The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 13, 2010, 10:34 PM   #26
Hardy

No Model P==you got it wrong. It's what happened in me asking if I could post ya'lls remarks on this powder. Had nothing to do with these posts which are good. I HAVE NEVER QUOTED ANYONE ON THIS thread or any others. I Promise. Goodby
Old August 14, 2010, 10:54 AM   #27
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintforever
I like to ask someone gave me some Jim Shockley Gold gold in pellets I wonder can I work them into powder loose and use them in my ruger?
I also have a off question Goex 3F in my Ruger old army I have a few cans of 4F can I reduce the charge with the finer powder and use it in the old army?
Lyman's Black Powder Handbook lists FFFFg loads for the Old Army.

31 grains G-O FFFFg = 964 fps with .457 roundball
41 grains G-O FFFFg = 1036 fps.

The Ruger is strong enough that it won't blow up the gun, even FFFFg develops far lower pressures than smokeless loads develop.

I have shot 4f loads myself and that 41 grain full chamber load does get the attention of other shooters at a public range.
Old August 14, 2010, 03:22 PM   #28
robhof

robhof

I've also used the 4f in my ROA, the 1st time was when I brought it and my flint rifle to the range and ran out of the pyrodex that I was using as my main propellent in the ROA, had a full primer horn of 4f for the flint tray. I put in 35 the 1st time and it shot just fine so I added the extra 5 and what a bang, I ended up emptying my primer horn too. The ROA manual says any granulation of powder can be used, but best results can be had with 3f, I got excellent accuracy with 40gr of 4f a wonder wad and round ball.
Old August 16, 2010, 06:51 PM   #29
Hardy

OK There was a misunderstanding. Sorry =It is cleared up. I'm back. Are ya'll gonna shoot me! Yes, I was confused about JS 3 (and appreciate observations and feedback) and since the original post of this topic- I have been doing a little more shootin w/it. It appears to work great without wads between powder and ball. Maybe the wad contributed to the compression issues. 30 grains in 44's works better than same w/pyrodex in my tests when shooting at targets 25 to 35 ft. Any further or closer I do not know.