The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 15, 2024, 01:55 AM   #1
liv4spd

Ruger warranty

It seems that social media is overwhelmingly positive about Ruger's warranty.

However, their website shows they charge exorbitant service fees:
https://ruger.com/service/partsService.html

For shipping, if your guns are over two years old, it will cost you $45.

Last edited by liv4spd; February 15, 2024 at 04:38 PM.
Old February 15, 2024, 02:46 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Ruger used to support any gun they made and their support was great. Amazing even.

Some years ago, they dumped a lot of spare parts from firearms they had discontinued onto the market.

I would expect them to continue to provide exemplary support for firearms they are currently manufacturing, but I would also expect them to claim (correctly due to their decision to limit their stock of spare parts for discontinued firearms) that they have a limited ability to provide support for firearms they no longer manufacture.

I have always been happy with my experiences with Ruger support, but I confess it has been many years since I have interacted with them.

If I were to buy from them today, I would purchase a firearm that I believe is going to remain in production for a long time. Their revolver lines seem to be very stable, for example.

As far as the shipping cost is concerned, if the issue turns out to be warranty related (i.e. a defect in materials, design or workmanship), I would expect Ruger to be willing to reimburse any costs the owner incurs getting the gun back to them.
Old February 15, 2024, 04:15 AM   #3
Hawg

Ruger doesn't have a warranty. They are good about repairing guns without payment tho.
Old February 15, 2024, 04:36 PM   #4
JustJake

Given the decline in Ruger’s QC in the last ten years, it’s good they have a “warranty” - even if they don’t call it such but will repair or replace a defective dog nonetheless.
Old February 15, 2024, 06:43 PM   #5
DT Guy

My experience with Ruger CS has been mixed; of three purchases in the last three years, two have been back to the mothership, and the third needs to. The two that were sent in were repaired correctly and quickly.

That said, years ago I had a Mk III fire out of battery and blow the loaded chamber into my thumb hard enough to numb it for a day and a half. When I called them, they offered to send me a new LCI....I took it, fixed the pistol and traded it that day on a Browning BuckMark.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old February 16, 2024, 02:56 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Some years back Ruger dropped their written warranty. They used nicer words, but, simply put, they were done trying to keep up with the BS needed to meet dozens (or more) individual state requirements for what had to be in a written warranty. SO, now, technically, there is no warranty.

Against this, Ruger emphatically states that they stand behind their guns and if there is something wrong they will fix it.

From what I understand, their current policy is that repaired guns will be returned to their original factory specs before Ruger sends them back. So, if you have aftermarket parts or have had custom work done, expect that to be undone by Ruger.

Don't know from personal experience, but the language they use suggests that they might do that as part of returning the gun to original specs.
Old February 16, 2024, 01:52 PM   #7
Pumpkin

I have always wished that other companies (automobiles) would stand behind their products as well as the firearms industry does.
Old February 16, 2024, 10:32 PM   #8
orionengnr

Quote:
Honestly, $45 is about standard shipping for a firearm these days. Unfortunate, but that is FedEx/UPS, not Ruger.
Ruger has a well-deserved good reputation for customer service.
Old February 17, 2024, 04:42 PM   #9
JasonD67

I just bought a new Ruger Mark IV 75th Anniversary Edition. The gun is a jam-o-matic with CCI Mini-Mags. I called Ruger and they are paying for the gun to be shipped back to them to be fixed. They were very easy to deal with and had no qualms about taking the gun back. We'll see how it functions when I get it back...
Old February 17, 2024, 06:30 PM   #10
dogtown tom

Quote:
liv4spd It seems that social media is overwhelmingly positive about Ruger's warranty.
Ruger does not have a warranty. Says so in every one of their instruction manuals for almost fifty years. Because of the requirements in the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Quote:
Their fees are not exorbitant in the least.

Quote:
How familiar are you with what it costs to ship handguns?
$45 is a bargain for UPS Next Day.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 17, 2024, 09:42 PM   #11
5whiskey

Quote:
I am in complete agreement with Dogtown Tom. Additionally, if you read at the top of the page Ruger specifically says that the "evaluate to determine if the service is to be provided at a fee or no-charge basis."

Reading further into their service prices, most of this looks more like custom work. Polish and Reblue is more of a refurbish job than warranty work. Drill and tap for scope bases? Not warranty work.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old February 20, 2024, 01:55 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Says so in every one of their instruction manuals for almost fifty years.
Hasn't been quite that long,. but they'll get there eventually.

I don't recall exactly when Ruger dropped their written warranty, but it was still written in 83 I have the manuals with the written warranty in them from Rugers I bought in the 80s. SO a bit less than 40 years at the most. I think closer to 25 or 30, but its not that important other than they dropped their written warranty a LONG time ago.

And, yes, it was entirely because of a stupid (stupidly written, at least) law.
Old February 21, 2024, 04:16 PM   #13
Drm50

Have had lots of contact with Ruger, S&W and Henry. Not a bit of problem with any of them. You couldn’t give me a Henry product as a gift but they are on top of CS game.
I’m speaking of within last 3 yrs. Several other companies fail to even acknowledge your requests. Ignore or lip service is the norm.
Old February 22, 2024, 12:48 AM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

The last time I had to contact Ruger for anything was before the Internet existed. A small but important part had come off and been lost in the field. The manual said it cost $1 so I put a dollar bill in with my handwritten letter.

