own guy. I was disappointed at first, and still am to a degree, but we make the best of it. I don't push him hard, though I did for a while.
NOw, I'm happy when he goes, and try to find time to go his stuff when I can.

He has shown a distinct increase in interest in firearms as he matures.
When he discovers girls, all bets are off.
Old October 21, 2009, 02:29 PM   #53
James R. Burke

It is very good you can talk, that is very important. Sometimes you hope your kids will be into something you are into, but there not. Thats o.k. Who knows maybe someday he will change is mind. At least he has a good father that is not pushing him to do something he does not want to do. My son in law is a pitcher, and played in the minors for awhile, they did not sign him for the majors, and that was very hard on him. To make it short his son, my Grandson shows no interst in baseball. He is not pushing him, and just letting him be a kid, and do what he wants as long has it is clean etc. So I think your doing great just being able to talk, and handle it the way you did!
Old October 29, 2009, 12:02 PM   #54
Brasscatcher84

I applaud you on your handling of this situation. Whatever his reason, it is his choice, and telling him he has to hunt would be the same as PETA telling us all we have to refrain from hunting.
Old December 4, 2009, 09:44 PM   #55
A/C Guy

Quote:
I was really excited this year, because my oldest boy is 12 and I wanted to take him to the woods. I took him through the safety course last month and bought a ladder stand. I ordered a Stevens 200 in .243. I was getting ready to outfit him the rest of the way this weekend. Well, long story short, he broke it to me that he really doesn't want to hunt.
I would ask him why not. Maybe he doesn't like the hard work like you suggested, or maybe he has another reason that is due to wrong info and assumptions on his part; which you can discuss and overcome. I took our boys target shooting for 2 years before allowing them to hunt. Maybe your son needs more time practicing and target shooting before the urge to hunt sets in. My older son actually did not want to hunt because he did not want to clean the animal. He also doesn't like to clean fish. So, would I rather he hunt and fish with me and I'll clean his game or would I rather leave him at home and hunt with out him?

Cleaning his game is worth the time spent together.

Take a moment and find out why. Just be sure to not ridicule him make him feel stupid if it is a silly reason.
Old December 4, 2009, 10:48 PM   #56
flippycat

Scout, I agree on your handling also...but did have some thoughts cross my mind as well though in regards to your situation...

Even though it sounds like your an awesome dad...you maybe just too awesome for a 12 year old coming into his own and worrying about expectations going into the hunt.

I remember going into one of my first hunts with my father who outfitted me with knowledge and supplies for years prior to our first "real" hunt together. And I botched the shot(s) on purpose to avoid having to field dress because I thought my father would of been disappointed that I had forgotten a lot of what he had already taught me. I had watched him and friends field dress for years and had even done some of my own when I was trapping at an early age.

I think it was when it came down to the first real showtime and with me being center stage, that is when it hit me that I would maybe not shine like the grand wizard of the woods like my father seemed to be, a man I looked up to that made me think I was not prepared at all. Will I get the shakes, will I hit the bladder, what if I make a bad shot and ruin the meat those and dozens of other thoughts went through my head on that first hunt.

Knowing that the report of the first hunt would be thoroughly gone over by him and his friends over a case of Löwenbräu as well.

I guess I thought being judged on a "missed shot" was far better then being graded on a whole event.

You may want to take the pressure of the "first kill" in front of pops away and see if that sets him a little more at ease. See if he would rather just go along as a spotter or a little extra muscle on the carry out rather then inadvertently putting pressure on.

My third (irc) hunt with my father and his friends is when I bagged my first buck. I was alone at the far end of a hay field wheni took my shot and had my small buck at the roadside and field dressed when they came by about 2 hours later.
Old December 4, 2009, 10:51 PM   #57
firespectrum

Quote:
I bet when young men are required to do a two or three year hitch in the armed forces that interest in guns and hunting will pick back up.
I don't know about requiring it, but it certainly did the trick for me. I was raised in a household where water guns weren't allowed because my parents thought they'd make us violent. Well, I ended up joining the military and now I own several guns. Sometimes kids just take a different path

I think exposing him to it without making it mandatory will be the best thing you can do to prevent him from going completely the opposite direction when he hits his late teens and decides he hates you (or maybe that was just me).

But even as much as I enjoy it now, I'm from South Florida and if you asked me to go hunting during the day in Florida heat and humidity, I'd rather be playing X-box too. It should be starting to get cooler down there by now right?
Old December 9, 2009, 12:50 PM   #58
Scout

Well, by way of follow up...my 12 year old still hasn't expressed an interest in the hunt, but my 9 year old jumped out of nowhere and declared himself a hunter. I took him squirrel hunting once already and he had a great time. ( As did I.) Thanks again for all of your interesting thoughts and insights.
Old December 9, 2009, 12:55 PM   #59
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Scout, How many tree rats has he bagged? Did he help clean them up? How did they taste?
Brent
Old December 9, 2009, 01:55 PM   #60
Scout

He didn't shoot any yet...he was pretty good at spotting them, but a little slow on the trigger. I would give him a few moments to acquire and fire, but he'd lose them in the mean time, so I was shooting them with my .17M2 as they ran off. So, we're going a few more times this season and saving the squirrels for a big dinner in January. He's having a ball, though.