The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 31, 2023, 09:23 AM   #26
taylorce1

This is the best price I've seen recently on an AR-15, it's an Anderson at KYGUNCO. This will get you started and another $50 will get you an Ambi safety to install, and Amazon for MBUS for $30. This will get you back into the AR game, and after you shoot for awhile you can decide on what you do and don't like. Then you can upgrade from there.
Old December 31, 2023, 09:41 AM   #27
ocharry

if you are not in a giant size hurry...shot show is coming up in a month or two and everybody has good sales and deals on stuff

uppers and lowers and whole rifles

just a thought..

my grandpaw told me if you dont get in a hurry and take your time you can find a good deal on what you are looking for...it has always worked out for me

my .02

ocharry
Old December 31, 2023, 09:50 AM   #28
Wag

I'm no expert but I suggest you buy rather than build, especially for your first one. Then, if you care to modify it, you can do it one step at a time at your leisure.

The Rugers and the M&P's are both very good AR's.

--Wag--
Old December 31, 2023, 10:12 AM   #29
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharry View Post
if you are not in a giant size hurry...shot show is coming up in a month or two and everybody has good sales and deals on stuff
In 3 weeks. But SHOT has little to no impact on retail gun sale prices. They have been clamping down on the consumer side trying to return it back to the industry centric show it is supposed to be.
Old January 1, 2024, 10:14 AM   #30
NEPrepper

i would build your own. if you must buy a prebuilt, i would probably get a Colt
Old January 1, 2024, 11:11 AM   #31
Sarge

About a year ago, I ordered the basic M4 pattern optics-ready Anderson from KYGun' just under $400 shipped. I shot it a couple of month before I started buying extras. I'm an iron sight guy, so I sprung for Troys. They've been flipped up and down a dozen times and still print in the middle of a 300 yard plate. I eventually added an A2 stock and Rock River two stage trigger.

The rifle itself is about 1.5 MOA with PMC 55 grain soft point, the only load I shoot in it. I'm between 400-500 rounds of the stuff and I've cleaned it once. The rifle has never jammed.

ETA: Image was a little large, so I'll add a link

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/wp-...829_171754.jpg

Last edited by Sarge; January 1, 2024 at 11:16 AM.
Old January 1, 2024, 03:49 PM   #32
FITASC

Nice, Sarge!
And again, thanks to all for the info - got some research to do!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 1, 2024, 05:09 PM   #33
FrankenMauser

I have two different sets of Yankee Hill (YHM) flip-up sights -- one old style, with gas block flip-up front sight; and one new style, with both rail mounted.
They are folded down after every range session, and every time the firearms get cased.

Both are repeatable enough for the jobs they need to do (very repeatable, but they're being operated by a Mk I eyeball). Folding keeps them from snagging on things during transport or when being uncased; or for long periods with the firearm slung across my back.

People, including members here, used to give me crap about the folding sights and "trying to be tacticool."
But I've been seeing more and more builds with 'unwarranted' folding sights (not being used as BUIS) in the last 5 years. With that, there has been a notable reduction in the "tacticool" insults.
Strange how that works. Use a product for a genuine, specific purpose, even if it gets negative attention for mere appearance and connotation, and other people start also realizing, "Hey, that might be what I need, even if I have to listen to some idiots running their mouths."
Old January 1, 2024, 08:00 PM   #34
Sarge

I have discovered that perusing the various accessories, uppers etc. for the AR15 has its perils. You start thinking this or that would he handy, it'll save the Armalite furniture they only made 24 sets of that year, a 450 Bushmaster sounds neat because Alaska-Bears-the Mastodon might make a comeback yadda yadda.

It seems the only sensible thing to do is throw away the cleaning kit and shove a hundred bucks in the butt compartment every time you're tempted to order a gizmo. Open it up only to buy ammo. I probably won't do that, but it sure sounds noble to say it.
Old January 1, 2024, 08:16 PM   #35
rickyrick

Don't laugh - Qs about an AR to buy

I think flip up sights are a viable option and are often cheaper than the ole carry handles.
On ARs meant for less than 100yds I actually have a liking for old Weaver 1x scopes, but it’s getting harder to find those that haven’t started to turn cloudy.
On the AR that I posted above I’m running a Diamond(something) flip up, I forgot the actual name of it and it works just fine.

Edit:

This 6.8 ugly monstrosity is the latest gun wearing a weaver 1x, I dunno, I just like them on ARs.

Old January 1, 2024, 10:07 PM   #36
stagpanther

Quote:
On the AR that I posted above I’m running a Diamond(something) flip up, I forgot the actual name of it and it works just fine.
Sounds like Diamondhead--they made great gear IMO, I bought lots of their stuff, but they unfortunately went out of business.
Old January 3, 2024, 08:20 PM   #37
Captains1911

So you want something that is “SHTF reliable,” but you don’t want to pay for it. I’m confused.
Old January 3, 2024, 09:24 PM   #38
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Yes, that's me - last AR I owned was 30 years ago; went to my youngest over 20 years ago. My screen name is an international org for sporting clays, so that is where my knowledge lies.

So I am in the market for dependable SHTF level AR - I am NOT going to drop over $1K (but up to that is OK); I am LH so an ambi safety is a must. I am not interested in building one from parts as I can't cut a straight line with a chop saw (a man has to know his limitations)

Saw some from PSA that might do, but there are SO many folks making these now, I thought I would you experts to steer me in the right direction for this. Gas vs DI? don't know, you get the idea, so a little help before it gets real

TIA!
Buy a Colt and get a brass deflector.
Old January 4, 2024, 08:47 PM   #39
41MagGuy

Get yourself one of these and apply the money you save for ammo. Just funnin ya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10mm carbine.jpg (729.6 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by 41MagGuy; January 4, 2024 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Missing image
Old March 26, 2024, 11:12 AM   #40
SqueezeCocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
About a year ago, I ordered the basic M4 pattern optics-ready Anderson from KYGun' just under $400 shipped. I shot it a couple of month before I started buying extras. I'm an iron sight guy, so I sprung for Troys. They've been flipped up and down a dozen times and still print in the middle of a 300 yard plate. I eventually added an A2 stock and Rock River two stage trigger.

The rifle itself is about 1.5 MOA with PMC 55 grain soft point, the only load I shoot in it. I'm between 400-500 rounds of the stuff and I've cleaned it once. The rifle has never jammed.

ETA: Image was a little large, so I'll add a link

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/wp-...829_171754.jpg
Just what I was expecting.
Old March 26, 2024, 11:15 AM   #41
SqueezeCocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Stag Panther -

It isn't going to jam, break, or FTF when I need it for a life-saving situation.

Again, I am not into massive amounts of ammo (enough t train, but not competition) or long range stuff - if I have to reach out and touch someone, my 7mag will do that
How much is your life worth?
Old March 31, 2024, 07:43 PM   #42
zeke

Have a liking for Rock River Arms, and they have fully assembled models below and above your price limit. Every RRA rifle with free floated barrel owned is extremely accurate. The ones with the old style handguards are very accurate. They put their money into barrels, and standard triggers are clean.
Old April 1, 2024, 11:20 AM   #43
Nathan

Colt, Aero, and PSA all make a good AR. Gas is the basic AR and it will be easiest. Colt makes a bare 6920 where you select the furniture.