The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 5, 2002, 07:20 PM   #1
CWL

Biting Still Usefull?

Y'all,

I was trained to include biting as part of my combatives package. Nose, ears, eyes, face, fingers, throat & other parts of the body make themselves available when in a tumble.

Nowadays, with the advent of AIDs and other nasty contagions that a BG may very likely carry, is it still a useful part of overall defense?
Old December 6, 2002, 12:10 AM   #2
Greybeard

Oh yea. Die another day. There are no rules.
Old December 6, 2002, 01:17 AM   #3
yorec

A situation where biting may become neccessary is gotta be pretty bad. All other self defense options have been taken away from ya and its defend or loose it all; if its time to bite.

If its all ya got left, are you going to stop just because there is a CHANCE you might catch something? If its to that point already, stopping to consider the odds adds to the CHANCE you will die before you have time to worry about some virus or whether the guy simply tasted bad. Minimize the risk and bite away.

Life or death. I'll choose life everytime, if offered...

And chew lots of garlic - for the vampires.
Old December 6, 2002, 01:21 AM   #4
Blackhawk

Biting converts somebody fighting you to somebody who's mad as can be, adrenaline charged, and absolutely determined to kill you like some attacking vermin. Been bit once, and it will NOT stop your opponent.

It also takes your best sensors, your eyes, out of the fight for the most part.

OTOH, if that's the only weapon you've got left with no way to escape, what's your choice?
Old December 6, 2002, 10:45 AM   #5
LiveWire

Hey, man! I just had a root canal!
Old December 6, 2002, 11:00 AM   #6
C.R.Sam

Use the best tool at hand at the moment.
If that be biting, so be it.
Object is to outlive the other person.

Sam
Old December 6, 2002, 11:33 AM   #7
Litlman

Last resort, add a little salt , pepper and don't forget the garlic powder, then , take a bite! Do what you got to do!

Litlman.................
Old December 6, 2002, 11:43 AM   #8
Mute

Anything that helps you achieve your ultimate goal (win the fight) is good in my book. No, biting will not stop your attacker, but it might help you break out of that choke hold. True with all the various social diseases, blood contamination is a concern, but only to someone who isn't dead.
Old December 6, 2002, 01:49 PM   #9
woodland

What was that movie? I think it was The Bone Collector. The BG comes to kill the cop who is paralised (sp?) . Worked for him! All comes down to you do what you gotta do.
Old December 6, 2002, 02:07 PM   #10
pbarrick

I think biting is still a useful tactic. Especially when it's used as Paul Vunak teaches it, as a means to create a gap between you and the opponent. Kina Mutai has it's place--although Paul Vunak gnawing on a raw roast is a sight that most people find disturbing on video.
Cutting Edge Training Across the U.S.A.
http://www.optionsforpersonalsecurity.com
Toll Free 1.877.636.4677
Old December 6, 2002, 03:36 PM   #11
krept

Quote:
although Paul Vunak gnawing on a raw roast is a sight that most people find disturbing on video.
HAHAHA sounds worth the price of the vid just to see that.

Biting on the back, thigh, bicep, things like that might not be very effective, especially if someone has the adrenaline dump going.

If you get an ear, nose, finger, cheek, lip ("rip their lips off!"), etc. then I think it would be quite effective. Especially in conjunction with an eyegouge for example. Maybe to set up a sub or reversal against a resisting opponent? How about if opponent tries to eyegouge and his fingers slip around near your mouth? Finger sausage time!

Like Sam said, use the right tool at the right moment. Never heard of someone leading in with a bite like a dog, but if all goes wrong and you find yourself in super CQB, just another weapon at your disposal.

Gotta love practicing your technique on a roast... .
Old December 7, 2002, 02:08 AM   #12
pax

I think it still has its place.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/sh/n...23-150559.html

DNA evidence, anyone?

pax
Old December 8, 2002, 05:50 PM   #13
sm

Biting Still Useful?

