The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 1999, 12:23 PM   #1
45 Fan

Hi guys:
I am thinking about purchasing a chronograph and would like any input from the group. I primarily load for pistol and was wondering if a chrono is as useful for pistol as it is for rifle? Can anyone recommend a decent brand? I have been looking at the Pact and CED Millenium. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.......45 Fan
Old August 17, 1999, 06:36 PM   #2
swifter...

45 Fan,
I have two, the one I use is a PACT Professional. It works well, and I have had good luck with their customer service.

The one I don't use is a Chrony. I paid my buddy for it after I shot it, he gave it to me for Xmas - on a "Trophy mount". It hangs on my wall...
Lesson: Avoid chronographs with their brains in front of the muzzle!

------------------
The Bill of Rights, and the Golden Rule are enough for civilized behavior. The rest is window dressing. Shoot carefully, swifter...

Old August 17, 1999, 08:03 PM   #3
Patrick Graham

F1 Crony.. $69 at Midway.. Works great.
Old August 18, 1999, 07:14 AM   #4
bfoster

It really depends on your objective in purchasing a chronograph. If the instrument is for occasional use, I'd see little reason to invest a lot of cash. The PACT unit mentioned above or the cheaper PACT unit work pretty well (they are a bit sensitive to the position of the sun- sometimes shooting at 90 degrees to your first setup will help). If you are going to use the unit a lot perhaps the Oehler 35 would be a better value. The screens on this model are the best I have seen on the non-industrial market. If you want to check pressure as well as velocity, the Oehler 43 works amazingly well, and the ability to store all of your data on the computer has really helped me. The 43's new software allows transfer of data to Excel and other spreadsheets for further analysis.
Old August 18, 1999, 03:09 PM   #5
Paul B.

I have the F-1 Chrony. Works real good, but is very sun sensitive. The sunshades are a must, although they don't hold up worth a damn. Mine have gobs of masking tape holding them together. Still all in all, I like it.
Paul B.
Old August 19, 1999, 10:03 AM   #6
Clint Tickler

I have the Chrony Master Beta which stores 3 strings of 10 shots each and uses a remote display. I've been using it steady for a yeay+ now and have had o problems.Paid about 130 so pretty good value I'd say. Has option for computer interface but haven't used it.
I try real hard not to shoot the dang thing and so far no problem but set up about 8' away. Maybe the guy who shot his was trying to see velocity downrange further? I haven't had to add any tape to the sunscreens that come with it either.
Old August 19, 1999, 10:04 AM   #7
Clint Tickler

Correction. The master beta chrony stores 6 strings of 10shots each. Not 3 as I mistakingly said.
Old August 19, 1999, 08:33 PM   #8
Grayfox

I use the plain Pact Model 1. Not real expensive and works very well. Gives all the info I can possibly use. If you watch Midway, they occasionally put them on sale throwing in the skyscreen mounting bar free.

I don't like the Chrony. A friend has one and its real bad about giving "ERROR" readings. He'd get rid off it if he could, nobody's interested.
Old August 19, 1999, 10:07 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

I'm with Grayfox on the Pact Model 1. I bought the deal from Midway he talked about and have been very satisfied with it. I don't do a lot of chronographing so I don't really miss the bells and whistles that are on the higher priced models. Perhaps a printer would be nice, but I learned to write with pencil and paper a long time ago and it hasn't failed me yet. A couple of days ago I even chrono'ed an air pistol (actually CO2). The pellet speed was 5 fps off what the manufacturer said it should be with a fresh cartridge, not bad for accuracy.
Old August 20, 1999, 08:11 PM   #10
GreybeardB

If cost is not a problem then get an Ohler or PACT. For anything less than industrial use,a Chrony Delta works fine,costs less & service is ok too. It stores up to 30 shots,reads out Hi&Lo shots & averages the string whether 2 or 30. And the read-out sits on your bench on a 25 ft.cord. The timming sensors of course, sit under the sky screens & are vulnerable to any"shot below the knees". A 3/8 in. piece of plate steel is good insurance against a bad shot. I know, I destroyed my F-1 with a 12ga. low blow. Sent it to Chrony & they made me a super exchange deal on the Delta.
I leave it set up & stored with the light defusers in but, had to glue them in place...they will get knocked loose.

------------------
Ralph in In.

Old August 24, 1999, 10:48 PM   #11
Big Bunny

Agree over the basic F1 Chrony and feel it is an excellent unit capable of upgrading to top specs, but costs $155AUD here in OZ (!) I use drinking straws on an overcast day and no screens, as an insurance against rod damage!
No problem with the "self-disassembling screens" as I always pack them up into the carry-box when finished (two sized..shotgun/rifle screens supplied here as standard equipment.)
Be careful you are back the required distance, as muzzle blast is not bullet velocity(Neither is wad speed).

------------------
***Big Bunny***