The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2004, 11:29 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

What sort of bowl or bin system do you use to organize/store brass?

??
Old July 24, 2004, 12:18 PM   #2
shootz

Coffee cans for fired stuff. once sorted I try to keep them in boxes. cardboard of mtm plastic

Rich
Old July 24, 2004, 12:30 PM   #3
steveno

empty cardboard bulk bullet boxes all over the spare bedroom
Old July 24, 2004, 01:31 PM   #4
griz

I use plastic butter or ice cream containers for higher volume pistol stuff. The lids keep out dust and reduce spills. The smaller quantities are supposed to go in the Arko bins on the wall, and about two thirds of them have attained that level of organization.
Old July 24, 2004, 03:15 PM   #5
rwilson452

storage

I use several things. Loaded pistol I keep in the large coffee cans. Empty pistol brass I keep in plastic drawers ( steritlite type stuff) rifle brass I keep in the 3 lb butter tubs. Loaded rifle ammo is in 20 or 50 round plastic ammo boxes the 20 round boxes are for load development. M1 Garand ammo is in enbloc clips in bandoleers. 22LR is in original containers and stored in ziplock type bags. way back when I used those 100 round plastic ammo boxes for my pistol ammo then figured out it was just as easy to snag them out of a coffee can to load mags and speed loaders. factory self defence pistol ammo is in original boxes until it goes in a mag or speed loader. self defence mags get rotated monthly. I have enough mags to cycle them one month duty two months rest.
Old July 24, 2004, 03:16 PM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Brass organization? Who, ME???

I bring it back from the range in various containers. It gets dumped into heavy cardboard boxes until sorted into still other boxes. Once cleaned in brass shaker, it is sorted into heavy zip top freezer bags - - Quart size for smaller quantities, gallon size for .45, .38 Spl, and 9mm.

Best,
Johnny
Old July 25, 2004, 12:57 AM   #7
scottys1

Visit your local wallyworld. They have inexpensive tupperware type containers of all shapes, sizes, colors, and descriptions.
Old July 25, 2004, 02:33 AM   #8
mtnboomer

Basically just keep it out from under the dear wife's feet and life will be much more enjoyable.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old August 7, 2004, 12:55 PM   #9
Gewehr98

Those big bins found at Lowes or Home Depot.

See under the bench, behind the bullet boxes?

(Pay no attention to the messy bench, it's since been cleaned up)

They come in different sizes and colors, and stack nicely. I put a label on the front cardholder of each one, with the respective name of the brass type held inside.

Neural Misfires
Old August 7, 2004, 01:16 PM   #10
LAH

I use 5 gal. plastic buckets for the most used stuff, 38 Special and 45 ACP. 45 Colt, 357, and 44 Mag. goes into gallon container after cleaning.
Old August 7, 2004, 06:23 PM   #11
Jeeper

I have found that the 88 cent shoe boxes from walmart are the best I have found. It is easy to get some shelf brackets and fit a ton of them in a small area since they are all the same size.

You can see how many fit in a corner of my reloading room

Old August 7, 2004, 09:34 PM   #12
Arub

I have a couple of sand bags full of .40S&W and 9mm out in the garage. In use, fired but not cleaned brass goes into coffee cans as does cleaned brass waiting loading. Loaded ammo goes into 50 round plastic cases, old factory boxes and trays, and plastic freezer bags, depending on what caliper and whats available for storage.
Old August 7, 2004, 10:01 PM   #13
LAH

Very nice Jeeper.
Old August 8, 2004, 01:06 AM   #14
GASCHECK

Organize-Store.

I use .30 cal ammo cans for most everything. I put in a thin wood divider and keep the loaded ammo in one side and the fired brass in the back. You can get 200 .45 Colt rounds in one half, and lots more 9mm or.38. Almost everything in bulk is in ammo cans. Being square, they are more space efficient than round containers. And they fit neatly on shelves. Love 'em!
Small quantities of small items go in square plastic refrigerator food containers from the dollar store. You don't have to buy expensive Tupperware or Rubbermaid stuff.
Gascheck
Old August 8, 2004, 09:47 AM   #15
JCM298

I rinse out my empty powder containers and store my brass in them, after cleaning and sorting by brand. Masking tape and a magic marker make a fine label and brand/caliber marking keeps them separated.

When I first started to reload, I kept track of how many cases were in each container and deducted the number I used from each container as I reloaded.
As I built up my supply of brass, I stopped doing this.

After 14 years of reloading, I now have enough brass to last a long time.

John
Old August 8, 2004, 11:01 AM   #16
Jim Watson

I keep brass in bullet boxes, the ones for 500 .45s. I have some that are wide and shallow that I prefer to the more usual cubical boxes.
Old August 9, 2004, 05:09 PM   #17
knightkrawler00

Everythying goes into 5 gallon buckets until it is cleaned and sorted. Then it goes into plastic sandwich bags in quantities of 100, sorted by headstamp. Then they will get primed and put back into the bag, if there is an extra primer or piece of brass, I know to double check and see where I screwed up. Once loaded they go into ammo cans or plastic ammo boxes.
Old August 14, 2004, 04:29 AM   #18
WESHOOT2

someday when I upgrade my computers so I can download my digital photos so I can up-

load them so you can see them............

I use coffee cans, because they have lids, are free, and are stackable.
I have lots of cans.
Old August 15, 2004, 07:44 AM   #19
BHP9

I use medium sized Rubbermaid storeage boxes (the blue ones) then put labels on them.

Works for me.

BHP9.
Old August 15, 2004, 11:02 PM   #20
Dave R

I use plastic sandwich bags.
Old August 16, 2004, 02:58 PM   #21
Jbar4Ranch

Several years ago, there was a local store that had a bunch of large mouthed, screw lidded, slope-topped, plastic candy jars. Remember the glass ones that were always on the counter at the General Store? (Yeah, I'm oooold) Same thing, only plastic. I bought about twenty of 'em, and I'd like to get about thirty more, but I haven't seen 'em since.

SASS 47015
Old August 18, 2004, 03:11 PM   #22
dan_s

30 cal ammo cans, two for each caliber, one marked clean, the other marked dirty. Take the dirty cans to the range with me..