The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 5, 2014, 04:25 PM   #1
noelf2

brass percussion caps?

I walked through an antique store in Tappahannock Virginia a couple weeks ago and found a brass capper, one of the straight line type, sitting in a random box of tools. It's a bit tarnished, but not bad. I didn't need it, but just couldn't leave it there. Gave 'em 2 bucks for it. Thing is it had 8 or so old caps still in it. They look brass in color, and are cut uneven on the open ends. Now I've been shooting black powder since I was a teenager in the 70's, but caps were always copper colored and more or less cut even at the open side. Anyone seen these before?
Old November 5, 2014, 05:43 PM   #2
kwhi43

My guess they are Dixie brand caps from Dixie Gun Works. Made in Itaty.
Old November 5, 2014, 06:13 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Yup I have some here I've been saving. Got a little red plastic tin 1/2 full of them right in front of me. Yellow Brass. Container is labeled : Dixie Gun Works Union City Tenn. No:11 Extra Hot Percussion Caps. Made in Italy. Nothing written on the caps themselves. There sides are ribbed looking. Gray looking primer powder also.

As usual [email protected] is spot on the ball about your caps noelf2. I'll bet he's shot up his fair share of these neat old looking caps too.
Old November 5, 2014, 06:34 PM   #4
noelf2

Yes, gray primer powder and ribbed sides. I guess Dixie doesn't sell them anymore..?
Old November 5, 2014, 09:02 PM   #5
44 Dave

I have a few left from the 60's.
They are Italian made and sold under different labels.
They are the best, they don't blow to shreds and fly off in to the works.
Old November 6, 2014, 09:58 AM   #6
noelf2

I would be surprised if the ones in this capper would even pop. Who knows what they were exposed to over the years. But, I will give them a try.
Old November 6, 2014, 01:05 PM   #7
BerdanSS

I found a small handful of those in my dads old muzzle loader box.

While not unevenly cut on the end...The German hot dynamite noble caps are brass. Both No. 11 and musket.
Old November 6, 2014, 06:37 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

I've still got a few red tins of Dixie Caps kicking around that I purchased from them in the early to mid 1960s. I got them when I purchased a 1860 Army from them. I never liked 'em - the ones I got had no flex to them like a ribbed Remington, etc. did as far as pinching them if they didn't fit the nipple quite right. Also,, mine weren't as deep as a normal cap like Remington, CCI etc. Probably just me but that's why I still have 'em kicking around.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63