The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 23, 2006, 06:10 PM   #1
triggerhappy2006

South Africa Hunting Trip

Hey all August 18 I leave to go to south africa for a week hunting with some friends. I'll be shooting a Caracal, Black-backed Jackal, and possibly an Impala or Warthog. I'll be using a 7mm rm. If anyone has any advice for me id love to hear it.
Old April 23, 2006, 06:35 PM   #2
charlie in md

one little tidbit. Take about $50 in one's; around the airport you can get help with bags and equipment for tips.
Old April 23, 2006, 09:43 PM   #3
PSE

keep your rifle handy when squating in the bush.
Old April 24, 2006, 04:38 PM   #4
Dre_sa

im from south africa!

Depending on where you go, the bush in africa is quiet dense, so be prepared to get close to your target. also dont hunt from the back of a truck, nothing is better than walking through the bush with your rifle, your tracker should be able to keep you clear of bigger (more dangerous) game, they should know where they like to run around.
also be prepared for long waits at the airport, you might be lucky and get through without a problem, but expect the process to take a while (stupid laws here)
also take a camera and lots of film or batteries, theres lots of beautiful scenery to take advantage of in that respect.
Otherwise enjoy your trip here! hope all goes smoothly
Old April 25, 2006, 08:15 AM   #5
PSE

my buddy got screwed up because his assistant who was taking care of the rifle paperwork didnt do what needed doing and the rifles go siezed when SAA landed. he had to use a remington 7600 in 30-06 all trip. he said the bullets were to long and he had to force chamber them by racking the thing hollywood style.
Old April 25, 2006, 05:21 PM   #6
rlt620

Hunting In Africa

I was hunting in South Africa last May/June and we had a fantastic time. Had a little problem at the airport with our firearms, but it was quickly sorted-out when we gave the person in charge a box of Red Vine licorice ? take some along just to be safe. Also, it is critical (if you want to bring in guns) that you have an outfitter submit the proper paper work and you complete the required multi-paged forms (have them with you when you land) ? get on the web and look-up SA firearms rules and regs, it explains everything.

We hunted near Mokopane (formerly Potgietersrus) and had great success. We ended up shooting a variety of animals -- 23 in all -- to include: Waterbuck, Impala, Blesbusk, Kudo, Zebra, Warthog, and Wildebeast ? not to mention all the other game we saw. We all tried to wack a baboon (boe boe as they are called) but they are very smart and crafty ? you?ll hear them though, I guarantee!! Bring some cigars for your trackers. After a day of hunting, if you're at a lapa, they (as did we, too) like to sit around a have a beer and cigar ? their tracking skills will impress you.

We also traveled up to an area near Hoedspruit (pronounced- hood spray). If you haven?t made all your lodging reservations, check out www.pezulu.co.za . The owner, West Matheson, and his wife, Gill, run it and it was unbelievable. You'll live in tree houses and there are all sorts of game on the property. West, unlike his wife, is a little crazy (in a good way) and will make sure you see things ?up close and personal?. We chased (on foot) two adult female white rhinos and a calf through the jungle ? had there been a male rhino around, I wouldn?t be writing this. West also has other special ?things? that he does for his guests, but I?ll let you enjoy the surprise(s) if you make it up there.

The South African people are very friendly and hospitable. I am going back in 2008 with a planned jaunt over to Mozambique. Let us know how it goes.

RT