The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 2004, 12:28 AM   #1
GASCHECK

Wet Primers

SHOOTERS:
WHat to do with primers that have been caught in a flood. I posed this question to a few people and got answers from "Call Haz-Mat" (this from an ammunition co.) :barf: to "Send them to me if you don't want them!" I tend to believe the latter suggestion, because isn't the primer mix wet when pressed into the caps? Someone said the mix becomes unstable if wet and then dried. But that's how they make them!!! Right? Any good answers out there?? Thanks!
Gascheck
Old August 9, 2004, 01:19 AM   #2
mtnboomer

Well the problem stems from the fact that, as you say, they were in a flood and the water that saturated them was probably contaminated with dirt, as well as other chemicals it picked up along the way. This will remain as impurities in the priming compound causing misfires, hangfires or duds. It can also leave microscopic grit in the primers that will be propeled from the case at hypervelocity and can erode barrels.

If you don't want to mess with the EPA, or anyone else, when disoping of them. My suggestion would be to find a strong steel box or barrel and burn them in a safe area.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old August 10, 2004, 10:54 PM   #3
Paul Fitz Jones

Wet Primers

I have an acquaintance who bought quite a few million primers that had gotten wet and he trucked them to a warehouse in Arizona and stored them til they dried out and made a nice profit selling them.

Fitz