The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 4, 2014, 02:35 PM   #1
70GTvert

What can I get for a ASM Walker barrel I modified

My Uberti Walker had a problem where I bulged the barrel (shear stupidity on my part) So I went to Numrich and bougth one of the 2 remaining barrels they said were for a Uberti. I got it and it had ASM Tradditions on it but they assured me it would work. So, I defarbed the ASM Traditions markings and used Arts Belgium Blue on it (LOVE THAT STUFF, but that is another story). To get it to work I had to widen my wedge and even then I had to make some 1mm washers to put behind the nipples to make it work. Decided I was not happy with this and contacted VTI who had a couple of REAL Uberti walker barrels. Now other then the defarb (it still has US 1847, a couple of proof marks and a serial number) it is pure ASM barrel. I paid $195 for it, what do you think I can get for it with the defarb I noted? If someone wanted it for an Uberti I can throw in the modified wedge and a small supply of those nipple washers I made, but would rather see it go to a ASM needing a barrel. Has the loading latch and front sight with it. Thanks for your help. John
Old November 4, 2014, 03:22 PM   #2
DD4lifeusmc

how much

probably not as much as you paid for it.
But then again depends on the next guy that needs one and there are none.
But a question or two.
Why did you need washers under the nipples?

Why did you have to widen the wedge and how did you fo that?

Might be good future info.
Old November 4, 2014, 04:17 PM   #3
70GTvert

The wedge needed widened since it went all the way into the hole for it and did not tighten the barrel when in was in as far as it would go. I have a MIG welder and I welded a 4mm bead to the front side of it and then squared it off and re-blued it. That allowed it to fit and tighten the barrel. For some reason the ASM barrel on a Uberti frame allowed the cylinder to ride further forward thus the hammer was not able to hit the caps that were on the nipples with enough force to set them off. I used 1 1/2mm brass wire to make "washers" to place behind the nipples and that took care of the ignition problem. It still left you with a little extra head space between the cylinder and the barrel but it shot fine and actually was more accurate then it was with the original Uberti barrel. I just decided I did not want to have all the "rigging" I had to do to get this odd ball combination to work. I should have just returned it but I get on a roll and don't always do the smart thing.
Old November 4, 2014, 07:14 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

You've altered it so I don't think there is much chance of breaking even on it - your only hope is to find someone who has a pistol it will work on and who wants it. That said . . .

I'd try selling it on eBay. If you're worried about loosing $ on it, put a "reserve" on it. I have sold parts, pieces on eBay and you'd be surprised what some of the stuff brought. I bought a "kit" BP revolver once as I needed a part off if it and it no longer was made . . . by parting it out, I made well over double what I paid for it - which surprised the heck out of me. In the end . . . your barrel is going to be worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Good luck to you!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 4, 2014, 08:54 PM   #5
DD4lifeusmc

barrel

Seems to me, the slots in barrel are located differently allowing more cylinder
end gap.
But this would also let the cylinder move back and forth on the arbor.
This would play havoc with the hand / spring rachet mechanism.
And a stout load might lift the hammer a tad, letting the cylinder bang backwards into the shield, causing more issues.
So yep good thing you decided to do the correct barrel.

And I too have gotten tht hair and done things when I should of stopped and thought........................

But Ebay would be a good place. Figure out the minimum you'll take for it and be satisfied. Use that as a reserve.
No bites, you might have to adjust pricing.
Old November 10, 2014, 04:29 PM   #6
70GTvert

Well it looks like I have to live with the arbor I have. Uberti is no longer supplying a stand alone arbor, just with a frame and neither VTI or Numrick offer frames. I think all will be good with a little brass sheet soldered to my arbor.
Old November 10, 2014, 11:31 PM   #7
swathdiver

ASM Walker barrels sell for about $100 on ebay.
Old November 11, 2014, 10:12 AM   #8
70GTvert

There is only one there and on gunbroker, it is mine that I have up for auction. First bid on one and I end the other auction.
Old November 11, 2014, 06:27 PM   #9
swathdiver

There are two. The second is not listed as a Walker, just .44 big or something like that. Came across it doing a "CVA" search. CVA used to sell brass and steel frame ASMs and later Piettas.
Old November 13, 2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Gaucho Gringo

The CVA barrel listed is for a 1860 ASM Colt.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old November 15, 2014, 10:01 PM   #11
swathdiver

That was the other one the guy was selling. Probably sold by now.