The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 8, 2013, 11:27 PM   #26
btmj

Agree with Kathy here. Slide manipulation can be mastered by anyone who is able to do everyday manual tasks, such as driving, opening a jar of mustard, or swinging a tennis racket.

The biggest variable among people is the size and shape of the hand. On average, a man's hand is larger than a woman's hand, but there is a lot of overlap and a small man may have a smaller hand size than a tall broad shouldered woman. Also, the length of the fingers has an effect on gun fit. A person with small hands but with long thin fingers may be able to use a fairly thick gun. Another person with a seemingly large hand may have short fingers, and a thick gun does not work. Some people have such thick fingers that small guns don't work.

It is not a man/woman issue, it is a hand size and shape issue.

================

Sgt Lumpy, I laughed at your post....
Old July 9, 2013, 01:43 AM   #27
dakota.potts

I agree with pax on slide manipulation. I'm a male but I'm 17 and I'm 5'6 and 110 lbs. to say nothing of my hand size. I have very small hands. When my dad brought home my CZ 75 from the gunshop (I hadn't held it yet) he told me I had made a mistake. I picked up the gun and couldn't rack the slide. Literally could not get the hammer to go from down to half cock no matter how I struggled.

I bought some snap caps, watched some videos, read The Cornered Cat article dealing with this issue, and spent 6 hours practicing.

It's pretty effortless now but was very hard at first. I've not held a gun since that I couldn't manipulate. Although I haven't tested my luck with a desert eagle yet

Thanks Pax!
Old July 9, 2013, 02:14 AM   #28
Venom1956

I use a length of pipe, or perhaps a wooden club if I'm feeling old school. I mean I am a MAN!

Women cannot use such devices they are small and weak and need hands to hold flowers and do house work
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old July 9, 2013, 06:06 AM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hey JGL...

Don't **** me off. You won't like it when I'm ****** off...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 9, 2013, 06:47 AM   #30
kahrguy

This guy carries a kahr cm9 as a blue collar got to work pocket pistol. a cw9 for basic iwb and a tp40 for when a cover is warranted. All one brand , same function.

I have also met some soft mealy kind of guys at a public range that could not hardly rack a pistol that my 100lb daughter could easily deal with. She can rack my cm9 kahr . Not known to be easy to rack.
Old July 9, 2013, 07:57 AM   #31
40-82

Kathy,

I've read enough of your posts to know that you're one tough lady. You have two choices to give to a man new to guns, a cut down 1911 45 auto or a snub-nosed 44 magnum.

If the poor sod limp-wrists the 45 auto and it jams on him or he doesn't hold the magnum tight enough to keep from driving the front sight back into his forehead, you'll know him for a wimp and dump him.

I'm guessing that your post is a parody on the typical 'what kind of a little anemic gun should I get for a woman who is afriad of guns and doesn't much like them.' Any man who takes it as a matter of his birthright that he will always have more competence with firearms than any woman he meets is setting himself up to be humiliated.

In my small experience with teaching new shooters, I've always found women to learn more easily than men because they're not embarrassed to admit that they need help.

Edd
Old July 9, 2013, 09:42 AM   #32
m&p45acp10+1

I say guys need a gun that points like a remote control. Loads like opening a bag of Doritos. Feels as natural in the hand as a beer. Also it needs a holster that he can reach quickly whenever he is not dragging his knuckles on the ground.
Old July 9, 2013, 11:28 AM   #33
pax

Quote:
I say guys need a gun that points like a remote control. Loads like opening a bag of Doritos. Feels as natural in the hand as a beer. Also it needs a holster that he can reach quickly whenever he is not dragging his knuckles on the ground.
Win!

Also, Mike Irwin's weasel made me laugh.

Um. Wait. There's something wrong with that previous sentence, but I don't know how to fix it.

pax
Old July 9, 2013, 12:02 PM   #34
Rodger_p

Really! I did just laugh-out-Loud!!
Old July 9, 2013, 12:14 PM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

It is a mighty weasel...

