The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 9, 2010, 05:34 PM   #1
spacecoast

Why does .380 brass get so beat up?

Just something I noticed in comparing my .380 brass with 9mm and .45 ACP. Most of my pieces of .380 brass have some kind of nick or gouge in the rim, some in multiple places, which I have to assume is from the action of the extractor pulling the brass after ignition. Very few if any pieces of 9mm and .45 ACP have this same "feature". Even though I'll continue to use it, I have to believe it will lead to a greater probability of extraction or feed problems.

Possible explanations?
  • machined (not hinged) extractors on the lightweight carry pistols are harder on the brass?
  • some inherent feature of the .380 ACP? A lighter weight rim?
  • lots of reuse of .380 brass? (and not much of the others by comparison)?

Last edited by spacecoast; May 9, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old May 9, 2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Xfire68

My PPKS is super hard on the brass! I just bought some new Winchester brass at Cabelas and after one firing they look as bad as the brass I loaded up 3 times already! I don't like it as the "Once Fired" .380 brass cost 3x that of 9mm (Which does not get chewed up as much in the guns I have been shooting).

I need more .380 BRASS!!!!!! Lots more!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 9, 2010, 08:58 PM   #3
chris in va

Could be many 380's are blowback in operation. IIRC.
Old May 9, 2010, 09:41 PM   #4
Coffeeshop123

It also depends on your pistol and where you are shooting. For example, if you're close to a brick wall, cases can be ejected and thrown against the wall with sufficient force to damage them. I saw a cool thread a couple of years ago, with pictures...The guy said he was shooting at an indoor range and heard a funny "pop"; looked down and saw a mess on the table in front of him. He figured that one of the ejected cases had bounced off of the wall next to him and was thrown downward...it happened to hit the primer of one of the rounds in the tray hard enough that the round detonated. Nobody was hurt, and he posted a photo of the case from the second round with the crescent-shaped mark where the rim of the first case had hit; also a photo of the now-broken styrofoam tray from the box of ammo he was using.

Or, the casing can be damaged by contacting the slide as it's ejected or damaged by the extractor itself. I've never owned a .380 but each firearm has its own little quirks.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:41 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

I'm definitely a believe in circumstance.

The gun and the shooting conditions effect brass condition more than anything else.

My .380 brass looks as good coming out of the pistol, as it did going in. But... my pistol is easy on brass and I shoot in grassy areas in the desert. It gives the brass a nice bed to come to rest in, without getting dinged up (or damaged, if stepped on).

How hot you load can cause excessive wear, as well. If you're loading super hot, the slide will slam forward harder on some pistols (causing extra stress for rim snap-over, and beating the case head a bit more), and ejection can cause unwanted outcomes. Some loads will have the slide pulling on the rim before the case has released from the chamber walls... so, the rim suffers. Hot loads can also cause violent ejection, that dings the brass by flipping it too hard - back into the slide.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:45 AM   #6
Xfire68

Well in my case I am not doing either one? I am loading low end jacketed loads because I have been using "Plated" bullets and I have to keep the FPS down. I have also replaced the factory recoil spring with a 17Lbs "reduced load" spring. I to shot in a grassy area up here in the Midwest where the grass is dark green and thick right now. It's soo thick that I have trouble finding about 1/3 of my brass each time I going shooting! SOB!

There is only one thing left and it's my Walther! It loves to hate my brass!
Old May 11, 2010, 08:45 AM   #7
Sevens

I'm not sure which scenario is harder for me to imagine: A piece of ejected brass that actually detonates a loaded round in a tray of ammo... or ... a grassy area in a desert.

Just funnin'... no bunched panties, please.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:50 AM   #8
ZeSpectre

Hey, at least you can FIND your brass. My .380 either becomes lighter than air and wafts up into the atmosphere, or somehow magically transforms into 9mm brass when it bounces off the ground because somehow I can never even find about half of my brass
Old May 11, 2010, 02:37 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I'm not sure which scenario is harder for me to imagine: A piece of ejected brass that actually detonates a loaded round in a tray of ammo... or ... a grassy area in a desert.

Just funnin'... no bunched panties, please.
I didn't say it was alive.

Grows in the spring and fall... dead the rest of the year. But still grass.
Old May 11, 2010, 05:04 PM   #10
dcody40

Can't find my stinking brass !

I had that problem once until I found a method of detecting the little buggers down in the grass, use your foot, and some soft soled tennis shoes, you can find the bumps with your foot, You'd be surprised how sensitive you feet are to bumps in the grass that don't normally have bumps lol. Did I say bumps enough, works for me, I used to raid our Police range while on a quiet patrol night, even with my boots on, I could find brass hiding down there somwhere, just don't stomp the little buggers. I normally left each search period with a whole cargo pocket of brass for my collection.
Now for a funny (free of charges) while all by myself with my maglight, digging for brass in our boonie range, a deer did what deer do when they are looking for some action, if you know what a deer mating call sounds like at night about 50 feet behind me, I almost had a heart attack !. And not knowing exactly what that was at that exact moment, I was ready to start shooting, I'm so glad nobody was around watching my reaction, I could have won some money for the funny !.. I went back to work after my blood pressure returned to earth.

Enjoy !

Duane USN/Ret