The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 10, 2011, 04:54 AM   #1
PIGMAN

Transporting hand gun in california

DUE TO UNAVOIDABLE CIRCUMSTANCES I MUST TO TRAVEL TO THE PEOPLES REPUBLC OF CALIFORNIA FOR A BUSINESS MEETING IN HOLLYWIERD.ONE THING FOR CERTAIN IS THAT HOLLYWIERD IS NOT A MECCA FOR BUBBAS AND FROM WHAT I SEE ON TV I AM GOING TO BE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF GROUND ZERO FOR CRAZY.I WILL BE SPENDING THREE DAYS IN THE LAND OF BARBARA BOXER,DIANE FEINSTEIN AND NANCY PELOSI.WITH THIS IN MIND I FEAR IF I AM RECOGNIZED AS A GOOD OL BOY AND SINCE I AM UNDER THEIR JURISDICTION I MAY BE SEIZED AND FORCABLY SENT TO A POL POT STYLE RE-EDUCATION CAMP.

SINCE I ALWAYS TRAVEL WITH A FIREARM IN WHAT THE CALICRAZIES CALL FLY OVER COUNTRY AND I CAN CERTAINLY SEE NO REASON NOT TO HAVE A FIREARM HERE IN GROUND ZERO FOR NUTTINESS AND I UNDERSTAND THAT ACCORDING TO CALIFORNIA PENAL CODE THAT MY MODEL 19 NEEDS TO BE UNLOADED AND LOCKED IN A CASE WHILE I AM DRIVING.IS THIS CORRECT
Old February 10, 2011, 07:55 AM   #2
dlb435

Sure you can't just stay home? I think you're stressing way too much.
Old February 10, 2011, 11:00 AM   #3
CowTowner

Unloaded, locked in a case not in the passenger compartment.
Ammo secured separately but also not accessible from the passenger compartment is how I do it. Haven't had a problem with law enforcement over it yet. Of course, that makes the firearm useless until you get into your hotel room.

BTW, I unload at Exit 0 on I-10. The last possible exit before the river.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy

Last edited by CowTowner; February 10, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old February 10, 2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

Traveling with Firearms in California

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.
Old February 10, 2011, 12:41 PM   #5
maestro pistolero

Unloaded, locked in a hard sided case or your trunk. Mags can be loaded but not in the gun. Mags can be in the case, though.

No mags greater than 10 rounds. Leave your regular capacity mags home. Get some ten rounders.

Loaded open carry is OK with a visible loaded mag NOT in the gun. But if you attempt this, (not recommended) educate yourself and prepare to be questioned by police and your firearm checked. If UOC (unloaded open carrying) be careful about school zones, as they are nearly impossible to avoid.

And please STOP SHOUTING! Using all caps is very bad form on an internet forum.

Good luck!