Old July 9, 2013, 12:37 PM   #36
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It is a mighty weasel...
With a Hello Kitty lunchbox...indeed it is.
Old July 9, 2013, 12:56 PM   #37
Mike Irwin
Staff

Uhm...

That's a Hello Weasel lunchbox, thank you very @^LIJ$%& much.

Old July 9, 2013, 01:15 PM   #38
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglsprings
Check out Mike Irwin's web site the Cornered Weasel.
That may well be the funniest post I've ever seen on this site.

I can't stand text-speak acronyms but that one literally made me LOL.
Old July 9, 2013, 03:09 PM   #39
csmsss

Posturing aside, men prefer pink firearms. Hot, phosphorescent, glow-in-the-dark pink. It's ok to accent certain parts of the gun with, perhaps, contrasting colors (teal or purple are obvious choices), but when we go to bed at night, we're all dreaming of pink steel. We just can't admit it to each other is all.
Old July 9, 2013, 03:40 PM   #40
mrray13

Oh boy, threads almost always degenerate to the size of a man's weasel....especially when a woman mentions she laughed at a man's weasel...we all know it's not about the size of the weasel in the fight but rather if Mrs. Weasel gave the weasel permission to be in the fight in the first place.
Old July 9, 2013, 06:00 PM   #41
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
No offense, Pax, but the question is a bit insulting.

Just because we all have Y chromosomes doesn't mean we all have the same preferences, hand size, and emotional drives. I get tired of women thinking we all want a camo-dipped .44 Magnum Loudenbowser because of stereotypes....
I'm sorry, Tom. I have to disagree with you. I think pax is absolutely right.

A mere man can't be expected to be able to choose his own gun. We need to rely on our wives to pick our neckties. How can we expect to be able choose something as important as a gun for ourselves?
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old July 9, 2013, 07:48 PM   #42
Bluestarlizzard

Quote:
Posturing aside, men prefer pink firearms. Hot, phosphorescent, glow-in-the-dark pink. It's ok to accent certain parts of the gun with, perhaps, contrasting colors (teal or purple are obvious choices), but when we go to bed at night, we're all dreaming of pink steel. We just can't admit it to each other is all.
Hmmm... Maybe I'll have to get Dad something pink for Christmas. Especially considering I finagled away his roll of hot pink duct tape.
He'd carry it too. *grin*
Old July 9, 2013, 08:44 PM   #43
Glenn E. Meyer

Not to divert but my daughter when 14 and 5'2" could rack my semis.

I showed it to her. Gave her the gun and said do it. Zip.

I suggest a little LCP with the raspberry colored grips as they are very attractive.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:16 PM   #44
Bluestarlizzard

^ Glen, I hear you.

To be honest, I get a little cufuddled at the concept that a slide is to hard to rack. I was racking slides on semi's from age 8 and up, and I don't recall ever failing to get it. Some of them, I would have a little struggle to get past the learning curve, but I never met a slide I couldn't figure out.

Now loading certain magizines can cause words of an explicit nature to be spewed like a drunk sailor, even with a loader, and there have been some I could not get the last few rounds in, but slides and triggers where never that difficult, even with small hands.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:17 PM   #45
seeker_two

Are we still talking about Mike's weasel?....
Old July 9, 2013, 09:19 PM   #46
Bluestarlizzard

I would prefer to forget mikes weasel.

I may have to burn floppy disks as an offering to the gods to get the mental pictures this thread has caused out of my head.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:43 PM   #47
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I may have to burn floppy disks as an offering to the gods to get the mental pictures this thread has caused out of my head."

That's another discussion from another board.

Old July 9, 2013, 10:45 PM   #48
redhologram

It was the weasel that got me, I confess. Add in some floppy disks.. floppy weasel?? Not sure what all I was reading I was LOL'ing so hard... It went downhill from there.. lol I have to agree, this is probably the funniest thread I have yet to read on TFL..