The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2004, 09:08 PM   #1
Bandit01

ABC's of Reloading

Is the book on video. I thought that I saw it somewhere. Can someone please let me know.
Old August 17, 2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Arc Angel

Tough one! If you like reloading videos, one of my favorites is Dillon's XL-650 instruction video. Lots and lots of good reloading information there!

http://dillonprecision.com/template/...TOKEN=80192603

And, then, there's always,

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/a...eItemID=177659

Hope this is what you're looking for.
Old August 18, 2004, 09:15 AM   #3
No4Mk1

The Varmint Hunters Association did a very good video titled "Reloading I : Basic - Intermediate" that can be found on their webpage www.varminthunter.org under the online store section. It is well done and has lots of useful information and visual instruction.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old August 18, 2004, 09:45 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Bandit01 - I assume you mean Dean Grennell's "ABC's of Reloading"? I haven't seen it on video anywhere.
Old August 19, 2004, 01:35 AM   #5
Smokey Joe

Why a vid?

Grennell's The ABC's of Reloading could never be put on video—there is just too much technical detail.

Why would you want a video? The basic steps to reloading are QUITE simple; it's the paying attention to details that makes handloaded ammo so much better than store-bought. If you don't "get" a detail on a vid, you have to rewind and re-play the whole thing over. If the same thing happens when you study a book, you just turn to the appropriate page and re-read that page. The Table of Contents, or the Index, can get you the correct page in a jiffy.

And you have to pay attention to the details to do it safely. The author's picture in the front of the book in question is a testament as to why this is so.

I apologize if this sounds elitist, but if you haven't got the patience to read a book—or several books—on reloading, and get the details straight, you may not have the patience to do a careful, SAFE, consistent job with the equipment, and are better off just buying your ammo.

If I'm not careful, this is going to turn into a rant about schools that graduate kids who can't read nor study, and about the electronic generation that expects everything to play like a video game.

Suffice it to say, that reloading is one of those things where the basics are simple, and the nuances are a lifetime of study. You have to pay attention, and understand what you're doing.

--Smokey Joe
Old August 19, 2004, 09:13 AM   #6
Bandit01

Another one with a stick up there

Mr. Joe, relax!

If I wasn't a careful reader, I would never have graduated in the top 10% of my Law class. And thank you so much for explaining the difficult parts of a book, i.e. the Table of Contents and the Index. I really could have used you several years ago in my Tax class.

Anyway, it was a simple question that didn't require you to read into my question. F.Y.I., I already have the book and I'm almost finished reading it (believe it or not, I was able to get past the T.O.C. and Index). If you must know, I had a conversation with someone earlier regarding reloading books and I thought that I saw this book listed on some web sight in video format.

Now that you have the full scope of my inquiry--do you see how innocent it was. Do you see how your lecture was completely unnecessary.
Old August 19, 2004, 10:39 AM   #7
No4Mk1

Chill, Joe....

I read 3 different books on reloading (inlcuding the ABC's) and still found the video very useful. It is one thing to see a picture and description of how an operation is performed, and quite another to actually see it performed real-time. I agree that as a stand-alone resource a video is a poor substitute for the sort of study that should go into reloading, but it is a very useful compliment to that study.

Bandit01, I had assumed that you were looking for some form of complimentary video to suplement your study, and it seems this is the case. As such, I again whole heartedly urge you to check out the Varmint Hunters video I referenced above.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old August 20, 2004, 11:26 PM   #8
Smokey Joe

Ok...

OK, I overreacted. Thanks for caring.

--Smokey Joe
Old August 24, 2004, 04:19 PM   #9
Bandit01

Actually, we don't care.
But at least you're man enough to somewhat admit a mistake--therefore, you get 2 points in my book.
Old August 26, 2004, 12:17 AM   #10
Bandit01

I just finished reading the ABC's of Reloading. Sorry but it was a boring book. I will admit though, the author covered a lot of my questions/issues. Also, sites like this and GlockTalk, covers a lot of information that the author covers. I feel a lot more confident regarding the reloading process and of the tools that are needed. Looking at the step-by-step process in the book and looking at the NRA's virtual reloading video, I feel confident that I can do this. Hopefully though, I won't have the same misfortune as the author (the hand incident) and that I can continue this process in the coming years.
Thanks to all that provided me with unbiased insight into this hobby.
(God I can't wait to make some 10mm rounds)