The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 29, 2020, 12:25 AM   #1
45flaco

Mauser feed problems

I have a 7x57 spanish mauser, doesn't feed from the right side of the mag, especially with soft-points or anything flat on the front.
The cartridge starts going up to the chamber, but points sideways too far, and the front of the bullet slams into the edge of the chamber face. The right side ALWAYS does this, the left does this maybe every third round.
The follower is a little loose side to side, but I don't think that's the issue. It seems like the cartridge needs to be pointed less to the side.
Ideas? I can post pictures in a bit.
It's driving me crazy. I've seen more reliable Lorcins.
I was thinking either:
A) Bevel the edge of the chamber, depending on how far the case head goes into the chamber
B) Convert to single stack magazine
C) other option I haven't thought of?
Old August 29, 2020, 06:37 AM   #2
std7mag

I'd see if i could find a new follower first off.

After that, possably see if the lip on the right side could possably be opened up a little.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 29, 2020, 08:45 AM   #3
Nathan

I think you are going about this wrong.

Feed in bolt actions seems mostly related to the action extractor, “rails”, follower and magazine.

I’m not holding the rifle, but how does it feed with the extractor removed? I would get that dialed in first, assuming I had the correct follower and magazine. If it was an 8x57 before, I would guess it is close enough.
Old August 29, 2020, 07:17 PM   #4
Scorch

As a Mauser feeds, the magazine spring forces the cartridge out from under the feed rails. Not popping out from under the feed rails? Magazine spring.
Old August 29, 2020, 11:50 PM   #5
45flaco

actually, it seems like it's popping out of the feed rails too early. I can push the cartridge down and against the feed rails, and it doesn't jam, but I don't want to have to use my left hand every time I cycle the gun.
This gun was never an 8x57, its a factory 7x57 spanish mauser. This is supposed to be the original follower. I'll try finding a new follower, though.
It does the same jam with or without extractor. Even does it just pushing with a dowel, with the bolt removed (I thought that maybe the bottom of bolt might be off center).

Tags
jams , mauser