The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2023, 07:39 PM   #1
alanwk

Brass Smith Powder Measure by Lyman

Your thoughts about this powder measure please. Thank you
Alan
Old December 2, 2023, 09:59 PM   #2
Marco Califo

If it does not measure and weigh powder automatically, then I will stick with my RCBS Charge Master Combo.
I do have a Lyman #55. I haven't used any powder measure (and scale) else since I got the RCBS CMC.
Old December 3, 2023, 12:06 PM   #3
rc

I just took a look at Amazon to see what you were asking about. Wasn't sure if it was a brass measure for black powder. Looks to be a typical cast iron unit. It would certainly be better than your Lee measure but doesn't have the raised stand like you can find with a used RCBS uniflow with patience. I bought a set of 32-20 dies that were Lyman and sent them back due to workmanship and the fact they didn't have the flat nose seater and 313 expander. They were set up to load for 308 pointy bullets from a single shot contender and I wanted to load lever action ammo. I bought RCBS cowboy dies to replace them and they were much smoother without all the leftover mettle shavings from machining on the threads of the die body. They also came equipped with expander and seater that I wanted. Once you break in that cast measure it should be fine but I recommend RCBS because of my past experiences with other brands. What's the Lyman warranty policy?