The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2016, 12:09 PM   #1
Txbonecollector75

Factory ammo

I ran into a problem with a companies ammo causing to high of pressure, because the case was not trimmed to proper length causing it to jam into the neck part of my chamber, and what seems to be way to much bullet and primer sealer. The ammo came from AGUILA 5.56x45, when I used my bullet puller to take the ammo apart and weight the powder charges they were within a couple of grains of each other the lowest being 27.8gr and the highest being 29gr of powder, the powder looks exactly like H335.

My question is can I use the factory ammo powder and just reduce the charge to a charge an everyday reloader would use, or just dispose of the factory ammo powder and truly use H335 and its load data, and just reuse the case,primer, and bullet?
Old August 16, 2016, 12:42 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...powder looks exactly like..." You can't tell anything about a powder other than its colour by just looking at it.
"...case was not trimmed to proper..." Highly unlikely, but how long are they? Max is 1.760"(SAAMI tolerance is -.030". Trim to is 1.750". Anywhere between 1.750" and 1.760" is ok.
"...use the factory ammo powder and just reduce the charge..." No. You have no idea what that powder is. No ammo maker publishes what they use as they don't always use the same powder. The manufacturers load for a specific velocity, but they use powders reloaders cannot get.
"...27.8gr and the highest being 29gr..." Absolutely not H335 with those weights. 27.8 is waaaay over max for a 55 and a 62 grain bullet.
"...just reuse the case, primer and bullet?..." That you can do. You will have to at least neck size the case though. You can FL resize too, by just taking the decapping pin out.
Old August 16, 2016, 01:09 PM   #3
Txbonecollector75

Ok, I did resize it with my small base dies. But when I measured all 40 cases the shortest case length was 1.762" and the longest case was 1.7685". But thank you for the reassurance to just dispose of their factory powder. I originally fired 10 rounds through my Diamondback AR-15 and I knew it was building up a lot of pressure because it was tearing up the head of the case, flattening the primers, and on the last round it blowed the primer out of the primer pocket and etched my bolt face. Do you know anything about aguila 5.56x45mm ammo like what cases they use because I can see they used crimped primers but not sure the maker of the brass. Because all it says on the head of the case is " AGUILA 5.56 16 ".
Old August 16, 2016, 02:04 PM   #4
nhyrum

Best and safest bet is to toss the powder, like already started. Since you're at it I'd trim and do the whole 9 yards, assuming you're using brass and not steel cases. Just no wet tumbling with primers in there

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old August 16, 2016, 02:31 PM   #5
Txbonecollector75

Yes I'm going to do the whole nine yards except for wet tumbling, I'm about to trim the brass, and have already used a case mouth brush once but after I trim. I'm not gonna use any of the bullet sealer. But I'm going to start low and work the loads up just to find which gives the best grouping.
Old August 16, 2016, 03:23 PM   #6
Chainsaw.

Ive only shot aquila .22 so I cant speak exactly to the experience of shooting 223, BUT shooting said 22 was seriously disappointing. It was very inconsistent, some rounds sounded like they barley reached the muzzle while others felt like they were beyond max charge. Accuracy was so bad it wasnt even funny. Ill never buy the brand again.
Old August 16, 2016, 04:33 PM   #7
AbeNormal

From the Aguila web site...

Aguila Ammunition is manufactured in Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico, by Industrias Tecnos, S.A. de C.V. Tecnos

Need any more be said about Aguila "quality"?

Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
Scarecrow: I don't know...but some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?
Old August 16, 2016, 05:08 PM   #8
MarkCO

We have been shooting Aguila ammo in .223Rem, 55 FMJ for American Marksman. It is very consistent in weight, powder charge and prints 1 MOA at 100 yards. It is some of the best 55 FMJ I have seen or used. Yeah, we have only shot about 17K of it so far.

The 5.56x45 is listed as 62 grain and based on the load specs, it is a 5.56 Nato load, which is not going to be happy in a .223Rem chamber. It will be overpressure for sure. Is your chamber .223Rem or 5.56Nato?

9mm 124g FMJ, about 40K so far.
Old August 16, 2016, 05:35 PM   #9
Mike38

I use Aguila .22LR sub sonic for practice in my Bullseye pistols. Very good performance, accurate enough for practice ammo.

With that said, a difference of 1.2 grains of powder in 5.56 is way way too much. You got a bad lot.
Old August 16, 2016, 08:26 PM   #10
evtSmtx

As Abe said above "mexican ammo". Same applies to russian
Old August 16, 2016, 08:33 PM   #11
Mobuck

"I use Aguila .22LR sub sonic for practice in my Bullseye pistols. Very good performance, accurate enough for practice ammo. "

Aguila sub-sonic is the most accurate ammo in my muffled 10-22 and at the top of the list in the 22/45, too.
Old August 22, 2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Txbonecollector75

My diamondback AR-15 is chambered for 5.56 NATO! My brother in law brung me what was left of his aguila ammo after he had high pressure signs and I pulled the bullets and weighted the charges they ranged from
28.1gr - 29.9 grs. If I only got a bad lot then ok but for my brother in law to buy the same kind of ammo at a different store, a month and a half a part from me buying it, that's more than one bad lot. Now aguila won't return my calls or return my emails because I proved their ammo was bad, by taking pictures of the lot number, the individual bullets, and their case/bullets/ and powder charges, how much they weighted on a regular scale and a digital scale. Also took pictures of the cases that blew the primers and how it etched my bolt, it had so much pressure I had blow by around my gas tube. If your shooting aguila 5.56x45mm and having good luck with it then great, but some day it may over pressure your gun! And another way I know it's bad ammo is our local sheriffs department ordered 5,500 rounds from another store and then returned 4,900 rounds because it was blowing the primers and getting stuck under their trigger assembly not letting the fire their rifles.