The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 29, 2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Super-Dave

Remington 877 nitro

I finally got a chance to hold Remington 877 Nitro yesterday at Gander Mountain.

I really liked it. Possibly an improvement over the Benelli nova/super nova.

I wisht they made them in shorter barrels like a 20" turkey barrel or even an 18" home defense barrel.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to make them with smaller barrels?

The thing looked like a tank and felt like one. It really seemed to be a rust free shotgun, designed for all weather conditions.

George Orwell
Old December 29, 2009, 01:11 PM   #2
TxGun

887, and yeah, I be interested in one too. Ugly, compared to my Wingmasters, but a maintenance free exterior is appealing. I'd like to see a 18 1/2"-20" tactical model.
Old December 29, 2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Wishoot

Held one at Gander Mountain yesterday. I doubt it will ever replace my beloved Wingmaster. Ugly isn't the word for this thing. However, it is light and seems put together pretty well. I'm looking forward to some field reports on this gun.
Old December 29, 2009, 09:22 PM   #4
nutty ned

The 887 field strips for cleaning very easy.
It is light and the recoil on the shoulder is easy enough for 3" shells, have not tried 3.5 shells.
However, I am having an issue getting slammed in my prominent cheek bone.
I'm expecting it to be a good brush gun, vice an auto loader that get debris in the action often through the channel for the bolt handle.
Old March 30, 2010, 09:13 PM   #5
NooYawkuh

The tactical has an 18-1/2" barrel. Ugly as sin but I haven't held one, so I don't know. Still I'm intrigued. Seems like you can feed it anything.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx
Old March 31, 2010, 09:42 AM   #6
Smitty in CT

2009 Clunker of the year

Here's a review form a writer.... One of the few bad reviews I've ever read from one of these guys....

http://www.randywakeman.com/ClunkerOf2009Award.htm

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old March 31, 2010, 10:24 AM   #7
zippy13

Yikes! I don't want to be anywhere near someone with those accidents waiting to happen. Based on Randy Wakeman's review, I'm surprised the OP, "really liked it."

Smitty, thanks for the review link. That's the worst report I've ever seen on any gun. Do you think Remington has saved a lot of production time and money by just skipping any QC?
Old March 31, 2010, 02:01 PM   #8
oneounceload

WOW is right Zippy. Randy's comments on SGW are always tempered and calm. Not this time. Glad all my Remingtons are a decade or three old from the "better days". They're starting to make Turkish guns look well-made!
Old March 31, 2010, 02:23 PM   #9
BigJimP

Wow ....another Remington product ...for them to be ashamed of ...

Its too bad / but kind of a sign of the times unfortunately ...
Old March 31, 2010, 04:41 PM   #10
zippy13

They're starting to make Turkish guns look well-made!
Sounds like the new Remington even makes the Norinco 北方工业 products look good. Do you know anyone in Canada, they're not subject to the US embargo and have have access to the Chinese I-37 and R-870 knock-offs.
Old April 1, 2010, 11:09 AM   #11
25fan

Four letter word describes this gun,,, "junk".
Old April 11, 2010, 07:09 PM   #12
OptimusGrime

To each his own....

I have an 887 and I have not yet had any issues with it...Took it out skeet shooting and put about 100 rounds through it with no issues. Shoulders easy and is easy to clean. Just my 2 cents...
Old April 25, 2010, 12:37 PM   #13
NooYawkuh

Quote:
I have an 887 and I have not yet had any issues with it...Took it out skeet shooting and put about 100 rounds through it with no issues. Shoulders easy and is easy to clean. Just my 2 cents...
Oh, so you actually own one and have fired it. Appears you also know the correct model number of the gun. Well, you have some nerve chiming in and ruining it for the rest of us who are just trying to jump to conclusions.
Old April 25, 2010, 06:06 PM   #14
rugerfreak

Has all the appeal of a 4x4 fence post--haven't shot one--but I've held them in the store---god awefull.
Old April 25, 2010, 07:26 PM   #15
jlv08

You don't have to go to Canada to get a decent pump. Check out the NEF site and there are several variations of the Pardner Pump that would appeal to most folks. Unless of course the "made in China " is an issue.

They are well made pump shotguns and you have to get one in your hands to see the quality built into the gun.

They are NOT cheaply made irrespective of what some have said here in this forum.
Old April 25, 2010, 07:48 PM   #16
the rifleer

I have heard less than spectacular things about them... I would most Definatly buy a nova over the 877.
Old April 6, 2011, 10:05 PM   #17
monsterbuck2

i actually like the 877 and was planning on buying one could any one give some advice about the gun?
Old April 7, 2011, 03:06 PM   #18
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Oh, so you actually own one and have fired it. Appears you also know the correct model number of the gun. Well, you have some nerve chiming in and ruining it for the rest of us who are just trying to jump to conclusions.
Old April 7, 2011, 03:47 PM   #19
Will Beararms

I fondled one and all I could think was why in the world would they market this top heavy polymer coated 2x4 when the 870 is gold?

It does not surprise me based on what I know versus what I have read about or heard in the barber shop.

Nothing from the green R will ever be found in my gun vault besides what is already there. I will buy foreign before I buy from Big Green.

I think 870's are good solid firearms but my issue is with corporate culture and there is no need to go any further.
Old April 7, 2011, 05:54 PM   #20
jmr40

Looks like the same guy who designed the Remington 710 designed the 887. The plastic coated barrel is awful. It adds to much to the barrel diameter. Looks like a piece of 1 1/2 water pipe instead of a shotgun barrel.

I cannot figure out how it is an improvement on anything.
Old April 8, 2011, 04:11 AM   #21
Rugerismisticness

NO, this gun is such trash, please don't buy one. The steel is junk, the plastic isn't molded well, the action is very rough, it's a mcdonalds toy. The Benelli nova/supernova are top of the line shotguns, compare them side by side.
Old April 8, 2011, 08:26 AM   #22
hargroderauto

I purchased the 887 in December 2010 for my son and it has been flawless. Thousands of rounds through it, been dropped in the mud and salt water. No signs of rust or wear. We shoot skeet on the weekends and this gun has never jammed or malfunctioned in any way. I understand the older guns had problems but this gun has taken doves, ducks, rabbits and squirrels without any problems. We have no problems with the plastic coating or the metal. I would question the negative posters to see if they ever shot or owned this gun. On a guided hunt in the marshes of Louisiana our guide uses an 887 that he leaves in his mud boat 24/7. He has never had any problems with his 887 either and only occasionally sprays the entire gun down with Remoil to make it look like new. The early production 887's may have had problems, but I would purchase the 887 again in a heartbeat.