The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2015, 04:09 PM   #76
pgdion

Just don't correct her that it would technically be 'cartridge' building.
Old October 11, 2015, 08:10 AM   #77
LE-28

My wife of 36yrs asked me why I spend so much money on and spend so much time reloading, I told here when we left the woods of Pennsylvania to live in town, in North Carolina, so we could watch our grandchildren grow up, I didn't complain, I had to give up some things.

Hunting, fishing on the Great Lakes, pretty much all the things I had been doing since I was old enough to hold up a 22 rifle or a fishing pole.

I grew up in a very remote area of woods and was used to the freedom of no-one living close enough to us to cause problems about what we did.

I told her I wasn't giving up my guns or my reloading, it was all I had left, after thinking about it I think she felt guilty and she never complains about the time I spend with my handguns at the range or in the loading room.

She does make me get the 1000 count boxes of bullets out of the mail box when they come. She pretty much just tells me they are there and she can't get the mail out from under them. She helps me sort shells from time to time and I help her with house work.

I buy one to three handguns a year and have ever since we moved here. She never complains, in fact when I saw a model 57 at the LGS and told her about it, she insisted I buy it before someone else did.

There are a lot of times I feel like I lost a lot moving here, I had to sell my Grady White ( I couldn't take it with me), but I gained being part of my grandchildren growing up and that means a lot too, and my wife allows me to play and never complains.
So life, to me is just a big compromise I guess, but both side have to participate.
Old October 11, 2015, 10:13 AM   #78
Real Gun

Reloading should not be as opposed to having a family, but it is not the man's job to make all the concessions. Those who found a balance or who are fine on their own are fortunate.

I have seen Grandma's obsession with the little kidlets up close, and it is pretty scary.
Old October 11, 2015, 10:13 AM   #79
PolarFBear

I lost my first wife --- after 32 years. She ran off with a guy from Texas. She was very accomodating of my firearms interest. She even had her own collection that went with her at the divorce. Quite a NICE collection may I add. My new "bride" of 7 years is British (actually Scottish). She is not much of a firearms person. Though she is coming around. She doesn't really have an issue with any aspect of my hobby. Even tells me "don't you need to go make some bullets or something"! She just hates the smoke in the garage when I melt the "raw" wheel weights for a first pour. Even applauded my attendance at a gun show last weekend. Asked "did you buy a new gun? No. "did you see anything interesting? I am lucky to have her. Even if I am husband #6!
Old October 11, 2015, 10:18 AM   #80
Real Gun

You will be ex-husband #6, if you ever tell a true Scot they are British.
Old October 11, 2015, 10:32 AM   #81
PolarFBear

For REALGUN. Just N-E-V-E-R call her "English"!!! She equates the attempted governmental suppression of the Second Amendment to when the English subjugated the Scots. The English banned Scots from having swords, kilts and bagpipes. Lots of bad blood between English and Scots. Similar to True Patriots of the South and "Yankees".
Old October 11, 2015, 01:41 PM   #82
old roper

My wife has hunted with me on/off over the years and she has her own rifles.

Last few years she's been enjoying archery hunting vs rifle and weather little nicer. I'll get archery OTC elk tag then I put in for rifle buck,antelope maybe late cow tag.

She at some archery clinic and I'm heading to rifle range and I've been married to her end of month it be 50 years so we pretty much worked everything out.
NRA Life Member
Old October 13, 2015, 06:59 PM   #83
Average Joe

My wife loves the idea, that I can carry a gun and protect us in this crazy world.
Old October 14, 2015, 08:34 AM   #84
Real Gun

The question was about reloading and all that it entails, especially time, attention, space, and money.
Old October 15, 2015, 03:36 PM   #85
CowTowner

Umm....... Wife? What the?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old October 15, 2015, 08:47 PM   #86
orionengnr

My wife bought me my first Dillon 550, probably 7 years ago. Love her to death.

Quote:
I am giving Wife 1 half of my Navy retirement until she is on the brown side of the grass.

I always send her a little extra for cigarettes.
You, sir, get my vote for Post of the Month.
Old October 15, 2015, 09:02 PM   #87
Ozzieman

When we got married she knew that I owned guns and carried when we went out. No issue there. When we got married I gave her a CD with photos and all the information including value on each gun. Her first words “That many?”.
Then the 10 years have gone by, she carries a 60 S&W, and she has no problem with my reloading, since I reload everything she shoots. Now when I come home with “Honey look what I bought today.” All I get is “When are we going shooting?”
Some people are luckier than others.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 17, 2015, 02:13 AM   #88
aussie copper projec

Im lucky, my wife and our 8 and 10 year olds love hunting and camping. Wife needs to like it really she does all our sales side of the business.

www.auscopperprojectiles.com