The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2004, 05:01 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Best Load , .45 acp , for Practice, for 4" barrel

My Kimber CDP compact is my primary defensive handgun, and I plan to be practicing with it a lot. I want a load that is reasonably accurate (but very accurate is not necessary), reasonably clean (cleaner the better), not too wimpy (because I want to essentially replicate actual defensive use with my practice), but not so powerful as to unduly beat up my gun, and is optimized for the 4" barrel. Oh, and one from which the powder meters easily from my Dillon measure. So what loads meet these criteria - if you can, give me your choice for 185 grain, and another with these criteria for 230gr lead (if different). Right now I've got a bunch of 230 lead bullets to use up, but after that, I'm switching to 185s for practice (although I'm not sure whether these will be lead or jacketed). Thanks.

P.S. Also, I have some Starline brass for .45 super (450 SMC) and a 6" springfield to shoot it in - if you have a load for this round as well, please let me know.
Old July 1, 2004, 05:54 PM   #2
Any .45

Federal hydrashok premium .45, or federal gold metal, sometimes when i have money ballistic clean.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old July 2, 2004, 08:17 AM   #3
Quantrill

4.0gr of 700X under a 230gr lead round nose should do it. After you are done with the LRN bullets as practice, I recomend a 200gr bullet such as the H&G#68. Most all lead bullet makers make some form of this standard bullet. You can use the same powder load as the RNL bullet. Make sure your pistol will feed wadcutter(185gr) and Semi-wadcutter (200gr) bullets before buying and loading too many. Some folks just stick with 230gr LRN. Quantrill
Old July 5, 2004, 01:08 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Thanks Quantrill. Which of those 2 bullets is more accurate, etc., with that charge of powder - 200 or 230?

Can anyone else post their current pet .45acp load? I've done a search and have several threads on the subject, but I want to have the most up-to-date info available, with any new discoveries that have been gleaned from the collective knowledge base here. Thanks.
Old July 5, 2004, 02:57 PM   #5
Quantrill

I use 3.5gr of 700X under the 200gr H&G#68 or H&G #130 185gr. as a target load in my lightly springed Gold Cup. I use 4.5gr of 700X under the 230gr Lead round Nose as a carry load in a heavy springed Commander. The 4.0gr of 700X under the 200 gr. Semi-wadcutter would make a good practice load with positive action results that would not beat up the pistol. Quantrill
Old July 5, 2004, 04:08 PM   #6
Jim Watson

What IS your carry load?
You can buy Remington and Winchester standard hollowpoints, Rem G.S., Win Silvertip, Hornady XTP, Sierra JHP, and Speer Gold Dots. About any usual factory JHP except Hydrashok or gimmick ammo like PowRBall or EFMJ can be replicated or closely simulated.
You need the use of a chronograph to adjust loads to match your business ammo (or a bit under if you are carrying +P.)
I load mine with Accurate #2 Improved and get factory equivalent velocity with the starting loads, much to my surprise. Many folks use too slow a powder in even full power .45ACP and get powder fouling and erratic velocity. Remember, at one time the Army loaded GI ball with Bullseye.

Cast bullets are cheap and accurate, fine for marksmanship practice, but paying a little more for the JHP as used in your normal carry factory load will add confidence in the function of your gun when it counts.
Old July 5, 2004, 06:48 PM   #7
srsmith

For the 45 Auto I use 5.1 gr of TiteGroup.
From a 5" 1911, my chronograph reads about:
840 fps with a 230 gr Berry or West Coast Plated Round Nose, near full power
830 fps with a 200 gr Berry of West Coast Plated Round Nose, just makes major
800 fps with a 185 gr Berry Plated Hollow Base Round Nose, nice plinker

Since the powder charge and OAL (1.263) are the same for all these,
all I need to do is pick the bullet I want and run them through my SDB.

Be safe & have fun !
Old August 18, 2004, 09:44 AM   #8
MADISON

.45 ACP practice load

I load the 2 following loads:
5.0 to 5.7 grains of Win. 231
4.0 to 5.0 grains of Bullseye.
To go any lower than 4.0 gr of Bullseye with most Semi-Auto's requires a change to a TARGET recoil spring.
Old August 21, 2004, 10:49 AM   #9
Desert Dog

PM sent on .45 Super load data... Enjoy...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old August 21, 2004, 12:10 PM   #10
gyp_c2

hmmm...

Quote:
Cast bullets are cheap and accurate, fine for marksmanship practice, but paying a little more for the JHP as used in your normal carry factory load will add confidence in the function of your gun when it counts.
I tend to go that route with an ACP too...I like the 200gr XTP and have the most reliable, accurate results with about 8.0gr of WAP or similar...

It doesn't fail, has a minimal flash and recoil, and is THE most accurate bullet in My 4" carry gun...
Old August 21, 2004, 04:25 PM   #11
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

My standard .45 practice-and-match load:

Cast RNL 230 bullet and 5.3 gr. W-231.

This was a changeover from same bullet with 6.2 of Unique. I found a commercial loader who would sell me a couple of pounds of 231 at a time and it was far more economical.

I use the Montana Gold jacketed 230 bullet and 5.6 gr. W-231 shooting my Thompson, just because cleaning out the Cutts Compensator is something of a chore after five or six hundred lead bullet loads.

Best,
Johnny