The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 4, 2018, 02:38 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

Optic choice

I have been taking a close look at the SWFA 1-4X32 and the old gen. Vortex Viper PST 1-4X32. I was considering the Strike Eagle in 1-6X, but thought that I probably wouldn't really need the extra 2x with my shooting needs, and the glass clarity is much better in the SWFA and PST. Did a bunch of research and I kinda wish I had bought the Viper when companies were wanting to get rid of the old stock around last Black Friday...299 I think is what Palmetto or Primary were charging...oh well. Plus, a little extra weight shaved with the 1-4X may be a good idea.

Regardless, I know that Vortex's gen 2 in 1-6X in the Viper would probably be good, but I can't really afford the extra 200 bones yet and I like the reticle on the older gen. Viper and the exposed turrets better.

So, I'm really considering the SWFA and old PST. Can't go wrong with either? Just flip a coin?

Thanks for recommendations.
Old March 4, 2018, 02:58 PM   #2
ks_wayward_son

Another option I just ran into was the Steiner PXi 1-4x...so I guess there's 3 options now.

Also, it looks like there's some pretty decent rebates/promotions going on with Steiner. Get 10% back if buying before April 30 plus Sportsmans Guide or other sites always have codes to reduce cost too. I might go this route.

Last edited by ks_wayward_son; March 4, 2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old March 4, 2018, 03:38 PM   #3
ks_wayward_son

Dang...look at this deal.

https://www.dvor.com/steiner-1-4x24m...iflescope.html

Are these guys legit?!!
Old March 4, 2018, 04:29 PM   #4
marine6680

Check out the Primary Arms 1-6x... The extra 2x can be handy at ranges past 200-300yds. Inside that, up to you if you want the zoom or not.

I like their ACSS reticle... And you can get the PA 1-6x for just under $300... They also offer discounted mounts if you buy them together.

I generally avoid the 1-8x as they jump in weight significantly unless you want to pay a lot of money.

There are reasonably priced 1-6x in a good weight, generally around 16oz.

From what I gather, the PST, SWFA, and PA all have similar glass quality... Which is pretty good, with only minor distortion.

My PST was almost as good optically as my Trijicon accupower... Very close... And the Trijicon cost a few hundred more.

But I like the reticle on the Trijicon best of all the options listed, but it does come at a higher price.

The ACSS reticle is a second place reticle design.

I find an accurate BDC reticle to be better suited for. Low power variable than a mil or moa grid reticle.

Last edited by marine6680; March 4, 2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old March 4, 2018, 04:52 PM   #5
ks_wayward_son

Thanks for the suggestions, Marine.

After much deliberation, I went ahead and ordered the Steiner through DVOR. I like the minimalist reticle with a single red dot. Everybody else wants around 580+ for the optic, but with the rebate and deal that DVOR is offering, the scope is only gonna be around 350. I think instead of getting the Aero lightweight mount I will go with a beefier setup such as the Burris PEPR, Primary Arms mount, or something similar.

I read some reviews on DVOR to make sure they are for real. It turns out they are affiliated with Optics Planet. Hopefully this will be a good optic for my needs at what would seem like a steal.
Old March 4, 2018, 07:50 PM   #6
marine6680

You saved that much... Get an American Defense mount. Well made, you can tell the difference. Or a Midwest Ind mount.

The PEPR and others are decent for the money though.

Make sure you get a version with two mounting lugs/screws/levers. Some have just the one, and I don't trust those with anything bigger than a light scout scope.

Last edited by marine6680; March 4, 2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old March 5, 2018, 06:32 AM   #7
ks_wayward_son

I dont think Im really looking for a QD mount. I might have offset iron sights. Can you recommend a good fixed mount?
Old March 5, 2018, 09:45 AM   #8
marine6680

I think AMD and Midwest both offer a standard mount. Well made without getting into crazy expensive mounts.

Larue also offers a very good standard mount.

SWFA and Primary Arms also have them, if you are looking to save a bit.. I have a SWFA mount, and I think it is better overall than the PEPR. Not a huge margin, but it feels better subjectively. I like the more matte finish of the anodizing better.
Old March 13, 2018, 07:32 PM   #9
michaelc246

I'm a fan of the Primary Arms 1-6... I really like the ACSS reticle and the glass on mine has been pretty decent. Especially for under 300 bucks.
Old March 15, 2018, 10:55 AM   #10
G.barnes

One difference between the cheaper scopes and more expensive ones are a true 1x. I had a vortex strike eagle and its not a true 1x. More like 1.3. If your doing all your shooting with one eye closed it doesn't make a difference but if you have two eyes open it will mess with your vision.