The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2010, 05:52 PM   #1
OleEd

Just Bought a Ruger SR9 (9mm) - Question

This is my FIRST semi-automatic. I just enjoy wheel guns more (5 with 3 I shoot often). I bought the SR9 as my son-in-law has a Beretta 92 9mm and I thought I'd get at least one semi in my collection to shoot with him and in a forthcoming IPSC shoot I was invited to shoot.

I have the dies, brass and powder (Bullseye and Win 231 - my favorite powders). But my question is: Is there are any Ruger SR9 (9mm) shooters (or any one else for that matter) out there that would share with me your favorite combination of bullet size/type and powder (you use) for loads practice shooting and for protection? Brass and lead bullets too please.

I load 158 gr LSWCs for my S&W 586 .357 mag revolver and tis a great gun using tgt loads with Bullseye pwdr. Leading is, at times, a slight problem for me. Will there be a similar problem firing lead bullets in the SR9? Is there a lead bullet you shoot that does not lead up?

I was invited to shoot production at a IPSC with a friend. Do you have a load you prefer for this event or even for a USPSA which is shot in Columbia, MO?

I have a S&W 38 Model 442 Centennial for my personal carry so the SR9 (to date) is more for casual and casual competition shooting.

I thank you in advance for your suggestions and even any advice you may wish to give.

Ole Ed
Old June 7, 2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Jim243

Ole Ed

I had to laugh when I read your post. Casual competition shooting, is there such a thing?(LOL) Well going from revolver to semi-auto will be a change.

I shoot 9mm (PT-92) in IDPA matches. You will be shooting Production Minor with the 9 (lower point system in IPSC) I try to stay away from lead and stick with jacketed hollow points, my rifling likes them better (accuracy). So I would say 124 grain remington jacketed HPs with 4.7 grains of W231.

But it really is going to depend on what your SR9 likes, I also use a Beretta PX4 Storm and it loves 115 grain FMJ. You are going to need to try a few different loads and bullets to see what it likes.

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; June 7, 2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:31 PM   #3
oneounceload

Not a pistol competitor, but MY 9mms all tend to prefer a 124 grain bullet. I use both Bullseye and Universal Clays, running in the 4.5-5.0 range depending. I found 147 too slow and inaccurate. I find the 115 to be just OK.
Old June 10, 2010, 11:14 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

Zero / Montana Gold / R-P / Winchester 124--130g FMJ-RN.
OAL 1.125--1.155"; 1.145".
CCI / WSP.
Sized sorted cases, new or used.
Ramshot Silhouette / AA5 / HS6 / 3N37 / N350.
LEE Carbide Factory Crimp die.

My personal (current) USPSA load: Sized sorted case. CCI500. 5.3g WAP. 130g .356" Montana Gold FMJ-RN. OAL 1.148".