The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 26, 2020, 09:28 PM   #1
TWilliams

Sig 229 feed issue

So I picked up a used in great condition Sig 229 .40 today from an individual. He said he had no issues with it, just getting out of .40. It was clean, box,docs and 6 mags (3 Sig and 3 aftermarket). I loaded up 2 mags of WWB and it ran great. I ran thru 200 rounds. Came in and cleaned it and loaded up a mag of Fed Prem JHP and cycled the slide and the first round jammed against the feed ramp. Dropped the mag and tried it about 5 more times with same result. I disassembled it, everything looked good and put it back together. Tried it again with the same mag. Same result. Loaded up some more WWB and it was fine. So I tried 2 different mags (1 Sig and 1 aftermarket) with Feds and it was fine. I manually cycled the entire mag twice with no jams. Loaded up the first mag again and it jammed again. Is it safe to assume the mag is faulty? I'll take it out tomorrow and try firing with the other mags with Fed ammo and see what it does but it just makes me a little uneasy since I have no history of the gun.
Old March 26, 2020, 10:53 PM   #2
Ignition Override

I'm confused.

Is the problem mag an OEM or aftermarket? Please clarify.
Old March 26, 2020, 11:00 PM   #3
TWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition Override View Post
I'm confused.

Is the problem mag an OEM or aftermarket? Please clarify.

Sorry, it is one of the Sig mags. I’ve tried 3 mags, 2 Sig and 1 aftermarket so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM   #4
Bob L. Swagger

Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock.

Just kidding. I just bought a P229 (in 9mm) so I'll be watching this thread. I've never had a problem with any "P" series Sig, regardless of mags or ammo.
Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM   #5
starnbar

Do not try to modify the magazine I had a mag for my sig that would not feed hp it fed every thing else fine just a finicky mag use that one for hard ball
Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM   #6
TWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by starnbar View Post
Do not try to modify the magazine I had a mag for my sig that would not feed hp it fed every thing else fine just a finicky mag use that one for hard ball

Didn’t even consider that. I’m trying some more to verify but I’ll just not use that msg. I’ve got 5 others.
Thanks for the replies so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #7
hammie

Some here will likely say "no" to this suggestion, but if the problem persists, I would polish the feed ramp. Just go slowly and use a polishing compound which is not too aggressive.
Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM   #8
Onward Allusion

I've had mags like that in the past. Just paint the base and reserve 'em for the range. Who knows, maybe when it get really insane you can unload it for 3X the cost.
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM   #9
ammo.crafter

sig mag

Call Sig and tell them you want to send them the bad mag and request they send you another in its place.
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammo.crafter View Post
Call Sig and tell them you want to send them the bad mag and request they send you another in its place.

Is SIG in the habit of replacing used magazines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #11
Seven High

Check the defective Sig mag for having the spring put in backwards. Check the slide rails for lubrication.