The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 8, 2006, 05:09 PM   #26
Tom2

Bigger

Whoa, then for real shock and awe, get ahold of some of those big weather balloons that Edmund Scientific may still sell, and fill that with hydrogen. Can you say Hindenburg? Maybe get a super soaker full of gas, and set it off from 30 feet away! You could charge admission to see that at night!
Old March 8, 2006, 05:21 PM   #27
DBOUNCE1

some of you guys scare me
Old March 14, 2006, 04:11 PM   #28
barnetmill

Do any armed forces in the world still use them? I thought they were banned for warfare, but I am not sure.

On the domestic front it might be difficult for the BATF to figure out how to outlaw them since there are various devices that are used in furnaces and even automobiles that inject and light fuel.

Once someone told me a story about someone putting a spark plug into an exhuast syytem of a car some years ago and getting a flame to shoot out the muffler when he floored it. Don't know if it was true.
Old March 14, 2006, 05:17 PM   #29
MicroBalrog

The NFA FAQ by Bardwell has the following quote on Flamethrowers:

Quote:
Flame Thrower - not a DD, nor even a firearm. Unregulated
as to possession, under federal law. Great way to clear snow off
the driveway.
http://www.pcarms.com/Files/Pdf/FAQ_NFA.pdf
Old March 15, 2006, 11:43 AM   #30
barnetmill

MicroBalrog, you quoted: "FAQ ON NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT WEAPONS
Copyright by James O. Bardwell, 1994 - 2001."
In the same PDF file in the preface is written: "Nothing written here should be taken as legal advice. If you have a specific legal problem, you should talk to a lawyer."

I would go the the BATF directly to check legality rather than someone else that wrote something with a copyright date of 1994 - 2001.
Old March 15, 2006, 11:56 AM   #31
shaggy

Barnetmill - that's just a standard disclaimer; James Bardwell is a well known lawyer in NFA circles and used to write the legal column in SAR & MGN. He knows the law well and although the piece is dated, its still correct. Flamethrowers are not regulated under federal law as firearms.
Old March 16, 2006, 11:35 PM   #32
Legion2600

Quote:
Once someone told me a story about someone putting a spark plug into an exhuast syytem of a car some years ago and getting a flame to shoot out the muffler when he floored it. Don't know if it was true.

It's true. Was popular to do back in the good old days. Dunno if it would work on a modern emmision car.
Old March 17, 2006, 12:20 AM   #33
CypherNinja

There are plenty of people who do it today. They just use extra-injector/sparkplug combos.

EDIT: And modified rotary engines do it just because.
Old March 17, 2006, 09:09 AM   #34
urbanassault

Alot of the flamethrower setups used in cars have a relay joining the ignition for 2 plugs, one of each bank to 2 plugs, one in each exhaust pipe. You have to rev the engine up then hit a button cutting out the ignition to the plugs in the block thus creating raw/unburnt fuel to run into the exhaust then the spark that was taken from the block is routed to the plugs in the exhaust igniting the raw fuel and shooting flames out the pipes. I really want to set it up on my car, it does not (unfortunatly) have anything to do with firearms.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old March 17, 2006, 01:31 PM   #35
Russ538

About the balloon filled with hydrogen: A balloon filled with only hydrogen will have a flame that must go out in search of oxygen to burn. It still makes quite an impressive fire ball, but if you want a HUGE explosion, fill the balloon with both hydrogen and oxygen. I think twice as much hydrogen as oxygen, but I don't quite remember the ratio.

This way, the oxygen source is located within the balloon, and believe me, you'll be able to hear the difference. It's a boom that will leave your ears ringing and set off some car alarms. It's not as big of a fire ball, because the hydrogen does not need to search for oxygen, but it's a much louder boom that puts out quite a shockwave.
Old March 17, 2006, 05:23 PM   #36
1BadF350

You guys have fun. I must admit that a got most of this stuff out of my system when I was in my early teens. I lost a few eyebrows in the process.
Old March 23, 2006, 10:52 PM   #37
Flash60601

Flamethrowers ?