Yep
Survival is the goal
whatever it takes
Old December 9, 2002, 03:51 PM   #14
TEA

Don't forget when someone is straddling you with your arms pinned and is about to turn your face into a makiwara board and they're sitting to far forward (ie towards your face) to use your legs. It ain't pretty, but a judicious bite to that most sensitive of regions will back them up enough for you to bridge and then get a leg around their throat or a knee in their back. Don't really have to worry about blood to much, since jeans are pretty hard to puncture with your teeth, its more of a shock value technique to create and opening than something that is going to put them out of the fight.
Old December 9, 2002, 04:19 PM   #15
krept

Would be good too if someone is going for a rear choke and you still have your chin tucked?
Old December 10, 2002, 02:16 PM   #16
Anthony

This is an especially good for tactic for me.

I wear an extra large hat on this extra large head of mine and it is equipped with extra large jaws to move this big mouth of mine.

Further my jaw muscles are very strong because being very very Italian I love to eat all of the Italian food I can get my hands on and never tire of hearing my own voice! Not to mention the garlic thing.

So go ahead BG and give me that ear, nose, etc. and watch it disappear under the gleam of my full jaw of strong teeth!

- Anthony
Old December 10, 2002, 04:02 PM   #17
Bahadur

Quote:
Use the best tool at hand at the moment.
If that be biting, so be it.
Object is to outlive the other person.
The objective is not to "outlive" the other person. The objective (for civilian self-defense) is to escape with as little damage as possible.
Quote:
Especially when it's used as Paul Vunak teaches it, as a means to create a gap between you and the opponent.
Exactly!
Old December 10, 2002, 04:34 PM   #18
krept

I can see it now... tactical dentures
Old December 10, 2002, 04:52 PM   #19
CWL

Quote:
tactical dentures

www.gangstagold.com
Old December 12, 2002, 01:17 AM   #20
Coronach

Wait...they're not tactical. The teeth aren't black.

Mike

PS but supposedly, the people buying them are. Hmmm...tactical-americans?

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old December 12, 2002, 02:02 AM   #21
TheSwift1

hey...it worked for Mike Tyson...well, almost..
Old December 12, 2002, 12:27 PM   #22
krept

hahaha

I bet the tactical version would be carbide tipped with a HAIII coating.
Old December 12, 2002, 12:48 PM   #23
Double Naught Spy

Biting is just as useful today as it was 100 years ago, and just as problematic. There are all sorts of contagious maladies that may be passed through the blood and oral cavity or via open wound to open wound. Aids just happens to be a newer, highly publicized malady. It is just one more of many that you might have to face, but that alone should not be enough to sway your decision to bite or not.

If you are in a fight and are too the point of needing to bite, quite likely you are in very close quarters hand to hand (w or w/o other weapons) and likely have open wounds as does your opponent (scrapes, cuts, bloody lips or nose, etc. In other words, infection between combatants is not unlikely and biting may just be one more wound where that happens.
Old December 17, 2002, 12:58 PM   #24
kungfool

Historically, biting has been quite an effective weapon. Not so much in battlefield situations but most definetly in regions that were sparsely populated.

Especially before the 20th century, (even still these days witha lot of my friends) the human mouth was/is filled with germs and bacteria tha can inflict an infection on the bitten person if not treated promptly and properly.

It was not at all unheard of for someone to be bitten on their back, or on the rear of their shoulders, not be able to get to help or cleanse the wound, get infected from all those germs in that filthy mouth that bit them and DIE!

Before mankind knew a lot about germs and antiseptics, bites from humans were taken seriously indeed.
Old December 20, 2002, 02:35 PM   #25
T-Rex

If somebody bit me on the arm or something, I think I'd just be really P O'ed. If they actually bit OFF a chunk, I think I'd be a lot more likely to go into shock. If that chunk was an appendage or on my face, I'm not sure how I'd react. Adrenaline counteracts a lot, but just how much........?