The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 16, 2002, 09:41 PM   #1
Joe Portale

9mm Commander to 38Super

Just finished up doing some work to a Colt Commander and decided to replace the 9mm barrel for a 38 Super. The 38 rounds feed fine and the gun will eject an empty. But, it will not clear a loaded round. The round gets stuck with about 1/4" of the bullet in the breach. The round is angled just like it supposed to be, but simply will not clear the back of the barrel.

Is this just a matter of shortening the ejector or am I missing something else? Thanks.

Joe

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old June 17, 2002, 07:12 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Joe, it should be just a matter of shortening the ejector. My carry 1911 (45ACP) has an extended ejector in it and it doesn't "eject" a loaded round either. I would make sure that there isn't something else inerfering with the round like maybe the nose of the next bullet in the mag but I imagine that it's just that the ejector is too long. George
Old June 18, 2002, 11:00 AM   #3
Unkel Gilbey

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ejector found on Commanders longer than the one found on Govt. models? If so, then all you are looking at (Joe) is a simple swap with a relatively cheap replacement part.

George, could tuning the extractor also have an effect here? I've spoken with armorers before who would tune extractors to throw brass very consistently to one spot on the ground. Is it possible that tuning this extractor could cause the round to miss what ever it is that it's hanging up on?

Thanks, and good luck Joe.

Unkel Gilbey