Well, for the really big concussion, just get a six-foot piece of 8" pipe, and get out your trusty ol' oxy-acetylene torch, some newspaper and some masking tape.

Tape a cou[le layers of newspaper over each end, and punch a pencil-hole in one of the paper caps.

Light your torch, adjust for a complete combustion flame (neither oxidizing nor carburizing) and then wipe the flame out from off the end of the torch with a gloved hand.

Then, while the perfect combustion mixture is still flowing, insert the torch tip into the hole in the paper and let the gas flow for around 30-40 seconds.

Ignition of the charge is accomplished with some sort of glowing object pressed into the paper. A cigarette taped to a yard-stick works well , but be sure you stand to the side of the pipe, not in front of it.

Of course, the above is actually theoretical, Understand.

Me? Why I have never even seen it done, I've only heard the big kids talking about it.

I doubt that it would be well received in populated areas.

Flash
Old March 26, 2006, 06:46 PM   #38
gunslinger555

molotov cocktail

what about filling a glass bottle up with gasoline mixing in some laundry/dishwashing soap (to thiken it and make it stick) then puting the cap on then either
1.tie a rag around the neck douse it in lighter fluid light and throw
2.of tie magnisium matches around the bottle (not the neck) light and use the neck of the bottle to throw even farther
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov_cocktail
Old April 29, 2006, 11:09 PM   #39
Third_Rail

I'll have to dig it out, but I have a letter from the BATFE stating that flamethrowing devices (commonly called "flamethrowers") are perfectly legal to own/build/sell/etc.
Old April 30, 2006, 08:01 AM   #40
dfaugh

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...0&pagenumber=1

"Home Depot" Flame Thrower with pictures and videos

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old April 30, 2006, 06:29 PM   #41
CypherNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger555
what about filling a glass bottle up with gasoline mixing in some laundry/dishwashing soap (to thiken it and make it stick) then puting the cap on then either
1.tie a rag around the neck douse it in lighter fluid light and throw
2.of tie magnisium matches around the bottle (not the neck) light and use the neck of the bottle to throw even farther
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov_cocktail
Molotovs count as DD's. Even says in that link.
Old April 30, 2006, 09:10 PM   #42
gunslinger555

i wasnt saying it was leagal, just giving better ways to make big man fire!
Old May 1, 2006, 02:38 PM   #43
CypherNinja

pffft. Actual flamethrowers are way cooler than molotovs.

The fact that flamethrowers are legal and molotovs aren't multiplies that coolness by infinty. Automatic win for the Big Zippo.

EDIT: just to be entirely correct, molotovs aren't illegal as long as you get your tax stamps, but who the hell wants to do that?
Old May 3, 2006, 10:28 PM   #44
Arizona Fusilier

My best friend has an M2 unit (just like the "flamethrower for sale" link). He demo's it out here in AZ. Very complete unit. I don't know how Charlie Hobson get's all his going, I am under the impression the parts are rare.

It's a very impressive thing to see. I normally stand behind him in nomex with a fire extinguisher, for the slim that something bad might happen and I'll be able to stop it in time (as opposed to both of us getting incinerated). We do a hydro test every time its used though. Its been pretty safe.
Old May 10, 2006, 04:14 PM   #45
44 AMP
Staff

neighbor's tool

A neighbor of mine has a "weed burner" which is hose w/nozzle that connects to a standard propane tank. Does not have a built in igniter. Does not have a frame for the tank (tank sits on the ground). AFAIK perfectly legal (on burn days ) Wound this be considered a flame thrower? It works like one!
Old May 10, 2006, 04:35 PM   #46
silicon wolverine

Sort of. Most flamethrowers have both fuel and oxidizer on board. Weed burners use ambient oxygen. Now if you used propane and oxygen both from tanks in compressed form i think that would quailify but likely as a large torch more than anyhting else.

SW