The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 30, 2017, 06:00 AM   #1
BP_Fanatic

Loading Uberti Colt Dragoon with conicals

Friend of mine is considering the purchase of Uberti Dragoon revolver, but before purchasing he wants to know if this revolver can be loaded with Lee 450-200 bullets without removing the drum or without filing the loading gate bigger? As we don't have any Dragoons nearby do any of forum members know that?
Old August 30, 2017, 06:27 AM   #2
rodwhaincamo

Drum? Do you mean loading ram/plunger?

Uberti tends to make their repros much more properly so I'd think it would load easily enough. I'll reread that section

The 200 grn Lee RN is certainly used without reference to modifying. His is a 2004 model.
Old August 30, 2017, 09:12 AM   #3
BP_Fanatic

With "drum=cylinder" - I meant loading by removing the barrel and and drum/cylinder and loading it with loading press. But I guess the word of "cylinder" is more used in America. Sry

I know that Uberti Walker can't be loaded with Lee 450 conical without modification, but on the picture Dragoon seems to have more room there.

Thanks for the info.
Old August 30, 2017, 09:29 AM   #4
Hawg

If they can't be loaded in the Walker without mods there's no reason to expect them to load in a dragoon without mods. I would think they would be too small since .454 round balls pull back out of the chamber with the ram on my 3rd model Uberti.
Old August 30, 2017, 10:44 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I also think he means cylinder.

That said, fit of the projectile is crucial. It should leave a shaved ring when pressed all the way down. If it doesn't, you've too much play (and loss of accuracy).
Old August 30, 2017, 12:36 PM   #6
rodwhaincamo

Looking at pics side by side it appears as though there is more room due to the cylinder being a bit further back. It would likely depend on the length last the seating base.

Lee shows their 200 grn version to be .450" and their 220 grn version to be .456" in diameter. You'd need to check the diameter of the chamber to see if the .450" version will hold.

Actually a conical, with its longer driving bands, doesn't need to be oversized like a ball. Look at how Ruger states to use a .454" conical for their .453" chambers, or a .457" ball which needs to be oversized like that in order to create a driving band. Friction fit will hold it in place.
Old August 30, 2017, 02:51 PM   #7
Model12Win

If they don't quite fit you can use a Dremel tool to remove some metal from the frame and some cold blue to touch it up. Easy peasy melon squeezy sneezy.
Old August 30, 2017, 08:04 PM   #8
rodwhaincamo

It is rather easy. I bought one of those Dremel bits and used a drill. Take the cylinder and loading lever assembly off and use tape to cover over any openings. Then I cleaned it up with a file and sand paper. Took maybe 25 minutes on a Pietta Remington NMA and those need a lot removed.
Old August 30, 2017, 11:37 PM   #9
Hellgate

OK, I just ran downstairs and got my 3rd Model Dragoon and my cast LEE 200 gr conicals. Checking several (4, actually), I found that they all seated on the second driving band and were easily positioned to ram straight onto powder if needed. So, get the LEE 200 gr conical (not the 220 gr for Ruger Old Armies) and enjoy a great "thumper'.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old August 31, 2017, 04:26 AM   #10
BP_Fanatic

Hellgate, thank you.

As for using Dremel tool, although I haven't had all models of Pietta and Uberti revolvers in my hands, it seems that Uberti revolvers "eat" conicals better, while Pietta ones need modification. At least it was so with 1858 Remingtons and with Pietta Dance revolver.
Old August 31, 2017, 06:18 AM   #11
rodwhaincamo

That's my understanding as well with Uberti making a more authentic reproduction.