The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2018, 08:43 PM   #1
ReloadKy

243 reloading post results in buck down

I do not really know if this post belongs here but the people that responded to my question are usually the ones I see posting on here. A few months ago I posted a question about which 243 bullets to reload for my wife to deer hunt with. After a lot of reading on this forum I went with the Hornady 95 gr SST. Fast forward to last Saturday night. My wife and I sat down in a ground blind and a literally 30 minutes later a 9 pt buck came out chasing a doe into our food plot. She dropped him in his tracks, for her first deer ever!! She was pumped and I was ecstatic. Thanks for all of the recommendations to the previous post. It has resulted in my wife now being a new life long hunter.
Old November 15, 2018, 08:59 PM   #2
reynolds357

Congratulations. Now, to be honest, there are about 40 bullets you could have loaded and had the same results.
Old November 16, 2018, 08:53 AM   #3
reinert

The 87 grn. Hornady S.P. in my 6MM Rem. (my ".243" of choice) has been a proven bullet time, and time, and time again on deer and antelope, as it has for many hunters long before I ever started reloading ammo. That was the first caliber I ever started reloading for back in the early 80's. Up until very recently, I've always used IMR 4350 for propellent in my 6MM, but have found Varget to be good stuff, too. The bullet will always be the 87 grainer by Hornady, though. No need to try anything else AFAIC. Congrats to your wife! Indeed!

There's a saying here in Wyoming; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." That saying could well be used for tried and true hunting handloads, too...
Old November 16, 2018, 02:28 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

So given that deer are best hung for about a week before butchering and adding a couple days for you or your butcher to cut it up and him being closed, dinner's what, 1 December? snicker.
Old November 16, 2018, 05:51 PM   #5
Panfisher

Yep, plenty of bullets would do the samething. My wife has fired 3 rounds this season out of her .243. And 3 dead deer. The first one was a big old bruiser, teeth worn down, one eye gone etc. Her light loaded 100 grain Hornady Interlock punched some of both shoulders and 50.5 grains of it came to rest under the hide. Only the second of hers I have recovered. Am seriously wanting to change bullets because, well why not. Thinking about making a major change. To the tipped Hornady Interlock, I have been loading the old ones for 18 years now for her, getting bored with the same results. Hear the distinctive POW, then within a few minutes I get a text telling me where to drive the tractor to. Almost always the same scenario she deer jumps/kicks and makes a dead run for about 40 to 50 yards before piling up. I don't have a walk in coole and hanging one around here for very long would result in a wasted deer. Mine are bones out and in the freezer within 24 hrs.
Old November 16, 2018, 07:03 PM   #6
YARDDOG(1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfisher View Post
Yep, plenty of bullets would do the samething. My wife has fired 3 rounds this season out of her .243. And 3 dead deer. The first one was a big old bruiser, teeth worn down, one eye gone etc. Her light loaded 100 grain Hornady Interlock punched some of both shoulders and 50.5 grains of it came to rest under the hide. Only the second of hers I have recovered. Am seriously wanting to change bullets because, well why not. Thinking about making a major change. To the tipped Hornady Interlock, I have been loading the old ones for 18 years now for her, getting bored with the same results. Hear the distinctive POW, then within a few minutes I get a text telling me where to drive the tractor to. Almost always the same scenario she deer jumps/kicks and makes a dead run for about 40 to 50 yards before piling up. I don't have a walk in coole and hanging one around here for very long would result in a wasted deer. Mine are bones out and in the freezer within 24 hrs.
I put mine in coolers & ice for 3-4 days ; )
Y/D
Old November 16, 2018, 08:02 PM   #7
gw44

I use 100gr interlock also, bang flop dead deer !!!!
Old November 18, 2018, 08:55 AM   #8
std7mag

Congratulations to you and the Mrs.!!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 18, 2018, 03:26 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. We are happy to learn your research here proved fruitful. It appears some of the other members didn't understand your research has been concluded, however, their suggestions may be kept in mind should you ever run into a shortage of the 95-grain SST's. Do give your wife our collective welcome to the club.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 20, 2018, 10:35 PM   #10
ReloadKy

Thanks Unclenick for your thoughtful response.