The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2004, 06:54 PM   #1
Fred S

Off-center Flash Holes?

I'm reloading some Greek Olympic .223 brass. Some of them have off-center flash holes. I've been pitching ones with way off center flash holes. Would they be any problem to use?

GO ARMY
Old August 27, 2004, 10:46 PM   #2
Paul Fitz Jones

Best Brass

I feel from my decades of experience that American once fired Gi brass is the best brass for the price and the longest lived in reloading because it is thicker than all Civilian brass in my extremely large collection.

I also feel that anyone that thinks its too much trouble to remove the primer pocket crimp sure don't get the benefits.
Old August 28, 2004, 08:39 AM   #3
Fred S

Paul:

Thanks, I know everyone considers LC the superior brass. But that was not my question. (I have LC that I use for natch ammo). Do you have any idea how off-set flash holes would effect the function of the round?

GO ARMY
Old August 28, 2004, 04:16 PM   #4
Paul Fitz Jones

Off center flash holes

My point was that by my using American GI rifle brass in the calibers that it was available I have never seen an off center flash hole. Also in high volume pistol reloading where I have made millions of rounds, I never looked at a flash hole and never will in pistol calibers using quality brass that I had faith in.

It would be up to you trying to determine if there was a difference and what it boils down to is what you choose to have faith in and there are only pennies involved.

I have been a Distinguished Expert all my life no matter what I shot and my advice is to load as much ammo at a time in the same temperature conditions with every factor as identical as possible then practice, practice then practice some more instead of worrying about the tiny things.

The only exception is if you are within a point or two of winning a goal then do whatever it takes to give you more faith in your ammo.

But for biginners I feel it is a waste of time that could be spent in study or practice.

Paul
Police Firearms Instructor
Old August 31, 2004, 11:31 PM   #5
Centenniel

I have used cases that had off-center flash holes without problems. I have numerous Lake City 30-'06 cases that have off-center flash holes. Go ahead and load those cases. They should work okay for all but the most exacting purposes of extreme precision target shooting.