The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 7, 2010, 05:26 PM   #1
wally626

Jackson County DA refuses to inforce gun bans in Wisconsin

Quote:
This Supreme Court ruling is binding on all states and local governments, and immediately renders some of Wisconsin’s current laws unconstitutional. Therefore, in keeping with my oath to uphold and defend the Constitution, I hereby declare that this office will no longer accept law enforcement referrals for violations of the following statutes:

Section 167.31, prohibiting uncased or loaded firearms in vehicles; Section 941.23, prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons, including firearms; Section 941.235, prohibiting the possession of firearms in public buildings; Section 941.237, prohibiting the possession of firearms in establishments where alcohol
may be sold or served; and, Section 941.24, prohibiting the possession of knives that open with a button, or by
gravity, or thrust, or movement.
Statement from Jackson County Wisconsin DA
http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/dis...%20Chicago.pdf

When I first saw this I thought it was the AG, so being just a county DA the scope will be much more limited than I originally thought.

So any Jackson County residents going to give concealed carry a try?

Is this even something a DA can do without being charged with malfeasance.
Old July 7, 2010, 06:47 PM   #2
TLeo

The District Attorney has final say over what cases and charges are prosecuted or not prosecuted in his county so other than the citizens there voting him out of office there's not a thing anyone can do to force his office to prosecute.
I applaud his statement on this issue!
Old July 7, 2010, 08:33 PM   #3
KyJim

Kudos for him, but that doesn't mean those statutes really are unconstitutional. For example, he mentions, "prohibiting the possession of firearms in public buildings; Section 941.237." The Supreme Court in both Heller and McDonald pretty much stated restrictions on carry in "sensitive" places like government buildings would still be valid.
Old July 8, 2010, 02:14 AM   #4
SamW

My question is what is the statute of limitations on such crimes? My second question is when is the District Attorney up for re-election? My third question is the District Attorney going to risk his career and potentially be charged with official misconduct (or similiar) for doing this?
Old July 8, 2010, 08:38 AM   #5
EugeneInNC

He has already put his career at risk. If the majority of the voters don't like this he will not be reelected. I doubt anyone will file charges against him. He is also risking his career in that if someone does something stupid with a gun he will be crucified in the press. This guy seems like the rare politician that is trying to do the right thing. It would be sad if either of the above happens.

The degree to which people will continue to do the same things and expect different results never ceases to amaze me.
Old July 8, 2010, 08:55 AM   #6
tet4

I think it's probably not as risky as it sounds. First, if someone misbehaves with a gun, the possession charges really aren't going to matter. There are plenty of other laws that can probably be used, so I don't see anyone getting off free for doing something criminal. Second, he probably knows his district well enough to know that this is a good mood. There really can't be any better year than this year for any politician to snub their nose at the establishment. Frankly, I hope a few others will take a stand as well.
Old July 9, 2010, 11:06 AM   #7
kraigwy

Draft the dude and make him the US Attorney General.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Tags
concealed carry , wisconsin