The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 20, 2015, 10:14 AM   #1
Big-Blue

Cimarron Walker versus Uberti Walker?

Anybody know the difference between a Cimarron Walker and an Uberti Walker? I understand that Cimarron provided Uberti with custom specifications and that Uberti made it for Cimarron's distribution.

I ran across this old thread. Does anyone have anything to add?
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...imarron+walker

Thanks,
Old February 20, 2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Model12Win

The Cimarron one will say "Cimarron" on it.

That is the ONLY difference. It has always been rumored that Cimarron gets Uberti's top finished revolvers, but that is nothing more than internet rumor.
Old February 20, 2015, 08:14 PM   #3
MJN77

Quote:
It has always been rumored that Cimarron gets Uberti's top finished revolvers, but that is nothing more than internet rumor.
A few years ago, I actually asked a rep at Cimarron about their Uberti guns being "better/different" than everyone else's. His reply? "That's what we like to tell people".
Old February 20, 2015, 09:09 PM   #4
Hawg

The Cimarron will have Uberti's name and Italian markings hidden and Cimarron's barrel address will be roll stamped Colt Style.
Old February 20, 2015, 09:56 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

A Uberti is a Uberti . . . . . .

The last one I ordered was my Uberti Bisley. The LGS that I ordered it through . . I gave them the choice of where they could get it based on availability. The fellow who I was ordering it from said he would rather get it from Uberti . . if it was O.K. with me. He could give it to me at a better price and made no bones that he liked dealing with Uberti due to the folks he deals with there. He checked on availability at Uberti - they had it in stock and he said he could have it from them in 2 weeks . . which he did to the day.

So it really depends on what "markings" you want on it - Uberti's or Cimarron.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 20, 2015, 10:48 PM   #6
yournodaisy

I used to think the same thing about Cimarron. They have excellent guns, however, I have Taylors and Stoegers that are as good in every way.
Old February 20, 2015, 11:31 PM   #7
campingnights

Based totally on my experience. The name Cimarron is kinda like a warning label.

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old February 21, 2015, 06:00 AM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
Based totally on my experience. The name Cimarron is kinda like a warning label.
Based on mine its not.
Old February 21, 2015, 12:07 PM   #9
MJN77

I have Uberti guns from Taylor's, Cimarron, Dixie Gun Works and Navy Arms. There is no difference other than the names stamped on them. As far as Cimarron, the guns are fine, it's the customer service that sucks. Check out the "cowboy" shooting forums. There are a lot of horror stories about dealing with Cimarron's customer service. I got a brand new Cimarron revolver from a certified Cimarron Firearms dealer with the front sight canted at the 1 o'clock position. I mean it was easy to see. It shot a foot to the right at 30 feet. Cimarron CS told me they would charge me to fix it because it wasn't a warranty issue. I had a local smith fix it for less than Cimarron quoted me. It has been a great shooter since. Like I said, the guns are good, it's the CS you have to be aware of.
Old February 21, 2015, 02:38 PM   #10
campingnights

Quote:
Hawg: Based on mine its not.

Sounds kinda like the Chevy/Ford debate? Strong feelings on both sides. I just know that Cimarron's quality control isn't what it should be. I'd rather pay more to have a manufacturer make sure a gun does what it is supposed to do, right out of the box, every time. Cimarron ain't it.

Best to you

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old February 21, 2015, 02:52 PM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
Sounds kinda like the Chevy/Ford debate?
I have both.
Old February 21, 2015, 05:43 PM   #12
MJN77

Quote:
I just know that Cimarron's quality control isn't what it should be. I'd rather pay more to have a manufacturer make sure a gun does what it is supposed to do, right out of the box, every time. Cimarron ain't it.
It's not Cimarron's quality control, as they are not manufacturers. Uberti in Italy manufactures the guns, Cimarron is just an importer. If the gun has flaws or doesn't work, it came from Italy that way. The problem with Cimarron, is that they, in most cases that I have heard about, will not stand behind the products they sell. Their site says
Quote:
Every firearm is thoroughly quality inspected for damage or defect immediately before shipping. If damage or defects are found during quality inspection the firearm is not shipped. If you receive a damaged firearm it was damaged during shipment.
This absolves them from responsibility if you get a dinged/scratched gun, even if the box has no damage. I have seen that first hand. Like I stated above, a canted sight on a new gun was my problem, not theirs.
Old February 21, 2015, 10:10 PM   #13
campingnights

MJN77, It is still Cimarrons quality control issues. It doesn't matter who the subcontractor is that actually manufactures the weapon. Cimarron's name is on the product and Cimarron is the last set of hands on the gun to make sure it is up to their standards before the customer gets it. I think we both agree that Cimarron is a sorry company to do business with, just slightly differing aspects of their QC. I know with a certainty that I will never buy any of their products again. What others decide is their own affair.

Old February 23, 2015, 11:54 AM   #14
H.W. French

I have owned percussion revolvers (1851's, 58's and 60's) imported from both Cimarron and Uberti. Fit, finish and mechanics were very good on both.
If you consider Customer Service to be part of the deal then I would take my chances on the Uberti. In my experience Cimarron will not stand behind their product.
Old March 3, 2015, 03:12 AM   #15
mec

Dealing with them buying spare parts has been problem free which has given me a favorable impression. I've never gone to them to order a gun or for service.
Old March 3, 2015, 06:19 PM   #16
salvadore

Yeah, Cimarron's customer service pretty much sucks.
Old March 3, 2015, 06:29 PM   #17
mec

A friend had a Uberti Cattleman SAA that he dry fired enough to extrude the firing pin hole in the breech This allows the primer to flow into the hole and interfer with cocking. Uberti said that they realized that making that revolver with no firing pin bushing could eventually cause problems and since they weren't equipped to put a bushing in his revolver, they just sent him a replacement.
Old March 3, 2015, 08:48 PM   #18
CameronP

I've had excellent experience with Cimarron Arms along with Excellent customer service. Wonder if I'm just lucky . I have noticed that my Cimarron guns ( 1873 Colt Custer, and 1861 Navy) have a bit more refined finish than my standard Uberti 1858; although I can't really find fault with it's finish.
I personally like the lack of markings on my latest, the 1861 Cimarron.
Different strokes for different folks.
Old May 10, 2015, 09:17 AM   #19
manowar

I apologize for making this long thread longer. I was under the assumption that Cimarron guns are the ones that had options in the finishes, that being the main difference.

On a related note, 3 months ago I ordered a pocket police 5 1/2" in the original finish (I saw two and they looked SO cool I couldn't believe it). I ordered it from Texas Jack's website, as someone told me they were basically the Cimarron site.

Well, I checked on my order around 6 weeks ago and all it said was "on hold". It says the same thing today. Funny thing is that the credit card I ordered it on has expired and replaced with a new one which Texas Jack's does not have.

I know what you're thinking and what you're going to say, but let me tell you that since I ordered this gun I've purchased 3 other guns and I really don't want to order another at the present time, so not getting the pocket police now will be ok.

I'm just leaving the order to stay "on hold" to monitor how long it will take before any action is taken by their customer service. Maybe if enough time passes I'll have the extra $$ to buy the pocket police!