The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2015, 03:38 PM   #26
cw308

darkgael, uniforming primer pockets has everything to do with measurements. A uniformer cuts the pocket to the proper depth. How accurate is a slam fired round.
Old December 2, 2015, 04:04 PM   #27
F. Guffey

Quote:
I assume you are going in with a reamer to get a standard diameter.
The primer pocket uniformer only cuts depth, I have used them on crimped primer pockets, but it makes for some tight primers.

then there is that part about folding the flash hole, the flash hole has equal pressure on both sides, meaning the flash hole will increase in diameter and the case head can crush. There are a few reloaders that uniform the diameter of the flash hole.

I have a friend that had a problem with his award winning 45 ACP. He allowed the slide to slam shut, it opened and closed again etc. He called another friend, he chambered one round, same thing. It was way past time to clean the pistol, the firing pin was stuck. And yes, he had holes in the roof.

F. Guffey
Old December 2, 2015, 05:29 PM   #28
darkgael

Sizing

CW: Agreed...slam fired cartridges are not going to be very accurate. Unless, however, you are loading for a Garand, the slamfire danger is virtually non-existent.
Your original comment referred to "sizing measurements". My response was written using the same term. Somehow the "sizing"part got left out in your post #26. There are a number of important measurements and adjustments that need to be considered when sizing a case....primer pocket depth is not one of them.

Last edited by darkgael; December 2, 2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old December 2, 2015, 09:30 PM   #29
Gunplummer

First I ever heard of it. Something new every day.
Old December 2, 2015, 10:10 PM   #30
4runnerman

Just my 2 cents here. There was some tests ( studies ) done on primer pockets. Tests showed that clean ( New look ) primer pockets when seated with primer did have more gas leak between primer and case then primer pockets that were left dirty. Reason being, the Carbon build up helps seal the primer tighter in pocket forcing all gas ( explosion ) through Flash hole. While Accuracy tests were never done, MV test were- MV in un cleaned primer pockets was much better.
Most benchrest shooters do NOT ream primer pockets other then when brand new brass is purchased just to uniform them, Flip side is, Most Benchrest shooters only shoot there brass very few times before it is replaced with new brass. I have 6BR brass that is going on 28 times reloaded now. Reamed pockets when brand new, Have not since then. primers still seat fine to right depth.

Last edited by 4runnerman; December 2, 2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old December 2, 2015, 11:34 PM   #31
cw308

I uniformed my pockets every firing , after getting a post from 4runnerman I only uniform the case once. Thanks again 4runnerman. Made perfect sense.
Old December 3, 2015, 09:44 PM   #32
4runnerman

CW308- Your Welcome, but take what I say along with everyone else with a grain of salt. I just spend a lot of time reading and reading. At my age it keeps my mind going. I have read a million things and tried them all. I keep what seems to work and forget the rest. I think I have OCD sometimes ( ok well most of the time). I am never happy with what I shoot no matter how good it is. I keep trying to outdo the last load or make the target smaller or farther away. It never ends, but I also can say it never gets boring either. I shoot to much, and I spend to much on reloading. Heck I got my 6BR 3 years ago and I have 3 barrels shot out in the reloading room already.
Old December 3, 2015, 11:42 PM   #33
cw308

I never thought I had a twin, 4runnerman.