Took about a week, as I recall, and the part was in my mailbox. I was rather impressed, considering we were on opposite sides of the country and first class mail took 3 to 5 days each way,
on average.
Old March 12, 2024, 05:54 PM   #15
JasonD67

For an update on my returned Mark IV 75th Anniversary edition I posted about above, Ruger received it on 2/19. I've called back to them twice since then asking for an update, but never received any information from those calls. I got a bit perturbed about this and sent the Ruger CEO, Chris Killoy, an email this afternoon (through Ruger's website) complaining about the lack of info. About 2 hours later the Customer Service manager in Prescott called me with an update. She said the CEO contacted her and she looked into it immediately. She gave me the update I wanted (the ejection port is causing the ejected round to bounce back into the chamber, which is a bit disconcerting) and she'll continue to let me know what's going on..

I have to say I am pleased that Ruger is receptive to customer complaints. Sorry it took an email to the CEO, but he is listening.
Old March 12, 2024, 09:26 PM   #16
jmr40

Those price lists would be considered custom work on a gun, not replacing parts. And those are reasonable prices to get a gun refinished and reblued.

In my experience any parts that break will be taken care of by Ruger at no cost.

On the other hand, part of the reason Ruger is so good at CS is because they get a lot of practice. I've had multiple Rugers with issues ranging from magazines that didn't work, barrels threaded at an angle, guns that simply had poor accuracy and many other issues.

I've returned several guns, or gun parts to Ruger. I've only had one other gun that left the factory defective.

But to Ruger's credit, they have always made it right and paid for shipping both ways.

I wouldn't expect them to pay shipping to refinish my gun at no cost. That isn't defective or worn parts.

Winston Churchill
Old March 13, 2024, 12:14 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

On the other side of the coin, I've owned about two dozen Rugers over the last 40 years, rifles and handguns, none of them has ever gone back to Ruger, none was defective in any way.

So flip a coin. IF you get a good one, you got a good one, if you didn't (and in my personal experience its uncommon, YMMV) Ruger will fix it.
Old March 13, 2024, 06:36 PM   #18
dogtown tom

Quote:
jmr40........On the other hand, part of the reason Ruger is so good at CS is because they get a lot of practice.
Or maybe they are good at customer service because they sell more firearms than every US gunmaker save S&W.
Roughly about 2.1 million guns in 2021. For the sake of argument, lets say 1% have to be returned...that's 21,000.

21,000 guns would be more than the entire production of manufacturers like Barrett, Windham Weaponry, Bravo Co, Riley Defense, Geissele, Bear Creek, Volquartsen or Weatherby.

Quote:
I've had multiple Rugers with issues ranging from magazines that didn't work, barrels threaded at an angle, guns that simply had poor accuracy and many other issues.
Yet you keep buying their guns?
I ship customer guns back for repair every week. I can count the number of Rugers returned on one hand.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old March 13, 2024, 09:14 PM   #19
Armybrat

“On the other side of the coin, I've owned about two dozen Rugers over the last 40 years, rifles and handguns, none of them has ever gone back to Ruger, none was defective in any way.

So flip a coin. IF you get a good one, you got a good one, if you didn't (and in my personal experience it’s uncommon, YMMV) Ruger will fix it.”

What 44Amp said goes for me too.
Ruger has one of the best service departments in the industry according to almost everyone who has used them and posted about their experience.
If you have a problem with a new gun, they will fix it.
If for some reason they can’t, they’ll work with you to replace it.
Old March 15, 2024, 04:24 PM   #20
Paul B.

Many years back I bought a Ruger #1 in 7x57 that was a very inaccurate rifle. I sent it back to Ruger and waited a little over 7 months to get it back. All they said on the form that came in the package as, "Rifle is accurate." I knew that they had replaced the barrel because the original had a serous oopsy gouge about 5" from the muzzle. The problem with the rifle was a way too long throat as determined by my gunsmith's doing a chamber cast. One could not get even the long 175 gr. round nose close to the rifling. The rifle is a pretty good shooter these days, more that adequate for deer and elk.

What does torque my jaws some is they no longer work on the tang safety version of the M77s. I have two short acton tang safety rifle in .358 Win that shoot patterns, Also a long action M77 in .35 Whelen that shattered the stock on firing for the first time. I salvaged that one with a Ramline stock I had on hand and use that rifle as a foul weather gun. Ot
stoo bad Ruger took that road as I much prefer the tang safety guns over the newer ones.
Paul B.
Old March 18, 2024, 09:07 AM   #21
Super Sneaky Steve

Ruger wouldn't fix my Vaquero. In typical Ruger fashion the chambers were tight. Some as tight as .449. This was supposed to be a 45 Colt handgun. Because of the tightness, when I'd shoot cast boolits with blue lube, my targets would have a hole with a blob of blue lube splattered near the hole. The chambers were stripping all the lube off which would then come out the barrel as a blob.

I bought a reamer then fixed my Vaquero, Redhawk and Blackhawk.
Old March 18, 2024, 01:42 PM   #22
rock185

IMHO, $45.00 is a deal now days. The last two guns I personally shipped through UPS a few years ago were $80.00 and $81.00. Don't know if UPS or FEDEX would even ship a gun for a non FFL now, unless the factory or receiving FFL has sent a shipping label.

I have owned a variety of Rugers over a period of many years. On the rare occasion I needed an issue addressed, Ruger always fixed whatever the issue was. A few years ago, Ruger replaced a gun for me, and were very nice about it during the process.

Wish all production guns by all manufacturers were perfect, or nearly so. It will never happen, so I'm glad Ruger and some other outfits have good customer service...YMMV